Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Load Whinning Noise On Tsport

lee_ts51

Hi all :thumbsup: ,

Hope everyones yaris is treating them well. Now down to the nitty gritty.

I have just experienced a load whinning noise from my t-sport (51-plate, 21,300miles aprox).

I shall start from the beginning.

This morning, i drop was dropping my sister off to the station. I start the engine, everything seems fine.

As i enter the main road, a slow car is ahead of me so i overtake him on the right lane. I put the pedal down a little to get some kick, must have only topped 2500rpm to overtake.

Then dropped off my sister at the stattion. Fine. As i was heading back home, i hear this loud scrapping metal and whinning noise. Its very hard to describe. It varied in pitch. From the sound of it it seemed to come from the rear, but not too sure as i was driving. It was very loud, everyone on the street can hear it.

I noticed that when i was idle the sound seemed to gently die away and come to a stop. As i pull away, the sound would gradually rise again.

Even stranger, when i went to work this morning, NO SOUND. NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL. :eek:

I thought it was my brakes, but i would have thought it was continuious. The discs are rusty tho.

I might take it to the garage for a check. But i dont want them to rip me off with some nonsense.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lee

Sorry for the long post.

stone in the rear brake deflector.

if not take the wheel off, take the caliper off, take the disk off (if hand brake is off but still rubbing, take it off with the adjuster, under the rubber cap on disk, wind it down to take the brake off). remove the disk, check the drum brake deflector for signs of picking up on the disk (a shiny bit where its been rubbing) and knock it back so it doesnt rub (keep putting the disk on + rotating till theres no noise) put it back togeather (adjust the brake back up with the little wheel untill you cant turn the hub, then wind it back off graduly till it doesnt catch ) then put the rest back on. walla!! did i miss anything clarky?

If you do take it to a garage mate makes sure its NOT Toyota unless your car is still under warranty, they'll only rip you off if it isn't! :thumbsup:

The rear disc shields are made in 2 pices and where they join the water sit and corrodes. The two parts swell with corrosion to such a degree they touch the rear brake disc

Added to this a bit of a corrosion lip on the disc edge and bobs your uncle

Not you girlfriend/wife is it  :o  :lol:  :unsure:  :thumbsup:  :shutit: ?

As theres lots of whinning in my car too!

I thought you didnt have a girlfriend Dave? :P

Our guys are so good on here - always on hand to help people out! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback guys :thumbsup:

Took the car to the garage during lunch break - It wasnt Toyota. It was a garage just near where i work, so it was convenient.

Guy had a quick a look at it, and i mean a quick look. He just approached the car, kneeled and inspected the wheels. He says that it could be a stone or something that got into the wheel and its probably passing through. :blink:

He also said a porsche came in the other day and had a similar problem. It was down to a piece of glass in the wheel.

My brakes are fine, cos he said the pads are not worn out, so thats a good thing.

So i guess earpl was right.

My knowledge of car parts is quite limited, but what exactly is the rear brake deflector and where is it located on the brakes?

Btw, is there a way to treat the rust on the brake discs? Do i just apply some anti rust treatment?

deflector and where is it located on the brakes?

Btw, is there a way to treat the rust on the brake discs? Do i just apply some anti rust treatment?

The deflector or shield is a thin metal plate at the back of each disc. Supposed to keep rubbish and water off the disk, but every so often a stone gets in. If you're lucky it soon drops out again; but if not, and you don't get it out then it can score the disk.

I wouldn't bother getting the rust off the edges. For performance they're made of cast iron which is why they rust a bit; some bikes have stainless discs, but the stopping power of them isn't so good. When you was the car, take it for a quick spin to dry out the brakes - stops the rust building up on the face of the disk and also stops vented disks from rusting from the inside.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links