Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need Real World Advice On A Turbo

Junglist80

Hi guys, i was hoping to get help in terms of turbo purchasing.

I am not the owner of an MR2 turbo but i want to move into owning one and i am very wary because i dont wanna buy a dog and end up losing out on a good experience.

I have about 4k as a budget for the car itself. and i notice that the rev3 supposed to be the better model to go for, but they are generally out of the range i have for prices. this leaves a rev 2. i see they have highish mileages too i.e. 80k on the clock..

my question is what major differences are there between the 2 in terms of driving, running and life span of the engines? am i ok to buy a rev2 for about 3.5k or 4k and will i be getting a great car?

cheers for any help.

Buy mine !!

The rev2 is a great car, you'll always be about 20 ponies down compared to a rev3, but then you'll have a quicker spool.

thanks guys, with regards to the links with the revision versions, i am aware that there are the differences in power and things like LSD etc etc, but i am asking more about the side of things of, will i really notice a major difference? on a rev2 r the engines bombproof? would i be better off saving the extra cash for a rev3 over the rev2? or can i get into buying the rev2 and still have a kick a55 car? if i rechip he rev2 can i get it similar in performance to a rev3? etc etc.. cheers..

I've driven both, and they are different drives .. the rev2 hits earlier, but the rev3 hits longer.

But no, in every day driving (qand even track) you'll be hard pushed to tell.

Only in a straight 1/4 mile will you see the difference. If you will be changing turbo, it matters even less (swap to a mkiii supra CT26 and you'll have more power than the rev3 anyhow).

so looking at a rev 2 is not a bad thing and for my first mr2 i would be fine with this? in terms of the ecu, i have read on another site that you can buy a replacement unit that improves the bhp AND the fuel economy!! is this possible?

One of the guys at Max Power (the magazine) has a REV 2, and he's put a REV 3 ECU on it to make it quicker!

P.S I only bought Max Power because of the drifting article in it with an AE86 Spronter Trueno!

Don't see why it wouldn't be safe. They're all good for 300bhp without major internal work.

It was a REV 1 actually not a 2 by the way.

Well it means you can get rid of the AFM (Air Flow Meter) which is one of the major restrictions as far as power is concerned in the REV 1 and 2. So you'd also have to get a MAP sensor and temp sensor plus a new air filter (Apexi is the best). Then you'll have to get a REV 3 igniter and coil as well, which prevents a 5500rpm rev limit occuring due to incompatability problems. Then it would be worth upgrading the injectors to REV 3 540cc ones! Then of course fit the REV 3 CT20B turbo for more power!!!!!

Personally I'm well happy with my standard REV 2. Plenty fast enough for me having moved up from an N/A FWD Corolla GTI 16v TwinCam. But for how long???

Swapping the ECU will mean you have to get a MAP sensor and bin the AFM, you'll need to also swap the injectors etc etc .. can't really see a reason for it and I suspect Max Muppet performance gains are *really* credible ..

I have a REV1, with the mods below.

I have never driven another 2 (rev wise) so i have no comparison, but i have no issues.

Alot of people say the rev 2 well out handles the 1, and the rev 3 is more powerful, but i think with the mods i have, id outhandle and power a stcok rev 2.

So it depends on howmcuh modding you want to do.

The AFM is obviously a restriction over the MAP sensor, but i have a ecu which uses a MAP sensor now ! (when shes mapped) !

but then you'll have a quicker spool.

:blink: I was under the impression the CT20B starts to spool earlier than the CT26??

will i really notice a major difference? on a rev2 r the engines bombproof? would i be better off saving the extra cash for a rev3 over the rev2? or can i get into buying the rev2 and still have a kick a55 car? if i rechip he rev2 can i get it similar in performance to a rev3? etc etc.. cheers..

I noticed quite a big difference going from my 90 Type I to my 93 type III, much like night and day. IMO save and get a Type III, if you get right into them you will want one later on. The 3sgte in general is a very solid reliable motor, I wouldn't say bombproof as it will all come down to how it's been looked after by the previous owner, but unless something silly is done they should love being modified :)

There isn't really a "re-chip" as such....you can get either a piggy back ecu OR a full replacement, as an example i've seen Type I & II turbo's with exhaust, intake, more boost, and a unichip make the same as mine with a cat back exhaust, intake, and more boost . Most say up to 300 RWHP the Type III is the better choice but after that they end up pretty similar.

(swap to a mkiii supra CT26 and you'll have more power than the rev3 anyhow).

I've been looking into this a bit latley and from what I can say it seems to give a similar total power as a 20B......haven't really seen any that are putting out great power.

Cheers

KiwiMR2