Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Skimmed Brake Discs

steveruss

Hi guys hope you can help,

I bought a 3 year old Celica 1.8VVTi from a dealer 4 months ago. During the pre handover service the dealer told me they had replaced both the rear tyres as they had previously worn unevenly, they assured me this was a common fault on Celica’s that only occurs with Pirellis tyres. I also read a similar reassuring post on this forum.

Within a week of owning the vehicle the curb side rear wheel started making a light scraping noise, each scrape corresponding to one rotation of the wheel. The noise could only be heard when the windows were open.

The dealer originally said this was due to the handbrake shoes being wrongly adjusted; they re-adjusted them and greased the discs and pads with copper brake grease.

This however did not solve the problem for long, they then said the discs where possibly warped or misshapen so they skimmed all four of them.

This solved the scraping problem but know I have wurzzzzz noise when braking between 10 and 0 mph, they said this noise will disappear after the brake pads have bedded in to the newly skimmed discs after about 500 miles.

It has now been 3 months and over 3000 miles later and the noise still continues, is this normal? The discs look and feel smooth and the car appears to handle as normal.

Does anyone have any views?

Thanks

Hi guys hope you can help,

I bought a 3 year old Celica 1.8VVTi from a dealer 4 months ago. During the pre handover service the dealer told me they had replaced both the rear tyres as they had previously worn unevenly, they assured me this was a common fault on Celica’s that only occurs with Pirellis tyres. I also read a similar reassuring post on this forum.

Within a week of owning the vehicle the curb side rear wheel started making a light scraping noise, each scrape corresponding to one rotation of the wheel. The noise could only be heard when the windows were open.

The dealer originally said this was due to the handbrake shoes being wrongly adjusted; they re-adjusted them and greased the discs and pads with copper brake grease.

This however did not solve the problem for long, they then said the discs where possibly warped or misshapen so they skimmed all four of them.

This solved the scraping problem but know I have wurzzzzz noise when braking between 10 and 0 mph, they said this noise will disappear after the brake pads have bedded in to the newly skimmed discs after about 500 miles.

It has now been 3 months and over 3000 miles later and the noise still continues, is this normal? The discs look and feel smooth and the car appears to handle as normal.

Does anyone have any views?

Thanks

Personally i wouldn`t entertain skimmed disc. For the price they might as well have fitted new. Anyway. It`s not abnormal for brakes to make odd noises. Especially if your actually listening out for it. Is it particularly loud? Are you getting abnormally large accumulations of brake dust on your wheels. You don`t say what mileage the car has done but it could well be non OE pads have been fitted. Sintered pads will make more noise/dust than non sintered for example.

I assume the brakes are fine in all other respects? :unsure:

hi,

I don't know much, i'm also finding that the vehicle's curb side rear wheel is making a light scraping noise, each scrape corresponding to one rotation of the wheel. The noise could only be heard when the windows were open

I thought this might be becasuse the pads i'm told are fairly new (only bought the car last month) and i've been told that because the car had not been used for a while before i bought it and so the discs had corroded slightly, and that it would come off after driving it for a while

Currently i'm still getting scraping sound, but not what t do about it

Neil

have either of you tried a couple of emergency stops, or atleast some heavy braking to clean them up a bit??

Could try brake and accelerator together as well?????

have either of you tried a couple of emergency stops, or atleast some heavy braking to clean them up a bit??

Could try brake and accelerator together as well?????

Burnout? :bookworm:

Thanks

Hi i've got a corolla and that makes the same kind of noise i've had new disc's fitted to mine along with new pads and it still never sorted the problem 11000 miles on. My dealer did skim my discs but to be honest this made matters worse so they swapped them no problem but i find if your listening for the noise you hear it, i asked me dad if he could hear anything and he could not but when he drove it and listened out for it he to heard it. I told the dealer about it on the last service and they said there is a slight noise there but nothing to worry about, i think its cos these toyotas are so quiet inside any little rattle sounds worse than it is. Has long has my brakes work and feel a nice pressure i aint gonna worry about it the cars got a good toyota sound system in it i'll turn it up another notch.

My gen 6 does it, a faint repeating noise that you can only hear at low speeds with the windows down. If its anything then I think its the handbrake in my case, as its had to be tightened and its slightly creaky. I don't think it effects the car.

Thanks for the responces

The car has done around 36000 miles, the noise isn't particully loud its more because its there, I doubt any passangers would notice unless I pointed it out.

I took it to Kwickfit for an independent view, they said the discs seem fine with plenty of depth (of the top of his head), they did say the front brakes could have green pads?? which could be more abrasive hense the noise.

What are non OE pads?

When breaking at low speeds on uneven survaces eg minor roads the steering can wobble or pull to one side but I've always put that down to having fat 17" wheels, does anyone else get that? Flat A-roads nothing, straight and smooth.

I do get brake dust but nothing abnormal, the wheels also get hot after relativly short journeys with average breaking is this normal?

Am probably worring about nothing.

Thanks for the responces

The car has done around 36000 miles, the noise isn't particully loud its more because its there, I doubt any passangers would notice unless I pointed it out.

I took it to Kwickfit for an independent view, they said the discs seem fine with plenty of depth (of the top of his head), they did say the front brakes could have green pads?? which could be more abrasive hense the noise.

What are non OE pads?

When breaking at low speeds on uneven survaces eg minor roads the steering can wobble or pull to one side but I've always put that down to having fat 17" wheels, does anyone else get that? Flat A-roads nothing, straight and smooth.

I do get brake dust but nothing abnormal, the wheels also get hot after relativly short journeys with average breaking is this normal?

Am probably worring about nothing.

All sounds pretty healthy. :thumbsup: OE = Original Equipment. :D The wobble is pretty much de rigeur with 17`s :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links