Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 D4d Engine

Webbo

Same as all of the above, my 03 Rav4 D4-D is doing the same it gets upto about 2500 revs on the motorway in 5th gear then sort of stops accelerating it then it then jumps as if the turbo has caught up and accelerates again. Any ideas my local garage ran a diagnostic and the problem went away when I turned the engine back off and on again.

• 3 weeks later...

Got same problem.

Its not the turbo - I got it reconditioned and did not make a difference.

It has nothing to do with the temperature - Where I live it never goes below 10 degrees centigrade

The exhaust is not blocked.

I already added some injector cleaner.

It is not the hot wire air sensor - I got it cleaned.

My mechanic thinks its is something electrical. The error code is P1251. We shall check the SVC's and their connections.

One thing I noted is that the car takes a short while to start. I changed the Battery but it remained the same. Perhaps the SVC's are not letting in enough fuel - only a thought i'm no expert.

Can anyone think of something else!!

I have the Previa 2.0 D4D so you may be wondering why I am posting in the RAV4 forum! I've found the RAV4 forum useful for doing work on the Previa so I'm cross posting here as this problem you have on the RAV4 sound so familiar to me.

I have had the turbo replaced after getting the MIL coming on under heavy acceleration. It would drive ok under gentle throttle but fail under heavy throttle use while overtaking and was dangerous to drive in my opinion. The problem did go away during summer months and came back when it got colder for some reason. I have the old turbo sitting on my bench and the wastegate is stuck.

After the turbo was replaced however, I did notice some black smoke when the throttle was blipped while parked up. This developed over time into a complete lack of power at 3k revs. It was like a switch. Hitting 3k and it went completely flat but no MIL. The other main symptom of this was that I could lay down a black streak of exhaust onto the road (I have a side exit exhaust) when the throttle was blipped at standstill. The dealers foreman worked on my car for two days and finally replaced the SCV's which fixed the 3K, no power and black smoke problem.

I've purposely been concise in my post here as the whole story unfolds in this link and is similar in some ways to this thread.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77292

Hope this helps a bit.

....very interesting to read this post, my T180 was in the garage today for this very problem! basically I have very poor acceleration below 2000 revs with the engine misfiring particularly in 6th gear at low revs, also the fuel economy has dropped by around 10% to 29 mpg

I have had the rav into the garage several times for this, so far they have cleaned the EGR valve, replaced the CAT and reprogrammed the ECU but still i have the same problem! anyway now the plan is replace the EGR valve to see if this is the problem although they admit they aren't sure!!!!!! :o

To date all this work has been done on warranty but my greatest worry is that this runs out on march 1st and who knows what else will go wrong :unsure:

should i write to Toyota GB to demand an extension to the standard three year warranty????

You could write to them and ask what the implications of the situation are. They are normally pretty good in that respect and may agree to extend it as far as the current issue is concerned.

• 6 months later...
Hi folks,

I'm new to the site, can someone shed light on the following fault, my RAV 4 diesel is great to about 3000rpm after that there's a mysterious intermittent power loss, although the engine does not cut out. I've tried injector cleaner through the system but to no avail. My local Toyota dealer reckon it could be a faulty turbo? any ideas?

Hi, i have had the same problem for some time and i been told the same as you along with many other... i have sorted the problem myself. try losening the fuel cap and drive it, this sorted my problem straight away. i'm guessing breather is blocked in the tank somewhere