Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Agh! Why Is My Alarm Going Off In The Rain?

Sword

Had the car (lc colorado, x reg) a little over two weeks - and this is the first time its rained really hard since.

Anyway, the alarm keeps going off - which is, of course, more than a little annoying! Everything find during moderate rain, lol.

Any ideas?

I *think* that pressing the lock key twice disables the alarm but still ...

Sword

your (promixity (i think)) is far too sensative, just take it to a toyota dealership and get it done under warranty?

If not then find a garage, unless you are handy with stuff like this, there will be adjustment knobs or something on the sensor.. in which case youll have to wait until someone who actually knows what they are talking about comes along :P

I *think* that pressing the lock key twice disables the alarm but still ...

If you mean you have 2 buttons & you press 1 to lock then the other which just makes the lights flash & a beeping noise (like mine) then that doublelocks (or whatever the right term is) the car which means that its practically impossible to open the doors, so any1 who robs it will only be able to get in/out of the car through the windows which would seriously affect the resale value on the blackmarket.

guys - I only have two buttons - one to open and one to close.

I sat inside and did a test...

press lock once: alarm armed, doors deadlocked inside and if I move, the alarm goes off...

press lock twice: doors deadlocked but no matter what I do (seated can-can, attempt ressitation of invisible passneger - or even perform my best Pavarotti), the alarm doesn't go off.

Still, need to get that sensor thing sorted then - anyone got any ideas how I might do it meself?

ta,

Sword

so any1 who robs it will only be able to get in/out of the car through the windows which would seriously affect the resale value on the blackmarket.

PMSL :lol:

either proximity is too high and detecting the rain hitting the car through vibration

or the bonnet or boot switches are getting damp and the contacts are effectively 'connecting' and making the system think a door has been openend

i get this on the mr2 when rain gets through the gaps on the engine cover and douses the switch

press lock once:  alarm armed, doors deadlocked inside and if I move, the alarm goes off...

press lock twice:  doors deadlocked but no matter what I do (seated can-can, attempt ressitation of invisible passneger - or even perform my best Pavarotti), the alarm doesn't go off.

I've got this style of alarm on my car.

The second time you press the 'lock' button deactivates the interior sensors ONLY and leaves exterior & doors armed when you need to e.g:

Leaving pet in car with window slightly open.

or leaving child in car while paying for petrol, (if child opens door, alarm goes off)

The sensitivity is the most likely culprit.

But parents GT4 had same problem after jet washing. water was getting to some part of the electronics under the bonnet.

I hope this helps (rather than hinders)

Rich K

Its HAMMERING down with rain here at the moment but Ive never seen my MR2 alarm easily set of.

Oh except at 2 in the morning last week when I forgot to put the handbrake on and my car rolled off down the street into another car! Doh!

well, it hasn't happened again since - but now I'm paranoid and have difficulty sleeping cos I jump up whenever I hear a car alarm thinking its mine and sometimes wake up imagining I've heard on, lol.

How sad am I?

BTW Richard K, mine seems to deadlock on the inside at the first press of the button. The second press appears to turn off the alarm but leaves the car still deadlocked ...

Sword

our avensis was going off randomly, rain or no rain, daylight or night, and yes I had jumped at noises in the night too, thinking our neighbours would be woken up again.. we have found the only way to prevent it going off is to lock the car with the key itself instead of using the buttons on the fob, so the alarm is not set and so won't go off...