Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some Advice Please

Baby J Cuda

Hi All

I was wondering if you could advise me on buying a yaris for my son.

I have found 2 in my price range.

First is a 1999 GLS with 54K on the clock and second is a 1999 S with 12K on the clock (it is genuine, car must have spent its life in the garage)

The S model is only £500 more than the GLS

Do I chose lower miles over higher spec??

Sarah

it depends on whats important - the lower miles obviously is good, but it is a base spec car, so they are always much cheaper than a reasonble spec model..

54k is not a lot of miles for a Toyota, a well maintined one will easily see another 100-150k without problems..

I'd say go for the GLS, it is higher spec and the mileage wont really mean much, just check its got a full service history and it should be an excellent little buy for your son! :thumbsup:

54k for a 6 year old car is still below average mileage! :thumbsup:

i'd go for the S. especially if its a first car, cause it'll proberly get wrecked anyway. dont see many modded coup's about, you done anythin to make it quick???

I agree with Earpl, go for the "S".

Its the perfect first car - costs buttons to run and there's very little to break.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Alan

dont see many modded coup's about, you done anythin to make it quick???

She is all looks I'm afraid but I have fitted an induction kit and straight through exhaust.

Go for the S i'm a learner and have an S and find that not having Powersteering actually helps you to learn how to drive properly not spinning the wheel one handed, if you get whaat i'm getting at

the S is just as fast as the GLS (should be quicker without all the excess weight of creature comforts)

Have a word with your son, see what's most important to him. Also, will he be spending much money on modding it etc? If he can live without the extras or is going to spend a fair bit putting his own stuff in then it would probably be best to get the S, if he's planning on just keeping it as it is & isn't bothered by a the higher mileage the GLS would probably be the best bet.

I was planning on getting an S with low mileage & putting a few things in myself but saw the GS with low mileage & the last owner had already done pretty much everything I was going to do anyway.

Decisions, decisions!!

As for moding the car he has no interest in anything modified (cant be my son!)

my thinking is, the car that has only done 12k will last a lot longer before needing replacment bits eg. clutch, brakes, exhaust, shocks and springs.

I dont know when the cam belt needs replacing on the yaris but even though its only done 12k I suppose it still needs doing

Personally i'd buy the GLS because it'll be safer with abs and alot easier to drive with power steering. Oh and dont forget electric windows which i think it has too!

All in all, i think your son will like the GLS spec better (colour coded bumpers aswell !!), but you need to check out the condition of the cars first before deciding.

:thumbsup:

My s has colourcoded bumpers, its not all you're bigger models :(

It also has ABS (i think, well i was told by the toyota dealer it had abs...)

Ah! no cam belt :) Thats brill!

Right the choice has been made for me as the GLS is now sold so I have been and put a deposit on the S. It has Full service history and is a lovely clean car.

Thanks guys for your input, I will no doubt be asking for help and advice again soon (especially on how to put in a new sterio, never managed it on my other yaris :wacko: )

Sarah

Ah! no cam belt  :)  Thats brill!

Right the choice has been made for me as the GLS is now sold so I have been and put a deposit on the S. It has Full service history and is a lovely clean car.

Thanks guys for your input, I will no doubt be asking for help and advice again soon (especially on how to put in a new sterio, never managed it on my other yaris :wacko: )

Sarah

That might be for the best, at least now you wont have the "what if" thoughts.

This will probably be useful with regards to putting it a stereo.

The radio fitting looks a bit scary :eek:

Maybe I should take it to Halfords, they do fitting now.

Maybe not! They managed to wire the head unit into the indicators of my other sons Mini a few weeks back! Was quite funny seeing the headunit flash along with the indicators, until it started to melt the wireing :wacko:

Taking off the dash is far less scary than it looks from the pics - honest! You'll/your son'll be better doing it yourself than letting some monkeys who don't really care scrabble around behind there. They'll probably say it can't be done anyhow...

Euro Bob, there's nothing wrong with the French built ones - do a search and you'll find we've been through that topic more times than I care to think about <_<

A

50 K is bearly run in , i would nt let the milage sway you on this one unless your considering its resale price aswell.

Dont i know you from japkits.com ?

Taking off the dash is far less scary than it looks from the pics - honest! You'll/your son'll be better doing it yourself than letting some monkeys who don't really care scrabble around behind there. They'll probably say it can't be done anyhow...

Euro Bob, there's nothing wrong with the French built ones - do a search and you'll find we've been through that topic more times than I care to think about <_<

A

Just from experience,more things go wrong with french built models.Ive worked with them from the early days of them released and none were made in france back then and they were sound.

We get cars come in ready to be pdi'd and theres already bits wrong and trims hanging off

Dont get it with a jap built ones.

Hey,im not here to start,the yaris one car of the year ! but im just saying,from what ive found is more problems occur with fench ones..

Hello!

Yeah, the "s" is a good place to start,

maybe you will find that an interest in his modding will develop as he gets more into his new car, those 13" wheels just have to go!

good luck with it and really you will have a good time with a 12k 1999 model,

if you can, try to get some pix up if you can.........

see ya :thumbsup: