Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Misfiring-like Noise At 800-1000 Rpm

CTS03

When my Corolla TS approached ~25,000 km I realized that a “misfiring”-like noise of the engine started happening when the car is moving, with 1st or 2nd gear engaged and I press the gas pedal while the engine operates between 800-1000rpm.

This practically occurs in two situations:

(1) the car starts with 1st gear form a stop and occurs until the engine exceeds 1,000-1050 rpm, and

(2) I am moving with 2nd gear, I release the gas pedal, the engine drops to 800-1000rpm and then I push the gas pedal to accelerate (even slightly).

The engine noise scales from slightly arrhythmic bass engine noise near 1000rpm to very arrhythmic tremble noise near 800rpm.

It can be heard clearly if you have not closed the windows. And it depends on the load to the engine, e.g. it lasts more time and it is intense going uphill. I feel that the engine lacks of torque at these moments, so it should be misfiring.

Please let me know if you have experience this problem or if you know what is the problem and the possible solution.

How fast are you going and at what revs do you change gear. 800-1000 is around idle speed.

It is heard always when starting with 1st gear in a normal way; not having pressed the gas pedal excessively (e.g. 3000-4000 rpm) before releasing the clutch; in other words, starting as needed for not risking a burned clutch smell.

It is also heard going with 2nd on flat area, probably ~15km/h, and then pressing the gas pedal. This happens e.g. frequently within city at crossings if you do not want to stop the car completely to check traffic.

Rpm is low but these noises did not occur in the first 20,000km of the car. I recognize this sound as usual for old cars at crossings! And it realy matters when you start uphill: there is a delay in car's reaction or you get no traction (excessive wheels' spinning) or even clutch burning".

• 2 weeks later...

It will be a great help if other CTS or Corolla owners could do the following test and report here:

On a flat road drive with 1st gear at 950rpm, a/c off, windows open. Do you hear a misifiring engine noise?

nope, my cts dont do that. i can pull off at low revs 1500rpm easily. must admit though, i only use first gear for pulling away from a standstill, i change to second straight after or dip the clutch and roll in traffic. i never drive around in first gear in any car, its too jerky. try using second gear instead when moving in slow traffic. it sounds to me like you keep nearly stalling the engine, dip you clutch earlier. :thumbsup:

nope, my cts dont do that. i can pull off at low revs 1500rpm easily. must admit though, i only use first gear for pulling away from a standstill, i change to second straight after or dip the clutch and roll in traffic. i never drive around in first gear in any car,  its too jerky. try using second gear instead when moving in slow traffic. it sounds to me like you keep nearly stalling the engine, dip you clutch earlier. :thumbsup:

You have misunderstood me. I drive exactly like you, I just decribed a possible comparative test.

The actual problem is that starting with 1st I always hear a misfiring noise for 1-2 sec. The same happens with 2nd gear if engine drops below ~1000rpm (~15 km/h), e.g. to check at crossings.

However, I should add that the situation improved today morning and I speculate two causes: either the new engine oil filled yesterday or the temperature drop to 18 deg C.

nope, my cts dont do that. i can pull off at low revs 1500rpm easily. must admit though, i only use first gear for pulling away from a standstill, i change to second straight after or dip the clutch and roll in traffic. i never drive around in first gear in any car,  its too jerky. try using second gear instead when moving in slow traffic. it sounds to me like you keep nearly stalling the engine, dip you clutch earlier. :thumbsup:

You have misunderstood me. I drive exactly like you, I just decribed a possible comparative test.

The actual problem is that starting with 1st I always hear a misfiring noise for 1-2 sec. The same happens with 2nd gear if engine drops below ~1000rpm (~15 km/h), e.g. to check at crossings.

However, I should add that the situation improved today morning and I speculate two causes: either the new engine oil filled yesterday or the temperature drop to 18 deg C.

In uk we have a thing called driving test an you learn to drive! There is some nice automatics about!! :yes:

In uk we have a thing called driving test an you learn to drive! There is some nice automatics about!! :yes:

There is another thing you cannot be taught; the ability to "communicate" with a machine. It is a talent, you either got it from birth or not, like IQ.

• 3 months later...

When my Corolla TS approached ~25,000 km I realized that a “misfiring”-like noise of the engine started happening when the car is moving, with 1st or 2nd gear engaged and I press the gas pedal while the engine operates between 800-1000rpm.

(1) the car starts with 1st gear form a stop and occurs until the engine exceeds 1,000-1050 rpm, and

(2) I am moving with 2nd gear, I release the gas pedal, the engine drops to 800-1000rpm and then I push the gas pedal to accelerate (even slightly).

The engine noise scales from slightly arrhythmic bass engine noise near 1000rpm to very arrhythmic tremble noise near 800rpm.

It can be heard clearly if you have not closed the windows. And it depends on the load to the engine, e.g. it lasts more time and it is intense going uphill. I feel that the engine lacks of torque at these moments, so it should be misfiring.

Please let me know if you have experience this problem or if you know what is the problem and the possible solution.

This noise was coming from the alternator's belt tensioner, which seems to be a usual problem for the 2ZZGE engine.

This noise was coming from the alternator's belt tensioner, which seems to be a usual problem for the 2ZZGE engine.

well, at least you got it sorted. mine does it now too... :( must be a common fault... was it fixed under warranty?

I'm having my third belt tensioner fitted tomorrow under warranty at my 20k service.........the car's only 15 months old!! :(

well, at least you got it sorted. mine does it now too... :( must be a common fault... was it fixed under warranty?

Yes, under warranty.

Yes, under warranty.

I'm on the same boat. Mine being replaced under warranty today. Had the noise since 5,000 miles but finally got round to changing it at 8,900 miles....

my tsport had alternator's belt tensioner replace last year due to awful rattling nosie when pull away and the rattling noise can also be heard when car is in high gears at very low rev's ,this was last year july when car was at 15k now the car is at 18k it seens to be alright but i am sure i am starting to hear small amount of noise again.

i also had the clutch replace last year was suppose to cure the burning clutch smell but it doesn't ! but i wont bother taking back mainly cos after the replacement of the clutch the gearbox griding nosie has drop by loads and i really do hate going in toyota's to have the car repaired and fight for my warrenty,i am just sick and tired of it ,is bad enough i have to take the car in for a repaired then i have to put up with idiots work in the toyota service department desk who try to play god on warrenty issues and knows nothing about the problem's with these cars they are selling and wont listen to anybody even you point them at the right direction to go check with toyota GB because they like's to think they know it all and dont need to check with anyone,i have here a example this dealer i been into told me they will never replace the clutch under warrenty anything wrong with the clutch is damage by you they made up there mind and the most awful thing are toyota GB approve what they are doing and tell you the dealer has the final decision right or wrong and if you disagree toyota GB will tell you to go and seek legal action agains the dealer and not to contact them anymore, i dont know about anyone else but i feel the sooner i sell the car and have nothing to do with toyota the sooner my nightmares will end.

my tsport had alternator's belt tensioner replace last year due to awful rattling nosie when pull away and the rattling noise can also be heard when car is in high gears at very low rev's ,this was last year july when car was at 15k now the car is at 18k it seens to be alright but i am sure i am starting to hear small amount of noise again.

i also had the clutch replace last year was suppose to cure the burning clutch smell but it doesn't ! but i wont bother taking back mainly cos after the replacement of the clutch the gearbox griding nosie has drop by loads and i really do hate going in toyota's to have the car repaired and fight for my warrenty,i am just sick and tired of it ,is bad enough i have to take the car in for a repaired then i have to put up with idiots work in the toyota service department desk who try to play god on warrenty issues and knows nothing about the problem's with these cars they are selling and wont listen to anybody even you point them at the right direction to go check with toyota GB because they like's to think they know it all and dont need to check with anyone,i have here a example this dealer i been into told me they will never replace the clutch under warrenty anything wrong with the clutch is damage by you they made up there mind and the most awful thing are toyota GB approve what they are doing and tell you the dealer has the final decision right or wrong and if you disagree toyota GB will tell you to go and seek legal action agains the dealer and not to contact them anymore, i dont know about anyone else but i feel the sooner i sell the car and have nothing to do with toyota the sooner my nightmares will end.

i gotta reply to this..

i dont like putting my car or toyota down, well i wish i did not feel the need to, but its only fair to tell joe public the truth.. :yes:

ive had all the faults, clutch, gearbox, ecu, scoring discs, loose stereo fitting, alarm sensors and alarm ecu failure... and yes , with the dealership i bought the car off ive had lots of warranty wrangles or shoddy work done but always managed to get it sorted.. with lots of stress to myself though.. :crybaby:

iv since changed dealership and they seem a little better, at least with there manners.. the old ones made me feel like a moaning git... :angry: and i turned into one :censor: the whole issue of spendind £12k and for probs to start from a month into ownership drove me mental.. then to realise they were common faults... oooh. :censor:

ive heard it all, "yes its worn and noisy, BUT , its still within toyota GB limits... i mean.. what????

anyway, apart from a loose drivers window and my rattle on the belt tensioner iv got at the moment, not too bad for now.. . .. bit why? i keep asking??? why dont they fit some replacement parts that will last??

enough moaning AGAIN , im stuck with it due to depreciation and cant loose that much cash... it looks great and goes like stink so i love it still really... but as for faults it does get me down , so im with everything you say on your post T128... FAIR PLAY. :thumbsup:

Gotta say, I'm with you guys too. Love the car to bits, but if anyone talks about buying a Toyota for the perceived quality/reliability - I can only think that must've been from a bygone age.....much like Mercedes. The service from my Ford dealership and Ford UK was far better with my last car. :eek:

The car is great, the dealers are cr*p, parts are built for the short-term rather than longterm and you have to fight for everything!!

guess what i had rattle from the driver side window too last year,i had good look before i took it in toyota i can clearly see the window seal is well out of is place and not gripping the window which is why the windows rattle's.

so i took it to one of these friendy toyota dealership for repaired they gave me the car back never fixed the problem cos i always check when i collect any car to make sure that it is fixed,when i check the window it was still lose so i told the idiot in the service department is still rattle's and he said it suppose to have movement,then i said to him how come if it is fixed the door seal still not griping the wondow this is his reply "you said you had a lose window and thats what we fixed you didn't say you want us to fixed the window seal" what a stupid thing to say !

without replacing the window seal the problem will be there cos the window are not griping the window seal how hard is it to work out, also when customer take their car in for repaired they dont need to tell you what to replace or how to fixed it,we leave the car to you and you as the toyota service center have to repaired any means necessary and they didn't ,or here is another example : if you had your front wing replace due to a accident they give you the car back without the wing painted and the idiot trun round said to you,"you ask to repaired your wing but you didn't say you wanted the wing painted ", i cant be bother with that idiot he is one of them people who think they know it all,so i took it to another toyota dealership told them about the window problem's then engineer had a look within 2 minute of looking first thing he said was nothing there to fixed it need replacement window seal 4 days later got the window seal replace and the window is gripping the window seal but i did point out the window seal looks different to the passenger side they told me toyota had updating the window seal as is a well know problem on all corolls's,ok fair enough this dealer has done there best and the rattle window is fixed and i am happy but the facts are there are more crap toyota dealership than good ones around and toyota GB does not help or care at all !.

i said before is not the car problem is upsetting us is the fact most dealership are tossers when we take are car in for warrenty repaired's they treat us like fools,i already made up my mind long time ago and NEVER buy a toyota again if any of you had these awful treatments from toyota dealership the only thing you can do is dont buy anymore there cars from there dealership no matter what and stick to it for atleast 10-15 years.

bert this year it will be the third year of owning this car and i do expect depreciation on the car so not too bad for me,i think the tsport is a excellect second hand car and people who now buy the used tsport are getting a bargain unless they buy from toyota dealership they always want top cash for there used car's with there one year false hope warrenty.

if anyone getting a used tsport do not be fool by the toyota's sat nav ,once you have used tom tom 5 i can honstly say throw the toyota sat nav away they waste of space in the corolla .

i agree with you Spuffington i think ford is very good they have improve ther car aswell as there customer service they have come a long way since the 80's,if i had the choose of tsport(comp) or st (turbo) the ford will win no doult about it.

i have many more these horror story between me ,toyota GB and toyota dealership every now and then i will bring these up and remind everyone how crap toyota dealers are these days.

I have absolutely the same experience with all of you!

The car has several problems of bad engineering (bad assembly, defective parts, short life parts) but the worst experience is the attitude of Toyota dealerships, which deny all problems as "normal operation". You need always to fight for a solution.

Fighting means searching in the internet to discover that you have a very common problem covered by warantee, posting on users' forums to identify the common problem (Toyota should read them) and frequently contacting the national importer (Toyota Hellas in my case) to authorize the work.

It is obvious that Greece or UK does not make any difference and this means that we see a Toyota Europe policy. I had a different image for Toyota before I buy this car and I try to figure out why all these happen. Some thoughts:

(1) We are not the usual customers of Toyota cars, who simply want a car that may never stop at the road. We bought CTS because driving-is-fun for us and we realize more problems which are ignored by the average Toyota customer.

(2) Toyota's R&D on CTS was very poor, unlikely for that expected for a performance car.

(3) Local Toyota dealerships are not compensated (fully or in part) by the national Toyota importer and the national Toyota importer is not compensated by Toyota Europe for the warantee work.

I cannot understand why your local Toyota people would ruin your customer relationship if they could get compensation from Toyota for their efforts. I suspect the way of organization of Toyota Europe's network is creating the dealerships' attitude problem.

My conclusion: If driving-is-fun to you then save money and buy a car from a drive-for-fun cars' company like BMW. And you would want to keep your car for long.

If you want buying a car that would never stop on the road, then why spending money on a 1.4lt Corolla when you could buy a much cheaper Hyundai Accent?