55 members have voted

1. 1. How challenging is your work?

• Physically and mentally exhausting
    • Mentally exausting
    • Physically exausting
    • Seasonal bursts of work
    • Autopilot
    • It wouldn't matter if I was steaming drunk

Started a new job last month, and although I much prefer it and feel like I'm going somwhere, I've got such a headache, requires thought and concentration all day. Unlike where I used to work, and I didn't do much, relaxed, autopilot. I was just kinda curious about how many people feel challenged vs. finding it easy going in day to day life, so...vote.

I'll let you know when I get one  :thumbsup:

As far as my last job went I would tick all of the above  :yes:

SNAP. :thumbsup:

I just returned to my old job as a diesel fitter. Most of it is fairly straight forward everyday stuff that you can do one hand tied behind your back. But.. I`ve got so physically unfit over the last couple of years that i`m starting to wonder how long i can keep the pace up. :unsure:

And every now and then someting`ll crop up and i`m stumped cos it`s all very sophisticated getting. And i have to ask a 20 year old. :ph34r:

I`m just too old. :lol::lol:

I'll let you know when I get one  :thumbsup:

As far as my last job went I would tick all of the above  :yes:

SNAP. :thumbsup:

I just returned to my old job as a diesel fitter. Most of it is fairly straight forward everyday stuff that you can do one hand tied behind your back. But.. I`ve got so physically unfit over the last couple of years that i`m starting to wonder how long i can keep the pace up. :unsure:

And every now and then someting`ll crop up and i`m stumped cos it`s all very sophisticated getting. And i have to ask a 20 year old. :ph34r:

I`m just too old. :lol::lol:

No job here either......ex-student you see (well my excuse!)

Is TOC full of unemployed scum......lol :thumbsup: !

My job requires alot of thought, and then putting that into process (IT network Admin and desktop support).

Although I don't find the job difficult, it's the talking to end users that can get frustrating.

There are times when I have to lay cables, move PC's round offices, etc, that can get physically tiring, but at present it's so quiet I spend slot of time surfing the net!

:D

It depends what I'm doing at work, like today I had a chilled day, office was dead, but if the IT systems go down when everyones there - ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE! :lol:

So its very varied, definitely not a physical strain, as I dont do anything physical and even if I do I get told off because I'm a week and feeble woman and I'm not supposed to lift printers and PC's (I'm really not because of my wrist, but I do, because I'm stubborn! lol)

Not really a mental strain either, unless something goes wrong!

Autopilot is the best way to describe it I think for me! :thumbsup:

IME SELF EMPLOYED :D payday every day :D finish when i want :D work what days i want :D smoke when i want :D nobody telling me what to do :D

BUT i am up every mornin at 6.45 :ffs: no breakfast or lunch breaks :ffs: digging holes whatever the weather :ffs: carrying concrete gravel boards -8 stone corner posts 12 stone mixing cement ripping out hedges :ffs: pricing up jobs till 6pm weekdays sundays couple of hours :ffs:

and being completely honest I ABSOLUTELY UKKIN LUV IT :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ummm.... Yes!

Again, it can be all of the above - setting up trade shows is knackering, coming up with concepts and sussing how they could be made is mentally tiring and drawing up nuts and bolts is autopilot and sometimes, like the last couple of days it can be mind numbingly boring :rolleyes:

Just the way it is, I guess...

A

I start work at 5am and get home around 6pm. I work most Saturdays. I am responsible for 87 staff and an annual budget of just under 1.7 million.

Auto pilot then . .

Mine is mentally exhausting, especially days like today when we are mega short staffed, the Policyholders are really going on, you need to have a mastermind in working out what happened in the accident when they insist on giving you their full story of the day, having to decipher many different (and strong) accents, help the 2nd girl I am training & oh also when I got home my Cat got stuck on our flat extension roof when it was only me here....

so yeah definately mentally exhausted!! Glad to have two days off :)

My job has it's bad days, like tonight. Work everyday, from 4pm till all the customers leave (normally between 12 and 12:30). Then again, i get 3 months off in winter!

Unpaid of course...

My job can be both physically and mentally harrowing...

Sometimes I feel like I should do sumin else, other times I LOVE IT!!! :thumbsup:

My job I now go into auto pilot, esp when Im covering switchboard. Its just a case of "Good Morning/Afternoon Future" "2 seconds" and then dial a number. It wouldnt be so bad, but the fact of the matter is I know practically every ext number for every one in the company, including across our 3 london offices, so Im not even challenged like my collegues who have to look up the numbers.

It just means I get lots of internet/magazine time :lol:

Think thats the main reason I've applied for a job in the legal dept, should challenge the brain a tad more :D

Erm... Im always mentally shattered! I need to know the names of customers, their make/model of car and the reg number, even for the ones who have had their cars months! Then theres other bits im on autopilot for, when i answer the phone etc!

Get into work at 9ish, tax new cars in my little room, send used cars to the post office to be taxed, sort out salesmans stuff for day, sort out my stuff for the day, start work about 10.30! go home at 6, completely shattered! :(

It depends, sometimes I have loads to do & I get dead stressed trying to get all the work out, other days I find myself doing work slowly so I'm not sitting there with nothing to do. I think that's all going to change though because I've been given a massive job to do along with all of my other jobs.

Not challenging at all! Not in any way <_<

My job is mundane and boring and i dont have to use one ounce of my brain, in fact i feel like im losing my intellegence the more i stay in this job! :unsure:

the most physical work i do is lifting a file unfortunately :(

Would much prefer being on my feet all day to sitting on my backside! <_<

Physically and mentally exhausting.

In the office I am programming, repairing other people programs aswell, and general IT stuff. The bit I hate is when the Managing Director keeps asking me everyday when will the current project be finished.

Out of the office (usually out of the UK), I'm working on super yacht, ferries and hotels fitting automated AV systems, plasma lifts, cabling, navigation, radar, fire alarm interace, PABX, and what ever else I'm asked to do. As soon as the plain lands I am told where to go and what to do.

<_< I am a community support worker and care for the elderly of my lovely Town, I have recently been promoted to Care Co-ordinator which means I am office based and also out and about. I am responsable for 12 other care workers and 30 service users.

It is a demanding job especially when someone cant be bothered to do his/her calls that I have set out for them, I deal with vunrable people some have family and some dont, its down to me to see that they get the care they require and deserve :thumbsup:

LOL see I have to dash and do a call, someone let me down :censor: biab.

Yay I am back all is well and peeps are tucked up in bed with Horlicks :thumbsup:

Had to put steaming drunk...

I'm used to 80+ calls a day in a call centre, at the mo as I am on pilot I'm taking a max of 8, usually 3 or 4, i'm running out of things to fill the time !!

Like others, I have returned to an old job.

I find it both physically and mentally draining as the type of work varies drastically during the day. May start off at 3 or 4 with a 5 hour drive then straight into physical work installing cables, loudspeakers, plasmas, TV's etc (the monkey work) then might move onto programing DSPs, zoning audio & video and programing disco/moving lights to end off with another 5 hour drive and get in at 9 or 10pm.

I am responsible for 4 staff and competing most projects on time and within budgets. I really enjoy my work and don't let the moody superiors get to me anymore (it helps a lot). Over the last two months I have averaged 80 hours a week.

I find it's the pay packet that really motivates me B)

Started my new job just over a week ago as a Intruder, Fire Alarm, CCTV, Emergency lighting senior engineer which at the moment seems very easy physically as all i do i drive all over east anglia and check the service engineers and installers are doing there job correctly and check that all installasions meet the requirements by law.

But mentally it is very difficult as i have been called to sites were the installer has done his first fix on a new building and run all his cables to the locations they are needed and then the other trade fitters have come in and plastered over the cables and or have cut the cables or damaged them and the installers dont know what to do as the owners are having a go at them the install is not going in fast enough so i have to go in and sort it out.

And on friday i went to a job were the shop fitters has thought it funny to put the ceiling in without pulling the cables through and was giving the installer a load of abuse as he drilled a small 15mm hole so he could get his cables and laughing at him as they had wraped them around a beam so he couldnt get them, so i turn up and tell them if they would have to remove the ceiling so the cables could be accessed and was told to :censor: off so i went up the ladder and took a hammer to the ceiling and got to the cables much to the discust of the ceiling fitters and told them they would have to fix it as it was in their contract to make sure all cables were accessable and then helped the installer finish the job.

But i like my new job as i have a hell of a lot of power and good wage and a brand new car, ok its only a Ford Focus estate TD with a 105 BHP but i quite nice to drive.

Well, I moved from IT support to web development, autopilot to mental strain coding in languages I've never used before so, thats why my vote went where it did.

Interesting though, seems a fair few people are both physically and mentally exhausted, you poor sods. :D And no one finds their work mentally easy but physically demanding.

Mentally exhausting.....

Science teacher, 2nd in department, main subject physics. I teach children from 11 to 16 years old in Liverpool. Most are great, though some are definitely not. As well as all the preparation for lessons (no answer questions 1-10 on page 32 nowadays) there is the stress of dealing with the, shall we say, less motivated teenagers. That can be interesting! :eek:

There is also the ordering of apparatus, software and hardware, maintaining the department's database and observing and assisting younger, less experienced teachers. Knackering but rewarding and yes, before any of you mention it, great hours and holidays :thumbsup:

Diabolical. I have a Dry Cleaners. Imagine having to try to turn rags that are fit for the bin into something respectable, dat in , day out!.

Do you think they will tell you what the stains are? No way ! You are supposed to be psychic. :censor:

Had an oul wan with a pink stain on her trousers, |Couldn't shift it. When she got trousers & stain back, she told me that she had a pink carpet. Dog Pi--ed on the carpet. She sat on damp patch-Voila! I got it out then :thumbsup:

I have been known to say to them "Do you sit in front of your Doctor with a silly grin on your face & tell him nothing" Well you don't do it to me either. :ffs:

Another answer when I@m weel mad is "The last man to work miracles on this Earth was 2,000 years ago & look what happened to him. It isn't going to happen to me.

Oddly enough, I have a great number of Customers. I can abuse them & get away with it because I'm good, But , yes, it is stressful. The costlier the Garment, the more likely it is to be crap.If it cost them £200 it was made for £20.

I go to T.K.Maxx. Can't beat them.

Rant over :wacko: