Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Me Please

supersaz

some bstrd stole my master key :angry: for my 2003 celica and now the dealer wants £1500 :cacker: to replace the ECU, keys etc there must be an alternative. cxan anyone suggest anything without giving away any security stuff to twoccers. Saz

It's a big price but what you have got to remember is someone has got one of your keys

I know it's a hard problem but have you rang your insurance find out if they will cover it

If your fully comp insurance should cover it. In fact they might even cover it under theft if your TPFT. Get on the phone. :thumbsup:

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with that. I had the master key for my old Boxster stolen and neither the house insurance nor car insurance would cover lock replacement. Good luck with that, but you may get the same answer.

I didn't push it with them, as fortunately the police recovered the key in under a week.

In the mean time I'd found that Porsche could programme the car so that the key wouldn't start the car, and would set off the alarm if used. Though of course they couldn't stop it from being used to open the doors. I wonder whether Toyota can do the same.

I was going to get that done but fortuanately they needed both the other keys to do it. Before I could get to the garage with the spare key the police phoned to say they had recovered the master anyway.

By the way, does your car actually have a master key. Ours all have 2 regular keys and a valet key, not a master key. Lexus dealer told us the grey one was a master but on checking the manual it isn't; it's a valet key like the Toyota ones. It can still be used to steal the car but it's not a master key.

Hi Saz,

I have a similar (although not as worrying problem), when I bought my car, there was no master key (dealer didn't actually tell me this though, or that I even needed one to make new keys) and the previous owner didn't have it either.

The solution they gave me was to have the ECU replaced for about £1000 (ridiculous). You'd have thought that there must be a way for some funky computer hacking type stuff to be able to get the code needed out of the current ECU or replicate the secondary key. I've yet to find a solution, and in the meantime, I'm just praying I don't lose my only key or I'll have a ton and a half of scrap metal sat on the drive.

Good luck anyway, hope you manage to get it sorted and let us know how you get on.

Regards - Sid.

Hi all thanks for the responses.

I have moved the car to a different secure location, my insurance co wont pay out and my mums keys were stolen at the same time, these were for a nissan and it ONLY cost £480 to replace everything so how come Toyota are so expensive :crybaby: I know it may be a stupid question but could you remove all the ecu,locks and replace them with used parts from a similair car which has been written off?

Hi all thanks for the responses.

I have moved the car to a different secure location, my insurance co wont pay out and my mums keys were stolen at the same time, these were for a nissan and it ONLY cost £480 to replace everything so how come Toyota are so expensive  :crybaby: I know it may be a stupid question but could you remove all the ecu,locks and replace them with used parts from  a similair car which has been written off?

Don`t see no reason why not. Provided you`ve got the full set of keys (You don`t want a spare key lurking around god knows where.) and locks. The ECU shouldn`t present a problem so long as obviously it`s the same model. Got to be the cheapest option.