Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hilux Rear Diff

neale torr

i have a 1998 hilux double cab ,after approx. 20 mile the bell housing ?to the rear diff gets very hot. plenty of oil in diff +no strange noises .the prop shaft is in good con. any advice on how hot it should run or whyit gets hot

There will always be some heat build up.

How does it compare to the gearbox and tcase.

When I change the oil in the gearbox or diff I always get the oil hot 1st and when you undo the drain plug the oil can be uncomfortably hot to the skin.

Im guessing it would be somewhere around 80c

How hot? I would put a kitchen thermometer into the filler plug and take a reading and go from there.

There will always be some heat build up.

How does it compare to the gearbox and tcase.

When I change the oil in the gearbox or diff I always get the oil hot 1st and when you undo the drain plug the oil can be uncomfortably hot to the skin.

Im guessing it would be somewhere around 80c

How hot?  I would put a kitchen thermometer into the filler plug and take a reading and go from there.

thanks for the reply .some so called experts ?say the diff should only get warm ,mine after 20-30 mile ,the casing is uncomfortable to the touch do you think i should be concerned? it is a part i suppose not many people check and don,t no how hot they run.?

thanks for the reply .some so called experts ?say the diff should only get warm ,mine after 20-30 mile ,the casing is uncomfortable to the touch do you think i should be concerned? it is a part i suppose not many people check and don,t no how hot they run.?

I dont have an exact temp but anything over 100c would be detrimental to the oil in my opininon and thus to the diff.

Try an oil change. If its a LSD use the appropriate oil.

Have you checked the oil level? Low oil would really heat up. :eek:

The only other thing I can think of is the bearing preload is wrong. :thumbsup:

I dont have an exact temp but anything over 100c would be detrimental to the oil in my opininon and thus to the diff.

Try an oil change. If its a LSD use the appropriate oil.

Have you checked the oil level? Low oil would really heat up. :eek:

The only other thing I can think of is the bearing preload is wrong. :thumbsup:

thanks again for your advice