Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Hood Question

KevT3

Hi All,

I have just bought a 2nd hand corolla T3 from a toyota dealer, everything is fine and good. But I found that it is quite difficult to close the hood once I opened it. Does anyone has the same experience or is it just my one? In the owner manual, it says that I should slowly low it down and may need to apply gental pressure to close it. But I found that, I need to lift it up about half a foot and push it down... (basically crash it onto the lock) for me to close it properly...

Is it normal? Or is it a fualty one?

Many thx

Kevin

When I said hood, I meant the "bonnet cover" :) It's my first car, dunno exactly which part is called what.

Could anyone answer my question? Many thx in advance. :thumbsup:

Is there anything catching  ;)

Nothing is catching as far as I concern. I think it's just that the lock need a great force to shut it properly...!? :(

Anyone with the T3/T2 has the same experience? Are your hoods easily shut?

Rather than just dropping the bonnet from a height and letting it slam, just let it click into position, the lean down on it to fully lock it. :thumbsup: This is what I have to do with mine, as I have a thing against slamming doors and bonnets closed! :lol:

Rather than just dropping the bonnet from a height and letting it slam, just let it click into position, the lean down on it to fully lock it.  :thumbsup:  This is what I have to do with mine, as I have a thing against slamming doors and bonnets closed!  :lol:

You meant like, sitting on it? I have tried pushing it quite hard... (with concerns of denting the hood... :)) but it's just not going down, may be i am not used to be rough on my car...

Is slamming it close the normal thing to do? Sorry guys, I just bought this first car and I am dummy in everything at the moment. :wacko:

Thx for your help

Rather than just dropping the bonnet from a height and letting it slam, just let it click into position, the lean down on it to fully lock it.  :thumbsup:  This is what I have to do with mine, as I have a thing against slamming doors and bonnets closed!  :lol:

You meant like, sitting on it? I have tried pushing it quite hard... (with concerns of denting the hood... :)) but it's just not going down, may be i am not used to be rough on my car...

Is slamming it close the normal thing to do? Sorry guys, I just bought this first car and I am dummy in everything at the moment. :wacko:

Thx for your help

Anyone else who is experiencing the same problem?

youre very likely to dint the bonnet doing this. just my two cents. Instead try dropping it from 6 inches or so...thats what i do.

youre very likely to dint the bonnet doing this. just my two cents. Instead try dropping it from 6 inches or so...thats what i do.

By the looks of it, it is a common problem with corolla then?

have you tried holding the lock mechanism back and taking your finger out just as the bit that hooks onto the lock rubs past it? have you tried greasing it either?

:thumbsup: that may be the answer you are looking for. Hopefully anyway!

Best of luck.

Joe

have you tried holding the lock mechanism back and taking your finger out just as the bit that hooks onto the lock rubs past it? have you tried greasing it either?

Best of luck.

Joe

Thx mate :thumbsup:

I have applied some grease on it and it is not getting better. I took it to the dealer and the sales said that I should have it looked at in the 600 miles services.

I have also discovered something else, the bonnet is not close "exactly" symmetric. One side is "slightly" higher than the other. You reckon that would be the problem? Are yours exactly the same?

Also, I went to complain about the interior front panel (which has cds and stuffs) is not perfectly fitted. i.e. the left hand side of the panel is 1/2 cm poped out.... He said that it's normal and almost every corolla has the same problem, is that true or has he been bull ****ting...!? :ffs:

Best of luck.

Joe

I have applied some grease on it and it is not getting better. I took it to the dealer and the sales said that I should have it looked at in the 600 miles services.

I have also discovered something else, the bonnet is not close "exactly" symmetric. One side is "slightly" higher than the other. You reckon that would be the problem? Are yours exactly the same?

Also, I went to complain about the interior front panel (which has cds and stuffs) is not perfectly fitted. i.e. the left hand side of the panel is 1/2 cm poped out.... He said that it's normal and almost every corolla has the same problem, is that true or has he been bull ****ting...!? :ffs:

yes, i believe every new corolla has something not quite right with the dash...they should fix this for free. With the bonnet there are two rubber stops at each side located near the front of the engine bay at the far right and far left corners. Try !Removed! these down if you are having trouble closing....i know when mine were too low the bonnet would make a whistling noise when going at over 50 mph. ill look for a picture of an engine bay and point them out if you don't know what im going on about. :thumbsup:

Joe

Best of luck.

Joe

yes, i believe every new corolla has something not quite right with the dash...they should fix this for free. With the bonnet there are two rubber stops at each side located near the front of the engine bay at the far right and far left corners. Try !Removed! these down if you are having trouble closing....i know when mine were too low the bonnet would make a whistling noise when going at over 50 mph. ill look for a picture of an engine bay and point them out if you don't know what im going on about. :thumbsup:

Joe

Thx very much mate! You are the man! :thumbsup:

You push down at the very front of the bonnet not in the middle of the panel where there's no support behind it! There's a little bulge in the bonnet above the Toyota Badge which is strong....

Best of luck.

Joe

I had to get this gap fixed on my Corolla too! They take out the headunit and the surround and have to trim a bit off the inside of the top dash panel to allow it to close tight to the headunit... a common problem, but make sure they do it as my dealer tried to fob me off and say it was done, but I had to go back a second time to get it done properly! That's assumng you mean the gap shown in the attachment?

Best of luck.

Joe

I had to get this gap fixed on my Corolla too! They take out the headunit and the surround and have to trim a bit off the inside of the top dash panel to allow it to close tight to the headunit... a common problem, but make sure they do it as my dealer tried to fob me off and say it was done, but I had to go back a second time to get it done properly! That's assumng you mean the gap shown in the attachment?

As long as you meant the instrument panels (i.e. the vents, cd players and stuffs...). The dealer told me that it's "Normal"... and 1 out of few cars has this problem.... I think it's not right to accept it...

They said that I should get everything fixed in the 600miles/1month inspection (you know the one you get if you buy a 2nd hand car from the toyota dealer.)

Sorry, here's the attachment...

Best of luck.

Joe

As long as you meant the instrument panels (i.e. the vents, cd players and stuffs...). The dealer told me that it's "Normal"... and 1 out of few cars has this problem.... I think it's not right to accept it...

They said that I should get everything fixed in the 600miles/1month inspection (you know the one you get if you buy a 2nd hand car from the toyota dealer.)

I mean the car itself isn't bad at all, i.e. performace and comfy wise... Just that small things like that ain't that right. Especially for people like me who is a new owner, sometimes, we are just curcious about small things... ;)

I mean the car itself isn't bad at all, i.e. performace and comfy wise... Just that small things like that ain't that right. Especially for people like me who is a new owner, sometimes, we are just curcious about small things... ;)

Exactly everyone's thoughts on this forum to be honest.... GREAT car, but for your £££s, these little niggles should be sorted, and thankfully all mine have... except a rattle I get pulling off at low revs, which my local dealer say Toyota are aware of but haven't got a fix!

Anyone else have this problem??? I cannot find any loose parts on the engine (manifold heatshield, cables etc) bar the sound-proofing material on the inside of the bonnet - the clips holding it on are loose and rattly, but I'm not sure if that's enough to be causing this noise <_<

Exactly everyone's thoughts on this forum to be honest.... GREAT car, but for your £££s, these little niggles should be sorted, and thankfully all mine have... except a rattle I get pulling off at low revs, which my local dealer say Toyota are aware of but haven't got a fix!

Anyone else have this problem??? I cannot find any loose parts on the engine (manifold heatshield, cables etc) bar the sound-proofing material on the inside of the bonnet - the clips holding it on are loose and rattly, but I'm not sure if that's enough to be causing this noise <_<

Funny enough, I have got some slight occasional tinkling noises when I drive at a low speed on a quiet road... any ideas? <_<

yes, i believe every new corolla has something not quite right with the dash...they should fix this for free. With the bonnet there are two rubber stops at each side  located near the front of the engine bay at the far right and far left corners. Try !Removed! these down if you are having trouble closing....i know when mine were too low the bonnet would make a whistling noise when going at over 50 mph. ill look for a picture of an engine bay and point them out if you don't know what im going on about.  :thumbsup:

Joe

I found the rubber things that you described! It works like magic! after I screw down the rubbers, i can now close it just by giving it a push...!!! Thx!!!

I recommend anyone who slams their bonnet try this!!! :thumbsup:

By the way, had i damaged the bonnet by slamming it too hard? I mean... the rubber were stopping it, and I forced it to close... Would the hinges near the windscreen get bended?? Or am I just mad, because the bonnet it so strong?

Kev

:huh:

By the way, had i damaged the bonnet by slamming it too hard? I mean... the rubber were stopping it, and I forced it to close... Would the hinges near the windscreen get bended?? Or am I just mad, because the bonnet it so strong?

Kev

:huh:

I don't think any damage would have been done. The rubber bushes would have taken the load - you were just having to press harder to squash them to the point where the bonnet would close properly.

• 3 weeks later...

had same prob' with mine . took off the complete bonnet catch , found it seized up , cleaned , lubricated it and now works fine, seems a common problem