Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Avensis

SMW

Thinking about a new Avensis 2.0 manual saloon T3x in optional black. Does anyone already have this car or similar - how is it working out ?

Main reason for topic: Full list is (UK Sterling) £16775. Where should the price be before I stop thinking 'I'm being ripped off' and start thinking 'this sounds about right'. I don't have a part exchange but will need to finance either externally or through the dealer if they can match rates with the likes of Tesco.

Also - can anyone recommend a good dealer (price wise) - UK - will travel.

Finally - :censor: confusing model line up on the new Avenisis - is T3x the best choice for a family motorist, I want safety (hence the 2 litre choice which allows brake assist, traction and ABS), not too worried about big extras like sat nav but am attracted to 'comfort' and 'good looks' points.

Can't really stretch to a T4 or spirit (bit pricey) so it's got to be a T2 or T3 in either S or X format. What do you think ? are the 3's worth the premium over a 2 and if so which of the 3's represents best value ?

Check out www.ukcarbroker.co.uk New Avensis T3 X 2.0 4/5DRS £14,900 plus £272 for met paint. I have brought a New Corolla through this guy. Quick and efficient he will introduce you to a Toyota main dealer in Derby or Burton on Trent etc within 24 hours. You order the car at the price shown on the site with the Toyota dealer giving a £200 deposit over the phone to the Toyota dealer, then wait and collect job done and what a saving. Hope this helps

Gaz.

Gaz

Ta - £1603 off list is a nice start !

Had a look - interesting.

Assume you can still use Mr T's finance etc. once you have been introduced via the broker ?

Anyone else help - £15172 to beat !

Anyone care to chuck in their £00.02 regarding my model choice etc.

I brought a t3x tourer from my main dealer. Bought a few days before the end of the month when they were trying to hit their targets. Should have been 16775 with paint got them down to 14775 plus free fitting on a couple of dealer extra's.

Just shows that main dealers aren't neccessarily dearer!

On a foot note. the main dealers are also doing a deal on finance where they will 'give you' £500 towards your car. Using the £500 to offset some of the interest, it actually works out we pay roughly the same interest on the loan as we get in our high interest saving account!

This gives us a bit of spare 'raining day money' in the bank and also the extra legal protection by taking out finance.

Should have been 16775 with paint got them down to 14775 plus free fitting on a couple of dealer extra's

Great - bet this dealer isn't in the South East - not bothered though - care to tell me who the dealer is / location ?

Actually it is! Its Rayleigh Toyota in essex.

However, I don't think the actual dealer really matters that much. Its just a case of waiting until about 3 days before the end of the month (as they need a couple of days register it) and hoping they haven't quite met their targets.

Basically, they were prepared to sell me a car at little profit (not sure that their mark up is?) inorder to get their monthly bonus.

If you've not got a p/x its worth ringing around a few dealerships, I suspect prices will vary accord to whether they need to sell those last few cars or not.

If you don't want the fun of haggling them down, that car broker looked a fairly hassle free way to go.

As for your choice of model. We went for the T3X as we wanted the comforts and weren't to bothered with Sat-Nav as most of the time we travel locally or to places we know.

Must confess we'd have loved the sprite though..mmmm leather seats!

RIGHT!!! Stop....

With 15 grand to play with, you could buy a 2-year old Lexus IS200 SE, and get everything you could possibily want....

Yeah I know and have thought about it - actually tested a W plate IS SE from local Mr T. I loved the car but it was Green with beige interior which didn't really float my boat. It was £14999 and had 27 K - I imagine I could have got it for around £13500 if pushed.

On balance there is something about a NEW car - I know it's never been pranged / bodged / raced / stolen / etc.

I've got 2 young kids and safety is a big seller to us. Avenisis has 9 airbags including class leading knee bag.

But then again a Lex :drool:

Oh I was all made up - now you've cast doubt !

Going for a lie down.

I know someone who can get you a 6 month old IS200 Sport for 17,500.... with guaranteed good history...

If your interested.....

(and you'd be daft not to be)...

They have ABS, EBD, driver & passenger, side AND (post 2001) curtain airbags, and I think 2001+ have VSC too, if not, then it's just traction control (but still an impressive list of saftey features).

The SE & Sport have leather/suede electricly adjusted, heated seats, PAS, Climate control, in dash 6-CD multichanger + tape deck (for those nursey rymes) all round electric windows, 6-speed gearbox, 2.0 very smooth straight-six 24v VVTi engine, rear wheel drive, 17" alloys.. the list goes on

And it's a lot better looking than the avensis, and as reliable ... plus there is the famous Lexus service... need i say more??

If you have any Lexus related questions, please visit the sister site to here, www.lexusownersclub.co.uk

Oh and it's worth mentioning... almost every IS200 owner on LOC says they still havent wiped the silly grin off their face, no matter how long they have had the car....

:D :D :D :D

Stoppit, stoppit! :!Removed!:

Some of us can't even afford one of those, god dammit! What ya tryin to do, depress us all??

Still, a Lexus will definately be my next car, probably an older one though!

:thumbsup:

Aww c'mon, prices now start at less than 10 grand, and anyone who is considering buying a new car, should be in that price bracket....

It's worth mentioning on this thread too, that any car (except in rare cases) will depreciate the most in the first year, you will loose at least a grand driving off the forecort, and then at least another one or two in the first year....

Hence, why I buy nearly new... let someone else pay for the depreciation...

I whole heartily agree about a used IS200. That would be my choice for a saloon.

But spare a thought for us poor souls that need an estate..sorry tourer. The cheapest lexus I found was over 20K!

Oh well save my pennies and maybe next time :thumbsup:

Yeah, unfortunatly the Sportcross is still very new, and still expensive.. but give it a year or two, and the price should be more reasonable...

Here's a few options for you (from Lexus dealers..)

IS200 SE

2000/X Platinum Ice with Exmoor Leather, Auto, Mileage: 48,800 Price: £14,750

2000/W Astral Black with Exmoor Leather, manual, Mileage: 37,000 Price: £14,995

2000/W Platinum Ice with Oakham Leather, auto, Mileage: 30,900 Price: £14,995

2001/Y Granite Sky with Exmoor Leather, manual, Mileage: 51,000 Price: £14,995

(the exmoor is the black interior, the oakham is the beige)

All these cars are available by doing a used car search at Lexus.co.uk approved used cars

Here's a few options for you (from Lexus dealers..)

2000/W Astral Black with Exmoor Leather, manual, Mileage: 37,000 Price: £14,995

I've already had a look at the Lexus approved used - the one I've quoted above caught my eye - think it's in Scotland.

Thanks for the steer / clarification on the interior types.

Big re think in process - watch this space.

Just to play devils advocate, I was in a similar situtation as yourself;

I was looking at a new Avensis tourer or a Saab 9-5 Estate.

The pros I guess are pretty similar.. Someone else takes the big drop, leather interior, Badge, etc

However, with the Saab (& I guess relevant to a Lexus too) you have to take into account the following factors;

a) its an old model now and the replacement is probably in the pipeline (another big price drop)

B) its a luxury model, so parts/servicing/insurance is higher

c) Being an older car you would expect things to start to go wrong or need replacing

d) Less fuel efficent

Sorry if this makes your decision harder..(go on buy the Lexus you know you want too :yes: )

I must admit the one thing that had crossed my mind was the likelyhood of the IS being updated - I guess it must be about 5 years old now (?).

Anyway Saturday tommorow - I've got a test drive lined up on an IS SE :D @ Lexus Hatfield in the morning and then later on I'm looking at the new Avensis in Barnet - this Toy dealer also has 1 IS in stock (a high miler sport so not one I would actually go for) but I can make some 'side by side' comparisons.

Update some time over the weekend.

I'll be interested in your verdict on your Is200 / Avensis test drives. The lastest Autocar, has just done a head to head with a IS200 and Avensis Spirte..The Toyota as a car won by a margin..although it doesn't take in to consideration deal service.

OK here is how it went:

First the IS – impressed with the premises and plenty of IS to look at. Decided a sport styling is not to my taste (or budget !). Found myself in a 99 SE, never used 6 gears before so found that interesting – although I didn’t really find it that useful on the relative short test drive. I was impressed with the car – particularly handling and exterior styling. The interior styling is also nice although the drivers control display area would take some getting to used to – I found it a bit ‘garish’. That said a lovely car. Something I wasn’t expecting – the rear seemed a bit cramped – although my children will be OK I think it might be a bit uncomfortable for adults on long journeys –also the boot although big had a high sill so some loads might be a bit difficult. I noticed the tyres looked expensive – low profile and wide. Had a quick look on LOC and an IS service seems to be about £300 – so not the cheapest in the world. Insurance (I guess) higher than the Avensis and less economical – but then a great car, leather, Lex cred etc. Dealers finance awful at 12.80 % APR. – only minor niggles really – didn’t want to hand the keys back !

On to the Toyota dealer – I’m thinking of a saloon t3x and the nearest they had was a hatchback t2 – still gave it a whirl. Nice driving position with plenty of adjustment, easy to read dials and interior generally well laid out although aesthetically I think the metallic finish of the 3x far superior to the t2 model I had. Plenty of room inside and good visibility. Outside reminded me of a Passatt also nice solid clunk from the door close.The ride was much quieter than the IS and the car seemed to perform better under braking (it was new though compared to the IS nearly 4 years old). In acceleration and cornering (and obviously I didn’t push things too much) the IS seemed better than the Avensis – which came across more of a motorway cruiser to me. Back at the dealer and it took 4 (yes 4) salesmen to open the boot – no one could work it out ! Once open – nice size, forgot to check the spare but assume it’s a full size. Servicing looks cheap although headlights / grill / mirrors etc. all looked expensive parts. Dealers finance moderately better than Lex but still a terrible 11.50 % APR – certainly won’t be taken either dealer up on these rates !

A summary –

Head – Avensis

Heart – IS

But then we knew that would happen didn’t we ! !

Just a note - My T3x tourer has a space saver (no I didn't check either before I brought it). Had a slow puncher last week and had to toddle off to the local tyre garage. They didn't have the exact tyre to match so I had to get a similar Michellin ( i believe the model my ones replaced). A pain as if a full size had been fitted, I could have swapped and waited until they got the right tyre in.

Annoying thing is, that there IS room for a ful size one..guess thats how they make the price competitive.

SO are you going with your heart or head??

I think the Avensis might just have it - can't get away from the excellent NCAP score and the fact that it will be new - so even when the finance finishes it will still be quite a new car - the IS would then be about 7 years old and (by that time) a previous model.

I know, I know all the nice stuff about the IS :P .

This really is a dilemma ! !

By the way anyone got a NCAP result for the IS (can't find anywhere - never tested ?).

So still not final but today I guess it's 60% Avensis - 40% Lex. Bound to change again !

Keep watching !

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: