Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Route Planners

Demonic Angel

I have a big journey coming up next weeked and I cant take the Corolla so I dont have the Sat Nav! :crybaby:

So, I need to rely on good old maps and route planners, but being the stereotypical bird, I really dont have a clue and will get lost!

So I need a good route planner, preferably one thats quite descriptive and gives you clear direction on which way to go.... I've used The AA one before and I got lost - I really cant afford to get lost - I'm on a strict time scale - need to get from Rugby to Newport in Wales next Saturday! :thumbsup:

I'm very nervous aswell, all in all there and back and a stop off at my cousins in Wiltshire is gonna be nigh on 300 miles and the longest journey I've ever done is to JAE and back! :ffs: Which was 50 miles each way! :rolleyes:

I will also be driving like a granny cause I'll have a 5 and 4 year old in the back! I'm nervous about it already and I have 7 days to prepare! :unsure:

So I'd like to get my maps sorted asap, just so its one less thing to worry about! :yes:

if times are that tight, and you are worried about having kids in the car - try and take the Corrala if that has sat nav.

nervous driver, kids in the car, and trying to read a paper map / directions is not a good recipe in my mind I'm afraid.

the Corrola is your boyfriends car if I recall correctly? Is there a really good reason why you cant take it?

if times are that tight, and you are worried about having kids in the car - try and take the Corrala if that has sat nav.

nervous driver, kids in the car, and trying to read a paper map / directions is not a good recipe in my mind I'm afraid.

the Corrola is your boyfriends car if I recall correctly? Is there a really good reason why you cant take it?

Yeah he's using it and I'm no longer on the insurance because it costs too much to have a liability like me on it! :(

Plus he's not insured on my car either so we'd have to put each other on each others policies to swap.

I'll have my mate sitting next to me, she can hopefully read the map for me, so it wont be too bad in that respect - but it just needs to be clear maps and directions, because my mate doesnt drive, hence me doing the driving, so she needs to understand it as well!

Yeah he's using it and I'm no longer on the insurance because it costs too much to have a liability like me on it!  :(

yeuch - thats a good reason for not using it.

A second idea would be for some who is close (geographically) to you on here who has a Tom Tom Go or such can lend it you?

Can any TOC'cers help a damsel in distress?

Dont know about printed maps sorry - I've had satnav for years now, so dont use paper maps sorry

A second idea would be for some who is close (geographically) to you on here who has a Tom Tom Go or such can lend it you?

Can any TOC'cers help a damsel in distress?

Thats a good idea, I hadn't thought of that!

If anyone could help, I'd be uber grateful! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Or if not, then at least find me a half decent route planner! :D

I have Microsoft Autoroute for planning routes, but its really not ideal as the instructions are either too detailed or too vague, but rarely "just right" - that's the problem with most of these programmes.

I'd lend you my Tomtom system, but the logistics of getting it to you before next weekend are - well - a bit difficult.

Sorry I can't be more help Em :(

A

Hi Em, i used the AA one when i was going to JAE and i have never driven at all before in the U.K, it got me from Holyhead to Jae and back with no probs at all. without it i`d be still going round and Manchester. i found it great the distances from one junction to the next and some of the little details where amazing. worked for me, but you need a co-driver to read it out :thumbsup:

When I'm planning a journey & I dont know where I'm going I use the AA and multimap. They both give you step-by-step directions that are easy to use. Sometimes the directions vary slightly so I usually print off directions from each & have a look before I leave & go with the 1 that seems easiest.

Sat Nav is going to be the next addition to my car though so the days of using those will be gone.

Im too looking at sat nav........

A really cheeky way is to buy a tomtom from Halfords and return it after your trip :ph34r: !

But as others have said AA, Multimap, and google are probably the best online (I like googles!) I also like to plan ahead though and jot down the main roads so that I can have a quick glance at them, and remeber to take a propper map with you incase you do get lost!

I have a Mio 168 PDA with built-in GPS which I bought from here. I justify it by using the PDA exery day and working out that if I use it for a year its cost me less than a pound a day for all my routefinding and keeping me organised...

The trouble with GPS is that once you're used to it you just can't give it up. Two things made me buy it:-

1. A driving holiday last year where my mate and I got lost in almost every major city in Belgium, Northern Germany and Northern France. We'd almost make our destination and then row over how to get the last couple of miles. (Being guys the irritation was burnt off after a couple of minutes of "You're a tit" sort of stuff, but nonetheless...)

2. Getting very lost in deepest Birmingham for about an hour whilst trying to work to a deadline. all the time I was less that 1/4 of a mile from the destination but couldn't quite get there.

If you can, a satnav is well worth inversting in...

A

Em dont worry

If its a long jorney, its most likely motorways, itll only be the last leg of your jorney that you will most likely get lost

i personally used to use multimap :)

Time Mile Instruction For Toward

Summary: 126.6 miles (1 hour, 52 minutes)

09:00 0.0 Depart Rugby on A428 [Hillmorton Road] (West) 0.2 mi

09:00 0.2 Merge onto A426 [Dunchurch Road] 0.2 mi

09:00 0.3 Turn RIGHT (North) onto A426, then immediately turn RIGHT (East) onto A4071 [bilton Road] 142 yds

09:01 0.4 Road name changes to A426 [Corporation Street] 0.3 mi

09:01 0.7 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A426 [Newbold Road] 0.6 mi

09:03 1.3 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A426 [Leicester Road] 1.8 mi

09:05 3.0 At roundabout, take the FIRST exit onto A426 0.3 mi

09:05 3.4 At roundabout, take the FIRST exit onto Ramp 0.3 mi M6 / The North West / Nuneaton / Coventry / Birmingham

09:05 3.7 Merge onto M6 19.8 mi

09:22 23.5 At Exit 4, keep LEFT onto Ramp 0.2 mi M42 / A446 / M5 / Lichfield / The Southwest / B'ham (S) / Solihull / N.E.C. and Airport

09:22 23.7 Take Ramp (RIGHT) onto M42 21.8 mi M42 / M5 / The South West / B'ham (S) / Solihull / N.E.C. and Airport

09:41 45.5 At Exit 4A, keep STRAIGHT onto 4A 109 yds M5 / The South West / Worcester

09:41 45.6 Road name changes to Local road(s) 0.6 mi

09:41 46.2 Merge onto M5 22.7 mi

10:00 68.9 At Exit 8, keep LEFT onto Ramp 0.4 mi M50 / South Wales / Ross

10:01 69.3 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto M50 21.6 mi M50 / South Wales / Ross

10:19 90.8 At roundabout, take the FIRST exit onto A449 0.5 mi

10:20 91.3 At roundabout, take the THIRD exit onto A40 17.3 mi

10:34 108.7 Road name changes to A449 13.0 mi

10:45 121.7 At roundabout, take the FIFTH exit onto Ramp 0.4 mi M4 / Cardiff / Caerdydd

10:46 122.1 Merge onto M4 2.7 mi

10:49 124.8 At Exit 25A, take Ramp (LEFT) onto A4042 0.9 mi A4042 / Newport / Casnewydd / Cwmbran

10:50 125.7 Keep LEFT onto Ramp 0.2 mi

10:50 125.9 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto B4591 0.3 mi

10:51 126.3 At roundabout, take the FIRST exit onto B4591 [Clarence Place] 0.2 mi

10:52 126.5 Bear RIGHT (East) onto B4591 [Chepstow Road] 0.1 mi

10:52 126.6 Arrive Newport

SUMMARY

Driving distance: 126.6 miles

Trip duration: 1 hour, 52 minutes

Driving time: 1 hour, 52 minutes

Thanks everyone!

It does seem like a very easy route, I just get very easily lost! :lol:

I'm gonna try the Google one and get my mate to read it out and just print lots of maps off! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I use AA autoroute, pretty good and got me all the way to JAE very easily! :thumbsup:

On they way back we followed Michael (msherry21) though and he got us lost in Manchester! :rolleyes:

Newport is really easy to get to (commuting from Manchester at the mo...), where are you going in Newport ???

Just keep heading south until you hit the M4 and head for Wales, Newport is clearly signposted :D

Newport is really easy to get to (commuting from Manchester at the mo...), where are you going in Newport ???

Just keep heading south until you hit the M4 and head for Wales, Newport is clearly signposted :D

I believe its Barnardtown, her new house is a stones throw from the Rugby Football Club - the house itself is quite easy to get to - its just off the A48 - it always looks easier on a map though! :rolleyes:

If you say its easy to get to, I'll believe you Ryan - makes me feel a little bit better! :thumbsup:

Cheers for the Toyota maps Steve! :thumbsup:

All you need to remember is the Road names youare going for and the fact you want South and West, oh and also Wales.

I was once going to Kidderminster via the M5 and can assure you it is easy to get to Wales :thumbsup:

Newport is really easy to get to

I believe its Barnardtown, her new house is a stones throw from the Rugby Football Club - the house itself is quite easy to get to - its just off the A48 - it always looks easier on a map though!  :rolleyes:

If you say its easy to get to, I'll believe you Ryan - makes me feel a little bit better!  :thumbsup:

Newport isn't off the A48 :D

Have you got the first part of the postcode ? I used to work in Newport and lived around Newport/Cardiff for donkeys.... If you pm the addy or post the postcode I'll walk you in.

If it is off the A48 go over the 7 bridge keep going through the tunnels (obvious) you'll go around a nice left and right hand dropping corner and then A48 is clearly signposted for Cardiff which is the next town along....

It is very simple as Newport has 2 junctions whereas Cardiff has a good few more :D

This has got the makings of "Ems Adventures in Wales" :D ;)

Newport is really easy to get to

I believe its Barnardtown, her new house is a stones throw from the Rugby Football Club - the house itself is quite easy to get to - its just off the A48 - it always looks easier on a map though!  :rolleyes:

If you say its easy to get to, I'll believe you Ryan - makes me feel a little bit better!  :thumbsup:

Newport isn't off the A48 :D

Have you got the first part of the postcode ? I used to work in Newport and lived around Newport/Cardiff for donkeys.... If you pm the addy or post the postcode I'll walk you in.

If it is off the A48 go over the 7 bridge keep going through the tunnels (obvious) you'll go around a nice left and right hand dropping corner and then A48 is clearly signposted for Cardiff which is the next town along....

It is very simple as Newport has 2 junctions whereas Cardiff has a good few more :D

Its NP19 Ryan... I'll PM you the full postcode....

Multimap says the A48 goes through Newport.... see this is where I get confused!

This has got the makings of "Ems Adventures in Wales" :D  ;)

Ha ha haa - everything I do Steve turns into a little adventure! :lol:

I stand corrected....

A 48 does go through Newport :D

Em, you can't get lost as long as you can find your way to the M6 !! M6 head south, turns into the M5 keep going south.... Look out for the big blue sign saying South Wales M4 and keep going (DON'T FORGET SEVERN BRIDGE FARE) Junction 24 you'll need to get left before the left hand sweep (easily signposted as it's right by The Celtic Manor), 2nd turn off the roundabout (drive straight past my old office on the right), keep going straight... You'll know your turn off (Wharf Road), get in the left lane at the filter (believe it's the first filter you'll come accross)...

Oh, make sure you leave your car locked at all times and nothing visible, they will go walk about otherwise :D :D :D

Em, it's a really easy trip as it is all motorways apart from the last little bit...

Ok.... its easy.... I can do it! :huh::thumbsup:

I dont plan to be in Newport for long though - just really drop my mate and her kids off, help them settle a bit and then I'm off to Chippenham and I dont like driving at night, especially when I dont know the area, so I'd really like to get to Chippenham before it gets dark and its gonna be about a hour there I think.

If I pull this off, without getting lost, I'll be well happy! :lol: