Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg Gauge Not Working

i b cornish

Hi all,

Now I have had my Yaris for a few days, I've noticed that the instantaneous and aaverage mpg and speed indications don't work :( .

I'm presuming that however the sytem gets it's amount of fuel used is not being feed into the mpg computer (whereever that is!)

The trip's, odometer, rev and speed counter work, so it must be something to do with the fuel flow/used sensor.

I'm hoping it is as simple as a loose plug.

Cheers for any help :thumbsup:

M

It may sound simple but have you tried pressing the button on the lower right hand side of the lcd display a couple of times? (cant remember what the button is called).

As this will cycle through the various display modes and something should hopefully come up.

Also, does it have the inbuilt satnav? Bcos it may be different if it does.

Other than that .. i've no idea whats wrong sorry.

It may sound simple but have you tried pressing the button on the lower right hand side of the lcd display a couple of times?

Yes I have cycled through it countless times, resaet the trips. No joy.

It is a 1.0l 1999 GLS

Hmm ... sorry mate ... i dont know. Maybe someone else will come along and know the answer, or failing that take it down to your nearest Toyota and ask them to check it out.

As you said it maybe something simple like a loose plug.

:thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

hi m8, #

did you sort out you mpg gauge? if so can u tell me how? i also have a 2000 gls 1.0 and the same thing happens here just reads 0.00

Hi all

I'm new here and was reading through and it seems there are three of us - we've recently bought an 02 D-4D and the bottom right button doesn't change the display. We have average speed and that's it.

I thought it was because we've got a diesel but my bruv's just bought a d-4d corolla and his button works.

Looks like the first service will be more expensive than anticipated

If I remember correctly I don't think the Yaris D4D's come with all the MPG benefits on screen that the petrol Yaris gets?

I can't remember 100% but I'm sure someone will clarify this for me?

If I remember correctly I don't think the Yaris D4D's come with all the MPG benefits on screen that the petrol Yaris gets?

Thanks - that's one less thing to worry about.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks - that's one less thing to worry about.

I just bought an 02 GLS D4-D two days ago (brilliant little car!!) and my trip thingy will only show average speed and won't toggle onto the instantaneous or average consumption.

So - is it fitted or is it not fitted to the D4-D? Any info very much appreciated. I can live without it of course, just would be nice to know if it is a fault on my car or not. Other than that the little Yaris diesel is a joy. And that is from someone who, up until about a week ago, was a diesel-hater!!

Stu

pretty sure it just aint on diesels! Do a search on this forum and should confirm this as i think it was discussed recently :D And welcome :thumbsup:

• Like 1

That is only on petrol Yaris models ...............................(for some strange reason)

• Like 1

pretty sure it just aint on diesels! Do a search on this forum and should confirm this as i think it was discussed recently :D And welcome :thumbsup:

wow, quick reply, thanks!!

I was being a bit lazy I guess, by not digging a little deeper. Just checked another thread which said the diesels don't have that feature. A real shame given that the mpg feature would be of benefit on the diesel.

I'll just do it the old fashioned way next time I fill up then!!

I'm just enjoying the fact that the first bar disappeared off the fuel gauge today at 115 miles, which bodes very well - I've just changed from a supercharged MX-5 which managed about 27mpg and was getting a bit pricey on a 60 mile daily commute (got to buy bigger house). I've not even driven that carefully either. Certainly it is a very endearing little car and I am very impressed :D

Stu

Yeah the other diesel yaris owners on here really rate them! A few of them are running cheap tuning boxes and are really impressed with the outcome :D I'm sure you will fit in well with the other dieselers :P

• 16 years later...

Old thread - 17 years! 

Mine t sport has just done the same, ie mpg etc all read zero. I thought it might reset after i switched the car off.  Unfortunately not and no amount of pressing the display options is 'waking it up'. Where does the mpg get its signal from? Perhaps a corroded connection in the ecu harness? Open to suggestions. 

Thanks 

On 4/29/2006 at 11:35 PM, d4-dstu said:

wow, quick reply, thanks!!

I was being a bit lazy I guess, by not digging a little deeper. Just checked another thread which said the diesels don't have that feature. A real shame given that the mpg feature would be of benefit on the diesel.

I'll just do it the old fashioned way next time I fill up then!!

I'm just enjoying the fact that the first bar disappeared off the fuel gauge today at 115 miles, which bodes very well - I've just changed from a supercharged MX-5 which managed about 27mpg and was getting a bit pricey on a 60 mile daily commute (got to buy bigger house). I've not even driven that carefully either. Certainly it is a very endearing little car and I am very impressed 😄

Stu

Yep I do it the old fashioned way also, that way you can be very accurate, and sure of the figures re mpg.

quick update, disconnected the Battery, left it for a while, reconnected but still no joy.  Ive got some spare clocks that i'll try.  If its still the same, it will suggest some issue with where the data is being read from, maybe some sensors or maybe a dry joint somewhere.  Either way, electronics are not my forte!  Welcome any other pointers regarding circuits or measurement points..

I'd be interested in what data is read, from where, and indeed where it is processed to calculate an mpg figure, especially the instantaneous one.

• 2 weeks later...

This looks to have been local in the clocks. Swopped them out for another set i had and its all working fine. Just a different font and a smaller screen, but I'll get the right set some time and redo.

Sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner just in case. Also used some silicone spray on the clips to reduce creaking

Some pics

20230226_155006.jpg

20230226_155749.jpg

20230226_162329.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/10/2023 at 11:34 PM, Bernard Foy said:

Yep I do it the old fashioned way also, that way you can be very accurate, and sure of the figures re mpg.

Which is the best and most accurate method, give or take a few dribbles either way when filling up and any inaccuracies when converting litres to gallons (yes, old fashioned). I fill to when the pump nozzle clicks off and never keep adding to the brim. Not recommended as it could affect the carbon filter, if fitted.