Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leaky Yari :(

monkeyjim

Hi all, firstly, thanks for all the help on my previous topic.

Here's a new problem which started earlier in the week. I've been trying to work it out on my own so I didn't have to bother you kind people again, but I have obviously failed.

Here's the back story - I'll give you as much info as I can.

When I first passed my test I found it very difficult to drive with music on. A couple of weeks later, and the radio started going on, then a tape or two... Finally decided to get something to play my ipod through the Yaris radio.

I now drive around playing Elbows new album at full blast!

It was then I noticed that the window had started to rattle slightly, nothing much, just enough to be annoying. I found that winding the window down a few mm stopped this from happening.

I drove to work on Wednesday morning and noticed that the bit just above the drivers door window, where the plastic at the right edge of the windscreen ends and the fabric begins was wet.

I assumed that I had left the window open that little bit, and the rain had got in some how.

It had dried by Friday, left a little stain, but nothing too bad, so I forgot about it.

I washed my car yesterday, one of those self service power wash things at the supermarket.

Got back into my nice clean car, and the wetness had come back again.

Imagine my horror!

SO.... I went and had a good look the the seals on the door, compared them to the passenger side door, and everything seems to look fine.

Had a good look around, even had a look under those black rubber strips on the roof, nothing.

Looked at the strip at the edge of the windscreen, the top edge is slightly loose, but it looks the same on the other side, looks the same as that.

I'm going to buy the Haynes book when I have been paid, just to check to see if anything might help in that.

I have a photo, but until I have to money to join here properly, I have no where to post it. (Roll on pay-day!)

Anyway, does anyone have any idea where this water is coming from. Could it be my slightly rattley window?

As I mentioned before, the seals look all right (to a newly qualified driver, with his first car!)

Are there any tell tale signs that I can look for? I really don't want my Yaris to start smelling or going mouldy or anything.

I'll be lurking here all night if anyone wants to ask any further questions, and if I need to go and look at anything, my car is only outside the house.

Thanks in advance for any help you lovely people might be able to offer.

JIM

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monkeyjim

• Kerby

• Blue84

• JustJJ

Top Posters In This Topic

hi mate. one thing you have to watch with the pressure wachers thingys is that sometimes they can get past the seals cos the water is comin out so fast. i did it once with mine and got in the car and all the dash was splashed with water. that might be wot is causing it. as for the first time it happened u might be right and just left the window open.

woohoo my 2000th post and it was a proper sort of helpful one :P :D

hi mate. one thing you have to watch with the pressure wachers thingys is that sometimes they can get past the seals cos the water is comin out so fast. i did it once with mine and got in the car and all the dash was splashed with water. that might be wot is causing it. as for the first time it happened u might be right and just left the window open.

woohoo my 2000th post and it was a proper sort of helpful one :P :D

Cheers mate, I hope that it's that. I'm just concered that it's happened in the same place twice.

The thing is, this is the fourth time i've washed it at that garage, but it's never happened before.

Thanks for replying.

1st of all.. go to photobucket.com (or similar free picture hosting site) and upload your photo's there.. then use the IMG tags and paste in the url of your picture and it should apear. :thumbsup:

A way to find out where the leek is, is to sit in the car and get someone to use the power hose and watch to see where it is getting in from, the try to trace the source from the inside out.. following the path of any wet patches.

Davy.

it depends if u have caught the same spot at the right angle as to if it goes thru or not. lets just say i was a little suprised when it happened to me

it depends if u have caught the same spot at the right angle as to if it goes thru or not. lets just say i was a little suprised when it happened to me

So do you think I could just have "weak spot" and caught it at the same angle as the

rain? That's what my dad thinks.

It's a weird feeling, I'm dreading it raining agin, but also want to see if it happens again.

Thanks for your thoughts.

take off the plastic on the pillar and see if u can see anythin behind it

As you may have read in my previous topic, or certainly figured out from this one - I know sweet FA about cars and maintenance!

Soz for being a pain - but how would you advise me to take it off (is it just glued?) and of course get it back on again. Obviously I don't wan't to cosmetically damage my baby!!!!!

lol just pull it off. it should pop off. start at the top and work ur way down (no flthy comments off anyone about that :P )

where abouts in cheshire are you from btw?

lol just pull it off. it should pop off. start at the top and work ur way down (no flthy comments off anyone about that :P )

where abouts in cheshire are you from btw?

Nantwich, nr Crewe - you Central or Greater Manchester?

greater manchester 15 min from bolton 20 min from centre of manc

Cool, lived in Bolton for a couple of years, miss the place, and a certain old flame!

Those black strips on the roof, they arent loose are they? They are there for channelling the water off the roof (I think)..the way the damp patch is looks like something around that area on the roof is causing it to me :unsure:

Just my two pence worth ;)

Plus also the Windows on both my P2 Yarii rattle slightly when wound down a little bit, it's nothing major and doesnt happen all the time..infact it's now it's turned colder these past few days that it has begun on the Blue actually..

Those black strips on the roof, they arent loose are they? They are there for channelling the water off the roof (I think)..the way the damp patch is looks like something around that area on the roof is causing it to me  :unsure:

Just two pence worth ;)

Thanks Blue, had a quick look under it earlier, just looked as it should, maybe I should seal with something under the black strips like clear silicone.

Actually I dont even know if they are meant to lift up, I've never tried it on mine..perhaps someone else who is more knowledgeable will know?

Perhaps a little test like mentioned before would help..i.e use the hose to put water on the roof and then see where it seeps through from?

Then again the wet patch does seem to be worse at the edges of the car... :unsure: hmm..

Actually I dont even know if they are meant to lift up, I've never tried it on mine..perhaps someone else who is more knowledgeable will know?

Perhaps a little test like mentioned before would help..i.e use the hose to put water on the roof and then see where it seeps through from?

Yeah, I suppose I could get the watering can out next weekend!

That's the pain with a problem like this, it could be coming from anywhere.

I feel so aprehensive about mucking about wit it too much just in case I balls it up.

Nah you cant harm a Yarii, they are tough little things as a lot of people on here know...I'm not very technical at all (which is why I have Yves, another TOC member on here - he's the technical one out of the two of us!) but I think it's either water getting under the black strip and seeping through but coming out where the door top "curves" or it is the door seal which has come unstuck a bit slightly but isnt really noticeable. On my old T3 I put one of the England Flags on her for the World Cup (or whatever it was) and it did cause the seal to bulge out afterwards because of the clip thing which attached the flag to the car....

Nah you cant harm a Yarii, they are tough little things as a lot of people on here know...I'm not very technical at all (which is why I have Yves, another TOC member on here - he's the technical one out of the two of us!) but I think it's either water getting under the black strip and seeping through but coming out where the door top "curves" or it is the door seal which has come unstuck a bit slightly but isnt really noticeable.  On my old T3 I put one of the England Flags on her for the World Cup (or whatever it was) and it did cause the seal to bulge out afterwards because of the clip thing which attached the flag to the car....

Thanks for that. from your knowledge, could it be the feed from the washer bottle to the rear squirter thing?