Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Aircon Advice

alhendo1

Can anyone help me out here? The aircon in my 2002 1.8vvti avensis isn't as chilled as it used to be. I've been told that it just needs the refrigerant "pumped up." Halfords sell a canister of refrigerant/oil which has a gauge on it telling you when the right level has been reached. This costs £15. The instructions on the back are pretty vague telling you to locate a cap in the large diameter aircon pipe which will either have a blue or black cover, lift it off plug in their gauge then fill up to the level on the gauge. Trouble is i'm not sure where this valve/cap is. I think the aircon pipe runs under the radiator along the front of the car, where there is a cap, kind of black in colour with the letter"L" on it. Has anyone carried out this procedure before at home on this model avensis and could anyone advise me if this is the right bit on the avensis I'm at? I don't want to make a mistake! Has anyone else used this stuff before.Is it any good? Thanks Alan.

sounds like you just need it re gassing,

as for the Halfords stuff dont know anyone thats used it.

i'd get a garage to do it, also you can check your local yellow pages as there are mobile air con vans that will come to you and re gass it for you,

they can also check if you have any leaks.

sounds like you just need it re gassing,

as for the halfords stuff dont know anyone thats used it.

i'd get a garage to do it, also you can check your local yellow pages as there are mobile air con vans that will come to you and re gass it for you,

they can also check if you have any leaks.

thanks, think i'll jusy shop around and pay the money rather than messing around myself.

re-gassing is normally about £90, the "L" you saw was the Low pressure "side" of the A/C, re-gassing'll take about 30-45mins to do, i think the Halfords stuff is like a leak sealer (silimar to RAD-WELD) and a pump lubricant

The Halfords stuff is for re-gassing too. It has the lube in it anyway, like the stuff they fill it up with in the trade.

You will see two connections on your air con all being well, normally covered with a grey cover. An L connection, and a H connection.

If you can work out which one it needs then it will be a fairly simple job. If you read into the instructions a little, it may give a little more away as to what pipe it should be. Like the feed from the compressor, or the pipe from sommat else for example.

I would be careful with A/C! The quantity is measured to ensure the system runs at correct pressure.

The system has a pressure sensor which will shut down the system if it has incorrect amount of gas.

I've seen places that will do a full evac & regas for £49. Well worth it at that price.

I would be careful with A/C!  The quantity is measured to ensure the system runs at correct pressure. 

The system has a pressure sensor which will shut down the system if it has incorrect amount of gas.

I've seen places that will do a full evac & regas for £49.  Well worth it at that price.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a hunt through the classifieds and get it seen to.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links