Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1.8 Auto - Quick Enough For Safe Overtakin

pantelis_1973

My wife drives only automatic cars and after a lot of thought we decided that the Avensis 1.8 auto is one of our first picks. Unfortunately, a test drive of this specific model is not available in Greece. So, could you tell me if you are overall satisfied with this model? Is the gearbox agile and responsive? Does the car have enough power for a quick and safe overtaking? (Please note that I am a commuter and I drive over 100 miles per day - My driver profile is the one of the ordinary family driver) Is the car's fuel consumption overall reasonable? Me and my wife fancy Toyota models but we have heard that the automatic gearboxes of Toyota are below average.

Thank you in advance,

Pantelis

...compared to an Aston DB9...its rather flat...

..my advice, don't buy it till ya drive it, or you'll be left disappointed.

I bought my 1.6vvti without a test drive knowing that it may be slow, but I'm surprised how slow it actually is. A 1.8 auto is going to be slow, but you really want to feel just how slow so to give yourself peace of mind..

..don't forget, the new avensis is heavier than the last, 10 times better, but heavier...

Having driven the 2.0 litre auto I must say I was a bit disappointed. The auto box itself was very nice, but for a 150 odd BHP car is was very sluggish, for me anyway. If you need an auto, get the 2.0 and not the 1.8 as presumably it will be even worse.

Thank you for your replies. The only version of Avensis available in Greece with an automatic gearbox is the one with the 1.8 petrol engine! So, do you believe that I should look elsewhere in order to have a good enough car for commuting on a daily basis? Note that a test drive of the 1.8 petrol Avensis is not available!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links