Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Alarm

pips

Typical, the one night i decided to get an early night and the alarm goes off!!

It's happened a few times recently, i suspected in the past that as the keys were in my pocket when it went off, that i had accidentally activated the panic button.

Anyway, tonight the keys were on the bedside table, so that has ruled the panic button out.

The alarm sounded for approx 20 seconds, then silenced itself. when i pressed the unlock button on the key, the lights only flashed twice...... i thought they should flash 3 times if it's been activated?

I seem to recall some previous posts a while ago about faulty alarms?

Phil

There was this one about RAV 4 alarm sensitivity adjustment.

Also discussion on Corolla (I think) alarm recently. I mentioned that I'd had false alarms on my Celica Gen 7 when coins were left in the car. I think others had had the same problem. Seems they can somehow affect the sensor.

Had quite a few where the earth wire from the alarm to the body is loose

at the body end

You can just see it without moving anything just down the side of the scuttle trim on the passenger side bulkhead

I've checked all visible earth connections and all seem to be tight. I've also made sure that there are no metal objects near the centre console etc.

2am this morning the damn thing went off again - for approx 10 seconds, then silenced itself...... When I went to disarm it, the lights only flashed twice, and not three times as you would expect it to do if it had been activated!

Does anyone know where exactly the alarm is mounted, so I can start checking for loose wires etc. and/or ripping the damn thing out!?

Cheers,

Phil.

Just to update..... Alarm went off twice in the space of half an hour, just after I had been out with it.

When I de-activated and re-activated it, I blipped the key 3 times, I believe this will dead-lock the car and also switch off the interior sensors.

So far it hasn't gone off. I wonder if it is the interior sensors causing the problem?

Sounds like it mate!

I know where the older interior sensor adjustment is, but not sure if the new one is in the same place.

• 2 months later...

We live near a mobile phone mast. We've noticed that my wife's phone will light up as if a message is received at 40 to the hour, every hour. One night, she forgot her phone in the car and through the evening we never heard a thing (television on etc). After we went to bed, the phone went off at 40 to the hour at 00:40, 01:40, 02:40, 03:40 etc.

It scared the heck out of us at the time as we live in the middle of nowhere, so when an alarm sounds, it is usually genuine. Anyway, the phone hasn't been left in the car since, and the alarm hasn't sounded since. Just another theory to throw into the mix.

:thumbsup:the interior sensor used,in the Rav4 is a Hyperfrequency detector, which is basically a microwave detector, this type of detector is usually more stable than ultrasonics, because it reacts to physical movement, rather than air movement as detected by ultrasonics, the only trouble is any metal objects placed in front of its detection range can affect its performance,it will also penetrate glass and can detect movement outside the vehicle.

It can also be triggered by mobile phones left by it ,when armed.

on the unit fitted to my XT3 There was a small bung on the face of the detector which allowed access to a sensitivity pot.I had to reduce this on mine because if I washed the car with the alarm on ,as I washed the windows ,I triggered it, after adjustment ,it was ok.

On some vehicles, a glass breakage detector is also used. :thumbsup:

Gonna have to go back to the dealer with the Alarm..... When they said they had "fixed it" last time, sure enough it doesn't randomly go off anymore, but I have just found out that the panic button doesn't work now!!

I only found this out, as a !Removed! cat was sat on the warm bonnet this morning, and I decided to trigger the alarm in order to scare it away!! Oh well, best laid plans etc.

Phil.