Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D-4d Purchase Advice

bobbarnes

I'm on the verge on buying a Corolla D-4D from a franchise dealer. The car was registered in June 03 and has 23K on the clock. It has one previous owner who worked for the franchise.

On the test drive yesterday I notice that the clutch seemed very heavy compared to other cars I have driven ( I'm new to Toyota ) and also had a very low biting point - I stalled at one point.

Has anyone experienced this with the Corolla or have any suggestions as to why this might be the case ? It's making me a little uneasy about the purchase.

I take from the lack of replies that a heavy clutch is not normal on the Corolla ?

.. say in comparison to a Focus or Golf.

Hi

Might not be much help but. On a number of other diesels I've driven (Bmw, Volvo, Seat). They seem to have slightly heavier clutches than the petrol versions.

But I've not driven a Toyota diesel :blink: .

Pb

:wacko:

Also depends on what your judging it against. May be try another one from another dealer first.

I'm on the verge on buying a Corolla D-4D from a franchise dealer. The car was registered in June 03 and has 23K on the clock. It has one previous owner who worked for the franchise.

On the test drive yesterday I notice that the clutch seemed very heavy compared to other cars I have driven ( I'm new to Toyota ) and also had a very low biting point - I stalled at one point.

Has anyone experienced this with the Corolla or have any suggestions as to why this might be the case ?  It's making me a little uneasy about the purchase.

Hello,

I own a corolla (45K KM) and can confirm that the clutch is heavy compared to other vehicles. Don't forget that it is a hydraulic (usual for toyota).

When I started to drive it I've stalled many times as well. It's just a matter of gettin used to it ....

Nevertheless, go ahead ... just buy it!

Thanks for the useful replies. I'm just back from test driving 2 more D-4Ds and both of these were fine.

Perhaps the heavy feel was just a first impression and it wasn't that bad ..

Anyway the dealer is checking it out and I'll go back and give it another whirl.

Just back from the second test drive and the clutch seems a lot better.

Still slightly heavier than the others but well within bounds.

It had been checked in the garage but I forgot to ask if they'd found anything.

So, purchase made - role on Friday.

Just back from the second test drive and the clutch seems a lot better.

Still slightly heavier than the others but well within bounds.

It had been checked in the garage but I forgot to ask if they'd found anything.

So, purchase made - role on Friday.

Great, I must say well done!

One tip : read through the manual carefully ... there are some useful advices for you to keep in mind ... bear in mind also the following rules :

1. Service the car every 15K km (sorry I'm not in miles!)

2. Do take some time to allow the engine to heat up (D4D tend to take quite some time to heat up). BUT AS SOON AS YOU START THE ENGINE, JUST DRIVE.

3. When quitting a motorway, DO allow some time the engine running to slow down the TURBO. (ps : did you notice that the turbo doesn't sound at all?)

4. The engine enjoys running over 1800rpm, so logically only change to the 5th gear over 65Km/h.

5. Useless revving over 4400 rpm ....

6. Torque is felt over 2000rpm through 3800 ...

7. Check tyres regularly, if you have Michelin.

8. Top up engine oil every approx 3000km (let you to do the calculation)

9. USE ONLY 5W30 oil (as recommended).

10. Do clean your air filter every now and then.

Enjoy!

Yes the engine seemed quiet at all revs.

Thanks for the advice.

However, one thing I'm dissappointed is that the sound insulation, is not the best on earth. On the highway, over 140km/h the engine revvs are audiable ...

But at the end .... why risking your permit ...

I think I'm about to contradict myself !

On the test drive I got up to 90mph and the engine was audible.

I remember thinking that for long journys the car would probably

benefit from a 6 speed gearbox.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links