Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rubbing...

R6TH M

Right i know there is probably a simple solution to this (ie. raise the coilovers...) but i really dont want to do it. However, my 16s are catching anywhere and everywhere with 4 ppl in the car.

Also the chassis catches over the majority of ramps with 2 ppl in the car.. Went over a little ramp tonight with 4 people in it and left 2 dents in the ramp lol. Makes an awful crunching noise which brings tears to my eyes and passers by just stop and stare when im crawling over ramps!

Its catching somewhere on the front arches over bumps on the road but i cant figure out where - any ideas?

Also back rubs occasionally but im guessing the only solution is to roll the rear arches?

Will the ramps do any damage underneath the car as im getting slightly worried :wacko::crybaby:

Any help appreciated cheers!

mines cought the odd ramp, if u look under car it doesnt hit the centre the outer side walls are slightly slower and it will dent them!

simple answer, dont take four people in ur car, strip out ur rear, car will be lighter and then theres also no arguments about it :lol:

what profile tyres do u have on?

Im running 16s with tein lowering springs - 35mm front and 38mm back and think Ive only had two scraped so far - and thats with the booster front lip on too - fraid the asnwer has to be to heighten the coilovers!

Yep.. what size tyres are you running.. lower profiles might be available, but if you have 195/45x16.. then...

195/40 R16 V Toyo Proxes T1-R (Reinforced) £85

or

195/40 R16 V Dunlop SP9000 £97

MIGHT help.. but it's a lot of money if it doesn't. :(

So you know how much lower these will be, here is the maths...

195/45x16 = 87.75mm in height (thats the height of the sidewall.

195/40x16 = 78.00mm in height.... making a difference of 9.75mm.

The 9.75mm might be enough to stop the yres rubbing on the car, but the problem with doing this is.. you will put the car lower to the ground, so going over speed bumps etc will be worse.

Alternative...

205/40x16 = 82mm in height... so thats 5.75 mm lower, will still put the car lower to the ground.. but not as low as the 195's.

But these are also 10mm wider... so for this to stop the tyres rubbing on the bodywork, the offset of the wheels would ideally have to be between et38 to et42 (IMO et42 would be best suited to 205 tyres)

Kumho Ecsta 712 £65

Yokohama A520 £85

Again a fair bit of money if it doesn't work.

To sum up..

To stop the tyres rubbing on the car.. you lower the profile.

Lowering the profile drops the car closer to the ground

Dropping the car closer to the groung will mean the the car will bottom out on speed bumps even more than it does now.

I think you allready know the solution.. you did say it was the simplest way.

catching under the car will do it no favours and could seriously damage your chassis, the front arches rubbing will be the front bumper mounts try bending them up a little bit or trimming them back about 3mm wit an angle grinder and underseal them after to protect them from rust,

the rear shouldnt catch if youve got 195's and the correct offset,

:thumbsup:

i have 195/45/16 toyos rims are et40.

By front bumper mounts which bits do you mean? :$

I really dont want to but i might wind it up half of what i dropped it when i put the 16s on. As i said only really had major problems with the 4 ppl which i only ever have maybe once a month.

@ Chuck, i thought it was only catching either side on the wee metal bits altho it ocassionally drops down and bumps the centre bit too! Just wanted to check it wasnt gonna catch anything important.

Mine usually catches if there is me and 1 other in the car going over speed bumps. If there is 4 people in the car it grounds out sometimes just generally driving about! :wacko:

The bottom of my car is probably mashed up but I don't really care! :thumbsup:

funilly enough your cars too low!

either

a- dont carry passengers

b- raise the suspension

i could only just carry two people in mine!

he had them rolled..

it still rubbed

and the screws on the arches are probably rubbing and cutting on the tyres (not to mention unscrewing themselves)

all arches rolled and flared, modded internal liners. removed all screws for low profile items

dropped 60mm and no scrubbage B)

They might be

Check them and if they are loose you know they have been catching :)

Get them rivted!!

:lol: seriously, dont!

mine scrapes everywhere, i just deal with it, you can't have everything :P i now have a FULLY.... stripped out rear.

Yeah it wouldnt bother me if i knew for sure it wasnt doing any real damage?? Also hoping whatevers catching onthe ramps will eventually wear away/ break off lol

the thing thats most likely catching will be the two chassis rails down the car

and two small braces that go between them and the outer sills

if you hit them hard enough youll cripple the bottom of the car..

constant scrapping will grind all the sealer off and then itll rust...

so yes in a way!

lol true true

well i investigated the front arches today and there are no marks from rubbing or anything!! Underneath the car isnt even marked that badly.

Could it be rubbing on the inner rear arches?

the inside of the tyre catches the plastic cover at the back, i made some brackets and trimmed them to pull it back

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links