Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fish And Aquarium Stuff!

jaxx

right... a time has come that we have got to move our aquariums on, space is a bit of an issue and care for them is dropping back a bit as everyone is getting a bit strapped for time :(

the fish we have are 3 gold/brown angels approx 4inch in height and 4 malawi cichlids, 2 are blue and two are iridescent blue with black stripes, the largest is about 2.5inches long

im happy to let the little fellas go for free to a good home :yes:

as for the tanks...

we have two Juwel tanks, one is a 96 litre 'Rekord' with a single tube in the hood, and twin Fluval 104 filters, the original Jewel system has been removed and the tank lid slightly modded for the Fluval system, the orignal heater still remains, new pipes will be needed for the filters as mine is custom fit into some furniture.

look for rekord 96 - this does not have the stand...

the other is a 180 litre 'Rio', this also has and additional Fluval 304 filter and also has the original Juwel system and heater, twin tube hood and includes the stand/furniture

look for rio 180

im open to offers for these :yes:

When i get my own pad.. im looking to to get setup of some sort.. shame your getting rid too soon for me bud... :rolleyes:

Keeping fish is a great hobby, there is always so much going on in their little world to watch. I used to have three tanks of a similar size two tropical tanks and one marine tank.

The only down side of owning fish is that your always worried about a power cut if you go on holiday so you need someone to check on them and if you don't look after them the tanks can start to smell a bit so they do take a bit of maintenance.

I always want to get back into keeping fish but I think I will keep it simple next time and just keep a few Guppies as they are easy to look after and its cool when they start having babies and you have to put them into a little nursery tank to protect them from the other fish.

Kevin

Keeping fish is a great hobby, there is always so much going on in their little world to watch. I used to have three tanks of a similar size two tropical tanks and one marine tank.

The only down side of owning fish is that your always worried about a power cut if you go on holiday so you need someone to check on them and if you don't look after them the tanks can start to smell a bit so they do take a bit of maintenance.

I always want to get back into keeping fish but I think I will keep it simple next time and just keep a few Guppies as they are easy to look after and its cool when they start having babies and you have to put them into a little nursery tank to protect them from the other fish.

Kevin

i can remember having guppy's when i was a nipper. dont the other fish eat the babies???

or was it a figment of my imagination?

baz

i can remember having guppy's when i was a nipper. dont the other fish eat the babies???

or was it a figment of my imagination?

baz

Yeah if you don't catch them quick they get eaten, the angel fish used to love em. The secret is to spot a female before she is about to drop and then put her in the floating nursery tank.

serious question for a second...

i guess these are for tropical fish? if so - how long can they generally last on their own (say, for holidays?)

Not sure how long they would last as they need feeding daily. They are also warm water fish so if you get a power cut they don't last long. The filter also helps oxgenate the water and keep it clean so if that stops you get problems.

generally your house is warm enough to maintain the temperature, my heaters only come on rarely at the best of times, and as Kevin says you have to mainly ensure the 'surface tension' of the water is kept 'disturbed' more than anything, this forces the good old O2 into the water :yes:

and yes feed them daily, if your lucky get someone to do it, or get a fancy auto feeder thing.

mine actually has superb plant life and a few forced snails in there, the fish can always then easily find any sunken scraps, snail eggs, vegetation or algae :yes:

come on give the little fellas a new home :(

Ooooh a fishy thread :lol:

I worked in the trade a bit and for a short wile ran my own aquarium shop (maidenhead aquatics branch in Henley)

Power cuts are usually fine temperature wise... water takes a a long time to cool down, so there will never be a sudden temprature shock... and Battery air pump can be bought just to keep the water oxygenated.. the biggest problem is the filter bacteria dying!

as for holiday feeding.. you can get automatic feeders if you have "normal fish" but they don;t help much with mine that need freshly defrosted prawns/mussels/smelt! In all honesty you can go without feeding a healthy fish for a while, if need be :lol:

Might sound daft but for "beginners" the bigger the thank the easier it is to keep....

why? -a larger body of water is more stable, bth thermally and chemically, if slight amouts of waste etc built up everything isa lot, lot more diluted! and buying a set up second hand is always a great way to get started as hte gilters are mature and the fish all get on.. In theory :P

My main tank used to be pretty impressive :D 150 gallon 5 foot tank with a big MBU puffer in it, a Motoro stingray and some other predetory fish (shovelnose, knife fish, gar fish arrowana, etc etc) Unfortunately I lost the ray and the puffer, and now I'm not in the trade, fish like that are silly money to replace!!!!

If anyone takes this on and wants any extra advise give me a shout.. it used to be my job explainign it to fishy newbies :lol:

want a couple of well collonised filters and some friendly fish charlie?

Ive got a set up, its a 48x15x15, has 6 botia loaches, couple of cats and some festive cichlids. Had it set up for about 8 years now, still one survivor from then going! Its a very relaxing way to spend some time, fish are cool. We have a Maidenhead Aquatics fairly local, they are the best... top guys and top shop.

want a couple of well collonised filters and some friendly fish charlie?

Cheers mate.. I have no doubt at all that your fish are friends.. the problem I tihnk would lie with my end of things... the only game my Arrowana likes playing is "breakfasts and dinners"

Talking of old fish, I have a large old synodontis (catfish). he was fully grown and probably quite old when I got him..... that was about nine years ago :lol: I actually had to rescue him from the jaws of a red devil, he was very poorly, kept him at work fora year or so then when I got rid of the uber violent (but nice looking) red devils I put the catfish back in the tank!

I relly need to restock my tank... I'm looking fora decent pair of Motoro stingrays, and a MBU puffer again :thumbsup:

Hi Jaxx are these still for sale?

I'm a total noob to aquatics but i've always had an interest and now we've got our own place this might have come along at just the right time :thumbsup:

Any chance you can send me some pics of the bigger unit mate?

Simon