Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 5 Help

chocka

Driving this morning about 1 mile from work I heard this grinding sound coming from the front N/S, brake pedal goes nearly to the floor and the ABS warning light comes on, then the steering felt a bit "wondery"

managed to limp it to work.

is this the end of the hub? Any other ideas? :bookworm:

After a quick look under the car without a jack i could see the serrations from the drive shaft that the ABS sensors reads :eek:

That must mean that the drive shaft has somehow come away from the hub?

I will strip it down at work tomorrow and see what the damage is.

What is the worst case senario? broken hub or drive shaft? where can I get good second hand parts from quickly as I am hiring a car in the mean time

Any help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

After a quick look under the car without a jack i could see the serrations from the drive shaft that the ABS sensors reads :eek:

That must mean that the drive shaft has somehow come away from the hub?

I will strip it down at work tomorrow and see what the damage is.

What is the worst case senario? broken hub or drive shaft? where can I get good second hand parts from quickly as I am hiring a car in the mean time

Any help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

It`s not unheard of on gen 5`s for the drive shaft to shear, Usually caused by the hub nut being overtightened. If it`s a drive shaft get onto TCB they might be able to help you out. :thumbsup:

cheers

I take it they supply good second hand parts

I`ve used them only the one time. No complaints. Everything was clean and in very good condition. :thumbsup:

yes it is a sheared drive shaft :yes:

looks like the wheel bearing has gone which has put an extra strain on the end of the drive shaft. As i took the wheel off the drive shaft nut fell to the floor and the hub assy was all loose.

How can i check to see if the hub is damaged?

yes it is a sheared drive shaft :yes:

looks like the wheel bearing has gone which has put an extra strain on the end of the drive shaft. As i took the wheel off the drive shaft nut fell to the floor and the hub assy was all loose.

How can i check to see if the hub is damaged?

The hub itself should be ok. The wheel bearing should obviously be intact. There should be a small amount of lateral play in the inner race, this will disapear when the hub nut is tightened to the correct torque.

If the outer race of the bearing has broken up completely or spun in the hub then you need to carefully inspect the mating surface of the hub. If it`s badly scored it will be scrap.

Personally i`d put a new bearing in anyway just to be on the safe side. This will give you the opportunity to inspect everything. :thumbsup:

the hub ( part with the wheel studs is knackered, the inner bearing race can be put on by hand, looks like the race has been spinning on it

The main hub carrier looks ok though.

parts sorted!

Found a guy breaking a 93 gen 5, bought the driveshaft and complete hub assy (incl sensor) for £50 + p&p. Well happy

just hope they turn up now!

parts sorted!

Found a guy breaking a 93 gen 5, bought the driveshaft and complete hub assy (incl sensor) for £50 + p&p. Well happy

just hope they turn up now!

Yay. Sounds like a deal. Back on the road for the weekend then. :D :thumbsup: