Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gt4 V Mr2 Turbo

TOYMOTA

Went for a spin with my mate in his GT4 RC last night. I sh@t myself going round the corners of this single lane country road. Thought we were going to crash for sure. But, it stuck to the road like GLUE!!!!! It felt quicker than my tubby too. Constant power all the way to 7000 revs (mine has all the power up to 6000 then fades off). The only mod he's got on it is an FCD and a !Removed! Bailey dump valve. I guess the GT4 RC must have been a fair bit quicker than the standard GT4!?!?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zebidi

• Fizz

• KiwiMR2

• Jones~32

Top Posters In This Topic

Went for a spin with my mate in his GT4 RC last night. I sh@t myself going round the corners of this single lane country road. Thought we were going to crash for sure. But, it stuck to the road like GLUE!!!!! It felt quicker than my tubby too. Constant power all the way to 7000 revs (mine has all the power up to 6000 then fades off). The only mod he's got on it is an FCD and a !Removed! Bailey dump valve. I guess the GT4 RC must have been a fair bit quicker than the standard GT4!?!?

Having a FCD would suggest that the boost has been increased matey... and they aint as quick in a straight line compared to the equivilent MR2 Turbo :yes:

Having a FCD would suggest that the boost has been increased matey... and they aint as quick in a straight line compared to the equivilent MR2 Turbo :yes:

Plus get a Rev3+ and your boost wont tail off after 6000.......

:drool:

Yeah I went for a blat in an Evo IV the other day, admitidly he floored it in places I wouldn't dream of it & would probably out corner me however Im sure I'd take him in a drag ;)

I REALLY noticed the difference in boost delivery.....his was short and sharp where as mine isn't quite as sharp but longer. Would be a good race :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Plus get a Rev3+ and your boost wont tail off after 6000.......

:drool:

If my turbo goes at some stage, I will wack in a CT26 from a Supra. That should help a bit!! :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Ive owned both aren't I lucky lol, had a 1992 mr2 turbo and a 1994 st205 wrc and to tell you the truth the mr2 is a far better handling car than the celica 4wd as the mr2 is a drivers car you can feel it in the corners and know exactly where its going whereas the celica is a heavy big workhorse and can be unpredictable especially at high speeds in corners as front seems to want to push the nose and when you slack off the back can come round very handy.

Straight line in the celica was very quick but that was due to different engine sw20 engine compared to earlier engine in mr2 but to be honest there wouldnt b much in it.

Ive just recently bought myself a rev 3 mr2 turbo and it again is an absolute dream of a handler but thats due to tein coilovers in it.

ive owned a rev 3 tubby and now own a ST205...

the MR2 is defo quicker in a straight line.. and the GT4 is quicker on bends and slower in a straight line..

End Of..

oh... and the MR2 is more fun to drive! :)

ive owned a rev 3 tubby and now own a ST205...

the MR2 is defo quicker in a straight line.. and the GT4 is quicker on bends and slower in a straight line..

End Of..

oh... and the MR2 is more fun to drive! :)

sounds like to me you are missing your mr2 :(

jerry!!

friend of mine used to have a standard st185 gt4 and i wasn't impressed at all. very heavy and sluggish. he now has a n/a mr2 and it feels way quicker. And straight rwd is so much more fun than 4wd imo

the st205 gt4's are supposed to be a different animal altogether tho but i've never been in one so i wouldn't know

i have yet to lose the rear in my mr2 n/a . 1 day i suppose it will happen . ??

been told to fit a rev 3 rear subframe with arms will help immensely , never driven a rev3 tubby but if they are anything like the st205 it will be AWESOME.

I only have an n/a MR2 and I dont like going round corners.

nope me neither back end went out on me before :( causing me to ruin my alloys completely :crybaby:

since then i go round roundabouts like a granny lol especially in the rain :rolleyes:

i dunno if this fits in with the whole subject but i did read somewhere about ff fr mr and 4wd handling qualities.

i cant remember the ins and outs of it, but the bottom line was that with an experienced driver you could never achieve anything better than with a rear wheel drive car. i.e better than fwd and 4wd.

in my OWN experience however, the best handling car ive ever driven was my yaris :D kick my cuz in his p1 round the twisties. but when i drove his p1 i could easily repeat everything i can do in the yaris but a lot quicker.

so i guess the overall result is the scooby (4wd) i know we're not talking about subarus though. im just bringing in the 4wd comparison.

the fwd and the 4wd cars ive driven both tend to suffer from understeer, which in my opinion is safer than oversteer, but you'd have to be pushing it to get it.

in my mr2 :D in the dry the handling is phenomenal, although i havent pushed it yet as im not accustomed to the differences yet. but im sure once im comfortable in it it will fly and i will be able to appreciate it fully.

Im going to let you edit that filth you have written in your post 'scooby' before i do and replace it with GT4!!!

The RWD no matter which car it is will always loose to a 4WD car in wet conditions. And as we live in the UK... you are best off with one if you want safty.

Also.. as you said it does come down to the driver.

Im going to let you edit that filth you have written in your post 'scooby' before i do and replace it with GT4!!!

The RWD no matter which car it is will always loose to a 4WD car in wet conditions. And as we live in the UK... you are best off with one if you want safty.

Also.. as you said it does come down to the driver.

yes, down to the driver. also the gt4s 4wd system feels different to the subarus, it feels more raw.... i think thats the only way i can explain it. not driven one though, i was in the passenger seat of one being driven.

yes, in the wet 4wd wins hands down, unless its some complete idiot driving lol.

safety is best with 4wd and fwd as it will give you understeer if anything (unless its an evo)

ive driven scoobies and they do feel more raw whereas the gt4 is refind.. :)

ive driven scoobies and they do feel more raw whereas the gt4 is refind.. :)

theres the diff then, i always find it hard to judge a car correctly when im not driving.

What about a yaris against a Mr2 then?!

Now that would be a close one to call if were honest!

Yaris would win around corners down to the immense FWD system i believe...... :P

Yaris would win around corners down to the immense FWD system i believe...... :P

:lol2:

i wouldnt laugh, i can drive my yaris a lot lot lot lot more extreme than my MR2.

the risks arent as high and the car is smaller, you have more choice of lines.

also, in the yaris you can floor it all the time and not worry.

i wouldnt laugh, i can drive my yaris a lot lot lot lot more extreme than my MR2.

So it's not a question of superior handling - it's a question of bottle. More choice of lines? Would that be a correct racing line round a track or an understeer line by any chance?

I own both a Yaris SR and an AW11. I will put my hand on my heart and say the MK1 handles better, every single time - no contest.

As a car amongst it's peers - yes the Yaris handles well. But when you start compairing it to the likes of MR2s/GT4s on a circuit, you're on spurious ground.

So it's not a question of superior handling - it's a question of bottle. More choice of lines? Would that be a correct racing line round a track or an understeer line by any chance?

I own both a Yaris SR and an AW11. I will put my hand on my heart and say the MK1 handles better, every single time - no contest.

As a car amongst it's peers - yes the Yaris handles well. But when you start compairing it to the likes of MR2s on a circuit, you're on spurious ground.

You got to realise the 'speed feeling' in a Yaris is going to be more than in an MR2 - If you were to see the speeds you actually carry into bends in an MR2 compared to a Yaris I think you'd be surprised :)

The fact that your pushing the Yaris pretty hard to make it work and the same can be achieved with ease in an MR2 says it all :thumbsup:

no no no no no, no need to start getting protective over the mr2, i sold the yaris to get one afterall.

im not saying the mr2 doesnt handle as well as the yaris, i havent got used to the mr2 yet.

im sure i will be able to do the same things in the mr2. bar brake fully charging into a roundabout at 80-100 as no abs.

the reason i bought the mr2 was because i wasnt having enough power and wanted something with a turbo.

no matter how hard you work on the corners any dave in a more powerful car will catch up with you as soon as there is an opening (straight road)

the driving of the mr2 is totally different than the yaris. im trying to find a small hatch i can spend money on to replicate the yaris, but im very very very very sure, i will definitly buy another one at some point. :)