Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Noise From Steering?

razza

Hi guys,

my gen 5's just started making some really strange noises, sounds like a whirring noise coming from the steering wheel? :help:

It makes this noise when stationary and the wheels are turned each way, also makes it when moving.

Thought it might have been the power steering, checked the fluid and the level's fine, could it be the pump?

Sounds like cogs in motion and something's struggling, checked for anything that could be hindering the movement but couldn't see anything.

Hope you guys can help and my car's not falling apart......

Cheers

razza

I take it the whirring noise doesn't actually come from the steering wheel? :huh:

It could well be the pas pump. Can you clarify - does it make the noise all the time when steering, or just when the wheels are on full lock?

If it does turn out to be your pas pump this place might be worth a try: Western Power Steering. I am considering using them myself, my pas pump is leaking a bit.

Just for information - turning the steering whilst stationary, and continued pressure on the steering wheel at full lock both generate unnecessarily large strains on the steering system. :thumbsup:

I get a strange dry scrapping/squeking noise like the sound of plastic against plastic but as I continue to use the car it has started to fade away until it is nearly non existant now and I can only hear it slightly when turning at low speed. I think it is just a lack of lubricant in the steering system somewhere.

I take it the whirring noise doesn't actually come from the steering wheel? :huh:

It could well be the pas pump. Can you clarify - does it make the noise all the time when steering, or just when the wheels are on full lock?

noise comes from behind the steering column, I can hear something mechanical working, although not very well. If I put full lock on the noise gets louder and deeper. it's not a constant noise as once I've been driving it a bit it tends to fade a little.

I have alot of liquid under the car which I believe is from the aircon unit, drops out of an overflow pipe? As I mentioned, the power steering liquid is at the correct level and hasn't dropped. The noise has only been happening for the past week.

It's due a service but would rather get it sorted before hand as I know what garages can be like. A lot cheaper if I can sort myself. ;)

Squeeking, plasticky sound is something I sometimes get with my aftermarket steering wheel. Only when cold as well. The cure = spray a little bit of oil into the area between the steering wheel boss and where all the workings are. That will silence it for a few months.

The pas pump is on the back of the engine, so it sounds like your problem is coming from the rack or servo valve! :(

I'm still not very clear on when this noise is actually happening. Is it constant from when you start the engine, even when not moving the steering wheel?

I seem to recall someone a while ago saying that there is a weakness in one of the steering rack mounting brackets??? Was it you Dak? :unsure: Something worth considering.

I was getting noises on mine when on full lock.....but had it checked out and its fine so if its when its just on full lock it should be ok (hope that makes sense!!) :D

I have the same problem on mine. Its just started to make a noise when i turn the steering wheel either way. Its not present when the steering wheel is straight and i don't move it. Deeper noise on full lock. Had a similar problem on my old car and it turned out to be the PAS pump. How much would one cost?