Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mobile Phone Virus

Fidgits

I'm sure everyones all heard the 'spoof' viruses for your phones, well, while they were all fakes, you knew it had to happen eventually, and here we are, the first mobile/PC crossover virus is out.

First off this particular virus is nothing to worry about for the moment; it looks like proof-of-concept code put out by a hacking group to show how clever it is.

The danger is that someone else will take this code, and work out how to automate it. And before you know it script kiddies around the world will be churning out copies and fooling themselves that they are expert computer underworld heroes, rather than sad imitators with too much time on their hands.

But as the PC and phone converge it's guaranteed we'll see more of these types of attacks. As with PC-only viruses, be sensible and you won't get caught out. And never, ever accept unidentified code. Safe computing is a must.

Seen something about this a few months back through Sophos.

Someone has already created a virus on a phone, but it only affected those phones with the Symbian operating system.

It was very weak too.

So weak in fact, that you had to actually initiate the file download, by accepting the file and choosing the option "Yes."

As you've said though mate, it won't be long.

With more phones using O/S's so similar to a PC, it won't be long before something malicious is floating round.

Best bet for now is to turn off your bluetooth when you're not using it. It's amazing to see walking down the high street, the amount of phones that pop up on mine, who have bluetooth left on....

Seen something about this a few months back through Sophos.

Someone has already created a virus on a phone, but it only affected those phones with the Symbian operating system.

It was very weak too.

So weak in fact, that you had to actually initiate the file download, by accepting the file and choosing the option "Yes."

As you've said though mate, it won't be long.

With more phones using O/S's so similar to a PC, it won't be long before something malicious is floating round.

Best bet for now is to turn off your bluetooth when you're not using it. It's amazing to see walking down the high street, the amount of phones that pop up on mine, who have bluetooth left on....

Yep I love Blue Jacking when im bored on the bus (I have to use public transport some times :crybaby: )........Stupid Chavs!

ive got a Symbian phone and got a mobile version of kaspersky pro, although its called something else.. :yes:

not got owt yet though... which is a good thing i suppose

only thing is it bogs it down a bit

Rob, thats because theres nothing active, or damaging out yet - as i mentioned this is a proof-of-concept code, but give it a couple of months and there will be at least a handful kicking around..

Yeah, as long as your phone doesnt have a symbian operating system (which is the OS used on all the Nokia, Ericsson, Motorola etc smartphones) it cant effect it...

Yeah, as long as your phone doesnt have a symbian operating system (which is the OS used on all the Nokia, Ericsson, Motorola etc smartphones) it cant effect it...

well I know mine does have it, so thats ok then - just wanted to check! :thumbsup:

Here's a follow up.....

A Mailshot sent out by Trend Micro, makers of PcCillin anti-virus software......

Mobile Malware - SYMBOS_CARDTRP.A (Low Risk)

SMYBOS_CARDTRP.A is destructive Symbian malware that affects mobile devices running on Symbian operating system with the Series 60 Platform user interface. The malware is currently spreading in-the-wild and infecting the following phone models:

* Nokia 3600

* Nokia 3620

* Nokia 3650

* Nokia 3660

* Nokia 6600

* Nokia 6620

* Nokia 7610

* Nokia 7650

* Nokia N-Gage

* Panasonic X700

* Sendo X

* Siemens SX1

This malware originates in Symbian Series 60 devices, but has the potential to spread to PCs running the Microsoft Windows Operating System. There are two methods by which the mobile device can be infected:

* Receiving the malware manually via bluetooth or MMS

* Downloading and installing it from the Web

Here’s how it works:

* Like many of its predecessors, SYMBOS_CARDTRP.A propagates via bluetooth (within a 10 meter range). The infection then resides in the memory card of the mobile device.

* This malware also overwrites normal applications installed on the affected mobile device with malformed copies, thus preventing those applications from working properly.

* This malware contains the additional capability to infect Windows-based PCs from the phone. If the user inserts the infected memory card into their PCs card slot, the

infection has the potential to infect the PC, then attempts to spread to other PCs from

there.

* SYMBOS_CARDTRP.A drops the following 4 files into the E:\ directory (commonly utilized

by the memory card):

o fsb.exe, detected by Trend Micro as BKDR_BERBEW.Q, attempts to compromise

machines and steal password information

o buburuz.ICO, which masquerades as the icon file for the memory card

o autorun.inf, which attempts to automatically execute fsb.exe

o SYSTEM.exe, detected by Trend Micro as WORM_WUKILL.B

* When the memory card is inserted into a Windows computer, the file autorun.inf will attempt to execute fsb.exe. Also, though the file SYSTEM.exe does not contain an automatic startup routine, it has the appearance of a legitimate folder icon to lure

users into executing it.

* If successfully executed, the malware then launches WORM_WUKILL.B, which attempts to spread the infection to other PCs.

If you would like to download a free, trial module to protect against this threat, visit www.trendmicro.com/mobilesecurity.