Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windows....

Gnome

Now, I cleaned my car but two weeks ago, and already the inside windows are dusty (damn parking at Donny!), and the windscreen (on the outside), also gets very smearey.

It's been like this for a while now. Can wash the car once every couple of weeks, but after a day or so, the windscreen gets something on it, and then after using the washer and wipers, there are streak marks all over the windscreen.

Now to me, I'd say new wipers, but these are Bosch Wiper Blades, and have only been on there for a few months tops. Surely they can't be dead already?!?

So firstly, Is there anything you'd recommend for cleaning windows inside and out?

Second thing I noticed the other day, after getting home, and the light was shining on the car, It was covered in what looked like drops of water.

Closer inspection, revealed some sort of plasticky blob, and they're all over the car! They can be washed off, but they seem to have appeared again after a day or so.

Me Mam says, that the Kraft foods factory in town about 3 miles away, is known to produce this stuff from it's chimneys, and my old man's cars sometimes suffered from it, and when the folks used to live in Banbury many moons ago, it used to cover the window sills.

Apparently, the company were ordered to put filters on the chimneys, to stop this stuff coming out again, which they apparently did.

I'm not so sure whether it is them or not, but it's very annoying now! :censor:

Not sure what to do to stop this though. :crybaby:

yeah its bang on, gets the house windows spotless! and the car windows are made of the same stuff... so put 2 and 2 together...

and only about 2.50 from ASDA for a squirty bottle full of it, as opposed to some rip off stuff for about 10quid that dont work

Wikid.

Just need to see if that helps the smearyness now on the windscreen - although i still reckon the sipers aren't helping either, and sort out this problem with krudd on the car!

My Bosch wiper is crummy too, again after only a few months (July?). I'll be out with the windolene tomorrow too I think...

I practically never park under trees either :unsure:

A

yeah those sticky bits will be all the crap from the trees. It's horrible and can damage your paintwork. Try to avoid parking it under it if possible and I guess you should wash it off asap - won't help at all with smeary windscreen problems!

I've tried Autoglym Fast Glass and... it's, er, okay but for a smearfree shine... Mr. Muscle Window and Glass. So much cheaper and it's better. Use a good lint-free cloth or, as I do, decent quality kitchen roll. Sorted! :thumbsup:

Tree sap is a pain but comes off easily enough with hot water. Oh and don't forget to clean the wipers themselves as so many people often do then watch their screen smear the first time they use them! :yes:

If your going to use Windowlene, buy the one in the pink bottle rather than the squirty bottle.

It is easier to clean and doesn't smear unlike the squirty bottle. It's also easier to see which bits you've missed..... in my experience anyway....

gnomey get yourself some metholated spirit and wipe your windows

inside and out,then use your window polish.

also wipe the blades with meth's should stop the smears :thumbsup:

maybe its aviation fluid quite common when you've been to donnington :rolleyes:

Cheers again guys.

Did try the Mr Muscle stuff on the insides the day before I took it to Donny, but they're all dusty already. :(

Al - Don't worry. Always clean the Wiper Blades. ;)

Will try the meths next.

Cheers again peeps! :D

I've found tree sap a real problem --Maple is one of the worst! It seems to be very hard stuff but comes off well with water -- so don't try picking at your paintwork!

I had trouble woth ageing fly smears and tried a Turtlewax cleaner which worked/disolved them well. On the inside a very mild detergent solutions works OK (can't beat soap and water). I'd do that anyway before using one of those squirty products -- they're nowhere near as smear-free as they claim if there's any real muck to get rid of imo, but they finish the job well enough.

• 1 month later...

Digging up an old thread, I know, but it saves putting a new one up.

Tried the methelated spirits now the last few times I've washed and cleaned the car. However, the windows are still going smeary on the outside when I use my wipers, even if I give the windows a good soaking with the washer fluid through the jets.

Getting almost dangerous now. Could the tree sap have killed off my Wiper Blades?

They also seem to be juddering a bit now. It's only been a few months since I put them on, but have done about 5K miles in that time.

Time for new blades?

Thanks.

I find that really annoying too, and I don't park under trees here or at the car park I use for work. I hate the streaks, both P2's I've owned suffer from it :(

I use wax on the windows .. means you don't need the wipers as the water doesn't "stick" ..

Good idea. Just clean it when bugs splatter on it, and re-apply I presume?

I'll give the windowlene a try, and see if I can save the wipers.

It's no longer just streaks though. Seems to go all smeared, and leaves "patches" of water on the windscreen. Really annoying, and getting a tad dodgy now with the low sun...

Mine have started to do this too and the blades aren't that old. I think it's just a build up of crappola from all the motorway driving I do. One has started to judder a bit as well. Maybe I misaligned it when I washed the car. I'll have to check.

Good idea. Just clean it when bugs splatter on it, and re-apply I presume?

If you wax it, they just slide off easy .. it's awesome driving at a silly speed in a monsoon and not needing to use wipers.

The MR2 had the advantage of that bonnet spoiler, so not much got to hit the window .. seeing the air flow in snow was cool, just pushed all the air over the car ..

rain x after youve cleaned it

i swear down you can do 60mph in the rain with no wipers! the air pressure just doesnt give it a chance to settle and it just flies off! superb