Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Gauge

Gnome

Filled the Yaris up back on Saturday, and have since clocked up 195 miles.

The 8-bar fuel gauge however, is still at 6 out of 8!

My LCD says; when i toggle through to it, that I have approx 200 miles left in the tank.

Usually at 200 miles, I would be down to half way (4 bars).

I don't know whether it's because it's been fulled to the brim, and it's confused it, or whether it will drop rapidly when the petrol starts to run out.

Just thought I'd ask.

I usually let it get to 2 bars, and then fill up, but when i last filled up, it had been on 1 bar for a fair few miles.

I'm not worried - just curious.

Hopefully you'll be able to decipher my post. :D

Yeah the fuel guage never seems accurate to the range, I've noticed that before!

Mine chops and changes all the time, I tend to rely on the range, which is currently at 120 miles remaining, but the guage is at half a tank still. Bearing in mind I usually get 330 miles to a tank, 120 miles should be less than half....

I find the computer normally changes its mind too and numbers change all of a sudden, I think thats just the car adapting to different driving styles though, like from when I go from driving like a granny to flooring it! :lol:

my last 5 bars go really quickly until i get to the second bar which seems to last ages, i can get 400miles out a tank if i turn off the prodigy :P

I usually fill my car right up whenever I'm passing a decent garage, quite a lot of times I go into the last bar (where it flashes). I try not to do more than 30 miles from when it starts as I know I can get away with that, I'd love to keep driving til I ran out though just to see roughly how many miles is left but I work 10 miles away from home & there's no way I'm walking that if I run out.

I've recently begun to get a bit wary of mine, I know the most I can get out of a full tank is 370 miles (which was recent)..however what Yves taught me to do was reset the odometer everytime you fill up and that way you know how many miles were travelled since the last fill up and that is what I rely on..as soon as she gets to around the 330 mark I know I really should fill up to be on the safe side as I do a 25 mile round trip when I go to work...

I do the same Blue.

Reset the odometer every time I fill up.

Then I can keep an eye on how many miles I've down since filling up.

It's like a constant game, to see how far I can go on a tank.

One of these days I'll run out in the middle of nowhere. :D

Lol.

330 miles?

You gurly racer, you! :D

I'm aiming for the 380 mile mark this time.

Next stop - 400 miles! :D

Ha ha haa - well I'm never afraid to put my foot down if necessary, although not quite a girl racer! :lol:

A little engine thrash never did any harm! :lol:

I do the same Blue.

Reset the odometer every time I fill up.

Then I can keep an eye on how many miles I've down since filling up.

It's like a constant game, to see how far I can go on a tank.

One of these days I'll run out in the middle of nowhere. :D

Yeah I do that too, just not quite to brave to leave her a lot more than 350 max without filling up...the 370 mile really was a test as I made sure that I did journeys around this town only so if she did run out it wouldnt be far from home!!

I also know that a few people on here say that the gauge is slow to go down at first then when it gets to halfway it really goes down quickly... :wacko:

2 tank fulls of petrol gets me from Hull to Southampton and back to Hull, and the fuel does not cost me a penny.

I have notice that the fuel gauge bar went up by one bar once.

I've noticed that my bars sometimes go up also - usually whn I get to 2 or 3 bars, sometimes on startup it'll go up 1 bar and stay like that for a while :unsure:

I notice too that very occasionally when she is one bar from the top sometimes it'll rise by one for a little while..dont take any notice of it tho..technology does odd things!!

I notice too that very occasionally when she is one bar from the top sometimes it'll rise by one for a little while..dont take any notice of it tho..technology does odd things!!

If you're stationary at the time (or before) this happens, it may be the way the car is positioned. If you are parked on a slight slope, the fuel will not being lying flat as it were in the tank for the meter to read correctly. Happens on all cars.......something to do with gravity ;)

Pees me off some mornings actually when I start the car....I have to park on a slope outside my house and it is always complimentary of how much fuel I've got......of course when I'm a mile down the road on the flats, it's a diff story! :(

If you're stationary at the time (or before) this happens, it may be the way the car is positioned.  If you are parked on a slight slope, the fuel will not being lying flat as it were in the tank for the meter to read correctly.  Happens on all cars.......something to do with gravity  ;)

Oh yeah I knew that, but the thing is that my road is flat so there is no slope to cause it...its only done it twice since I've had her so it's nothing that bothers me..but just something I picked up on :yes:

I usually fill up after about 500 miles - that gives me about 100 miles in reserve! (D4D)

1st bar usually goes out after 90 to 130 miles, next at 140 - 170, then seems to be random after that.

I pay attention to the fuel gauge..if not..then I'd be pushing.

I never let it run low ( sucks up the crud on the bottom of ya tank)

and I never fill it up as your driving around with excess weight.

I do have a garage near work..and near home though..so it's very easy

to keep keep her topped up.

In winter though, keep her above half as much as possible. run her low and you'll get condensation in ya fuel tank...tank is made of steel..steel and water and air

lead to corrosion..corrosion is more crud at the bottom of your tank.

Fuel filter obviously looks after this, but run her low alot it will soon restrict fuel flow.

Vipes