Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sms Alarm

SMW

What do you think of the idea of a car alarm that sends a text message to your mobile phone if the door contacts are broken.

For example you are walking round a shopping centre with your better half on a Saturday afternoon when you mobile suddenly beeps and you read 'Warning Supra under attack - return to your car' (you get the idea anyway)

Would you part with you hard earnt cash for a device like this ?

Oh and if it already exists let me know !

in theory a good idea but we all the problems with sms..........i work a lot with satalite communications and know all the problems with link delay......you must have all done it......sent an sms to your mate and he replies 6 hours later either cus yours took ages to get to him or his back to you.......so your alarm my have gone on off at 6am in the morning but you finally receive the sms at 1pm in the after noon.........bit late then cus some dirty dirty scumbag is half way to the ferry port with your pride and joy :thumbsup:

So what do you do when you are miles away from your car and you know some little ***** hole has set your alarm off and trying to steal your car

As far as link delay is concerned, there is no longer any reason for link delay on the same network, especially if you use a good one. As long as the sim card your car uses to send the sms, and your phone are on the same network theres no reason why it should be too far from instant. We all know it happens, but nine times out of ten it will get there streight off if you have reasonable signal.

As for being miles away - well some warning is better than nothing, and if the imobiliser is any good there will be only a tiny percentage of theives that will get the car moving. At least the SMS warning will get you moving back to your car streight away, otherwise who knows who will come along after the first theif for another go - if its allready opened then its game for others :( On the other hand the first TWOCer might still be there, in which case you get to smash him/her up a bit :D.

Steve.

That's quite easy to do it yourself, why bother buying one!

Alarmsystem(u already have), old mobile with speed dial and few other components.

Most alarmsystems have relay contacts that makes closing contact when alarm is "doing it" with relay u can operate mobiles speeddial that phones right to u! No delays!? and bonus thing is that if u answer the phone u can actually listen what's happening in ur car! My mate have this kind of system in his car and it's working really nice! Good thing is that it's been in real use just ones. worked really well!

I post more information when my mate finds his "documention"

- Pete -

There is a tracker system on offer that already offers this...

But, I can see a downside... say I'm in california, and my mobile tells me someone in Heathrow is nicking my car!!!! not a lot I can do, apart from call the police...

if someone nicks your car in heathrow they deserve it. its like a prison... haha.

and yeah, the sms thing has been done. www.trakm8.com i think

This is really old technology. I had an add-on board years ago that sent a message to a pager. Thing is these days I'd rather not confront scroats breaking into my car. Either I'll beat them up and go to prison or they'll beat me up and I'll go to hospital. We all talk big when it happens 'if I caught them I'd kick their heads in' but it's only a car and your not replaceable.

Mine ****** me off when it was false alarms. They do happen. Leaving a movie to check the car when there's nothing wrong. I'm happier in ignorant bliss.

But yes, they are available as add-on boxes to any alarm. You could upgrade to one that calls the police and give a GPS location but I doubt they'd care or act on it.

Get the alarm with the remote camera that changes position to the door they are breaking into and films them. Much more use.

Have any of you heard of a new tracking and security device called roadeye? looks like it would fit the bill - and theres no contract! It works with your mobile phone and PC so you can follow a vehicle in real time on the

PC if you get a warning on your phone. have a look at www.roadeye.co.uk