Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chevy Monza 2+2

Bizarra

I had one of these for a while, must be 20 years ago now. (Founder member of Potoc, Remember?) :lol:

Had been brought in from America, so was L.H.D. Mine had a2.4 litre 4 ln line engine, but they were about with huge V 6 engines. It was automatic & if you floored her at lights you could leave anything standing. Driven sensibly though ,she was not a gas guzzler.

Styling wise she could still hold her own today. I have photos (somewhere :yes: )

If I can find them I'll try & post them.

Opel, also General Motors ,brought out an Opel Monza, which didn't seem to last long. Yank one cost about $7000 in the States while the Opel was £15000 for basically the same car.

She was very reliable & I would get peeps passing me , hanging out of the window to get a good look. Only trouble I had was when the gearbox went. No trouble, really, as it was the same box as a forklift truck. Didn't cost a bomb to put right.

Point of all this is, does anyone remember them. There were a good few about in England, while mine was the only one here. Has anyone seen one recently . or have they all gone to the great Autobahn in the sky? :crybaby:

cfc1 Bizarra.. found these here Sep 26 2005, 08:42 AM

Click on this post in following answers to view what I think is the similarity to the new MR2

I think I remember my friends father having one many years ago.(When i was a wee little boy).

It was something like an Opel Monza Royale I think - remember it sounded like a tank as the exhaust always seemed to be blowing.

I'm sure it had a different rearend to those pics though.

Beautiful car if it was the Yank version (think there was one in the 1983 Clint eastwood film 'Sudden Impact', never toooo bother with the OPEL/European spec version. American version was better kitted out :yes:

I like many Opels such as the Manta :drool: (especially if it's an A Series early 70's version :drool::drool::drool: ) and the old Rekords and Kapitain.

Beautiful car if it was the Yank version (think there was one in the 1983 Clint eastwood film 'Sudden Impact', never toooo bother with the OPEL/European spec version. American version was better kitted out :yes:

I like many Opels such as the Manta :drool:  (especially if it's an A Series early 70's  version  :drool:  :drool:  :drool: ) and the old Rekords and Kapitain.

I agree, & mine was the Yank version. It had a plaque on the door sill saying "Coachwork by "Someone" in Canada" Can't remember who now. It will come some day when I'm not trying :yes:

pubchevroletmonza19702hs.th.jpgchevroletmonza0xx.th.jpg

These are actually more like mine. Icouldn't find them, so that is why you have clever sons- to help you in your dotage! :wacko:

Ahahaha....they aren't known for being great cars, here.

Incidentally, after I was born in 1985, my parents brought me home in the Oldsmobile version of the Chevy Monza:

starfire.jpg

Their 1979 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenze. Complete with black vinyl seats, an 'Iron Puke' 4-cylinder, and a 4-speed. It also liked to go through head gaskets and clutches at an alarming rate, but we'll ignore that.

After the car spent a year or so sitting in the garage broken for the last time, I remember watching a huge bearded man with no shirt come by wth a tow truck and drag it out of there, never to be seen again. It was 1990 and I was 5.

Today, along the with Ford Pinto, these cars are quite popular for hot-rodding, thanks to their relatively light weight, RWD chassis, and ease of engine swaps. Vintage road-racing and drag-racing are the most popular.

Also, in the late 1970s IMSA GT competitions, the car was a real stormer. DeKon Monzas tangled with the best Porsche and BMW had to offer, and were quite competitive.

DekonMonza1.jpg

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1980...0-07-06-019.jpg

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1978...8-08-27-001.jpg

These were V8 powered brutes. They were never quite as popular with privateers as the Porsche 911, because Porsche would sell you a turn-key racing car. Chevy just sold you a pile of parts and a book to put it together with. I know that for a short while, David Hobbs drove an all-red Budweiser-liveried car.

Puls, a very nice history bit there, good work :thumbsup:

With regards to the first picture, the 'Firenza' GM Vauxhall (GM Great Britain) marketed a 'fast back' version of the Vauxhall Viva in 1973 called the Firenza (some of which were had with a 'Shaver front end' and thus refered to as a Droop Snoot!)

DroopsnootFirenza.jpg

VauxhallFienza.jpg

Amazing how the same name was used accross the pond :D

• 3 years later...
monza22.jpg

monza24.jpg

:drool::drool::drool:

monzin14.jpg

engin04.jpg

Bizarra.. found these here

Having read the post on the new MR2, I went searching for these from 5 years ago.

NOT the same styling, but getting there

monza22.jpg

monza24.jpg

:drool::drool::drool:

monzin14.jpg

engin04.jpg

Bizarra.. found these here

:blushing::oops: I've gone & been & done it wrong again :crybaby: Click on cfc1's reply to see the pics.

Read the post re MR2 & went looking for this topic. The styling isn't the same, but getting there :thumbsup:

:oops: Sorry. I made a bags of that :crybaby:

I read the post on the return of the MR2 & saw (at least I did) a similarity in styling to my old much beloved Chevy.

The post was supposed to show the photos, but didn't.

If you click on cfc1's reply it should bring them up.

:oops: Sorry. I made a bags of that :crybaby:

I read the post on the return of the MR2 & saw (at least I did) a similarity in styling to my old much beloved Chevy.

The post was supposed to show the photos, but didn't.

If you click on cfc1's reply it should bring them up.

Everything posted ok after all :thumbsup: I had done something silly to the presentation of the site on my computer. All sorted now. Many, many thanks to EM. :angel: