Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Making Noise

bsp

My 2001 1.8vvti GS makes a screeching sound at the biting point on my clutch. It mainly occurs in damp weather.

I believe its the clutch as its rather hard as well but not sure.

Any ideas?????????

Also the car has had an extended warantee at toyota so would the clutch be covered?

Many thanks.

Don't know the Avensis engineering that well, but it sounds like it could be the clutch release bearing.

If that's the case then you might be lucky on the warranty.

• 8 months later...

My 2001 1.8vvti GS makes a screeching sound at the biting point on my clutch. It mainly occurs in damp weather.

I believe its the clutch as its rather hard as well but not sure.

Any ideas?????????

Also the car has had an extended warantee at toyota so would the clutch be covered?

Many thanks.

Early Avensis models suffered from a 'graunch' noise upon take-up of drive. This is rectified by a modified clutch cover but it may be worth while replacing the full clutch on a high mileage model.

I have the same problem on a 98 model. Took it in to get the clutch checked out as has 110,000 on the clock. All was fine with the clutch but they did hear the noise. Was told it was the spigot bearing, but to replace it would require a new clutch to gain access. However, was also advised that there was no need until the clutch went as long as I could put up with the intermittent noise when pulling away.

One further piece of advice I was given was if I were to get the clutch replaced then also mention that I wanted the spigot bearing replaced as it wouldn't normally be replaced, just regreased which would only solve the problem for a few thousand miles or so.

HTH

Yak

Yak

Is what they are calling a 'spigot bearing' the same as a release bearing?

Normally when a clutch is replaced all three components are renewed. The friction plate. the clutch cover and the release/thrust bearing.

I have a Carina E (103K) with the same noise. It seems to be a problem as the miles rack up. Until the clutch begins to slip I intend to leave well alone.

Gazza,

As far as I'm aware the spigot and release bearing are two separate entities. The release bearing is part of the clutch and the spigot bearing is involved with the crankshaft/gear box.

My previous psot was what the garage mechanic postulated the problem was and started referring to the foreunner to the avensis having the same problem ......and if they've used the same gearbox/clutch in the Avensis etc.

Hopefully someone with a better unerstanding can clarify.

Cheers,

Yak

I have a 1999 1.6 Avensis and it does the same thing once in a while (once a week)... It does not affect the driving at all.... BTW, the car has now 123000 km (that is like 75 000 miles).

I'm having my clutch and cambelt replaced on Thursday on my 99 1.8gs. I'll ask the guys at nationwide to check the spigot bearing whilst they are there - might as well as it's costing just over £500. having read this log I may even sound like I know what I'm talking about when I ask!!!