Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.8vvti Oil Consumption

copperdog

Sorry to be a new member bringing up this same story but I would like to tell my story, sorry!!! I own a 2001 "Y" Reg 1.8VVTi Hatch. Bought the car from a good friend who had owned car from new as a company vehicle. He raved about the car so much I just had to buy it when his new car arrived. By this time (july last year) the car had covered 45K miles, mostly on either motorway or dual carriageway. My friend had never experienced any noticeable oil useage during his ownership. Before the 50k service was due I checked the oil and was concerned that I had to add over 2.5 litres to the engine before I reached the max level. When I took the car in for service at our local Toyota dealer I mentioned the oil consumption but was told it was perfectly normal!!! (the same dealer have serviced this car from new). During the next 10k I had to top up with somewhere around 4 litres of oil but I had resigned myself with the fact that this car was thirsty for oil.

After asking around for some non-dealer service prices someone mentioned a "timing belt replacement". I thought that this engine had a chain so made some internet queries and hey presto found this site and its wealth of knowledge. After reading many posts regarding oil consumption I went back to my dealer, this time I was told to write in with my concerns which I duly did. I was then advised that under my authorisation I could bring the vehicle in for a strip down so that some measurements could be taken and the information sent to Toyota.

On Monday 12th Sept 2005 I took the car in to have this work carried out. On Wednesday 14th Sept 2005 I received a phone call from the dealer advising me that Toyota were going to cover the cost of a replacement short motor. Hoorah

My advice to all out there is this, if you are sure your car is using excess oil and you have had the car serviced by Toyota then do as I have done, make some noise and get the problem solved.

Yeah i too have the problem on my corolla its a short block problem and effects vvt-i engines from 2000-2002 its only the 1.4 ,1.6, 1.8 units that are effected 1.0 1.3, 1.5, 2.0, 2.4 all seem to be ok at the moment. Toyota are aware of the problem and the avensis carries a hush hush 5 year warrenty if you have oil usage issues. Toyota are aware of the problem but wont admit it openly only to people who have problems with oil usage, thats if you've got a good dealer tho.

Sorry I appear to be another person falling foul of the Toyota hush on oil usage. Like many of you I have had the car from new - Avensis 1.8 VVTI and at 45000 miles have also started to lose oil with the same response from my local dealer - 'that it is normal'. Coming to the end of my warrenty I am bothered that for 2.5 years it has been fine and over the past six months I have needed to keep topping up the oil.

Today I telephoned Toyota using the phone number on their web site. The gentleman who answered told me they were aware of the problem and quoted un - promted by myself that it was using 1Ltr per 1000 miles. He sugested that I contacted their customer services who denied all knowledge of the problem and said they would make enquiries giving me a reference of the call. Although they asked for a phone number they stated that they would not be contacing me with the outcome of their enquiries which I did not think was satisfactory.

Having been made aware of the members club this evening by my son I was surprised to find so many people having the same problem. Being my fourth Toyota and having persuaded my husband, father in law and son to buy one, I feel very disillusioned by Toyota and my local garage for all the business I have given them. I certainly will be looking elsewhere for my next car.

yep hit toyota in sales by honda

park the car near the dealer and put a sign in the window i bet within a week new short block with modified parts

if modified parts then why have they changed them and we alll know they have oil consumption is bad for the environment and toyota adverts say there aim is zero emmisions

umm daft advert when they are aware of faulty cars

Message for Babara, dont take no for an answer, this problem is well know and Toyota dealers should be doing their level best for all their customers!!! My dealer had the work authorised within two days of taking the car in to them. I was a little concerned at first having to authorise the initial strip down but I knew the engine was using far too much oil and my confidence was rewarded. If your local dealer wont play ball then find one that will. At the end of the day they should all want the work as they still make a profit whether its warranty work or retail work. GO FOR IT :lol:

I took my 60,000 mile 2001 1.8 Avensis for a service and mentioned that it had suddenly started to use oil. The service manager told me that Toyota are aware of the problem and that warranty has been extended to 100,000 miles/5 years, provided the car has a full service history with a Toyota dealer. Within a few days authorisation was obtained from Toyota and by the following week it was in for the work to be carried out (new short engine). They also arranged for the stearing rack to be replaced at the same time, another known fault area.

As an aside, in doing the work, they discovered that the gearbox main bearings were breaking up. They managed to get Toyota to supply the parts free of charge, but I had to pay the labour (around £400). I also got them to replace the clutch at parts only cost (another £200). They must have changed the design of the clutch in some way, as it is much lighter than the original, which always disappointed me.

In all, the work that was covered by Toyota was in excess of £3000.

I have used the same Toyota dealer for years, and they are excellent. My advice to anyone who is not so fortunate is to stand your ground.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links