Do Not Sell My Personal Information

93 Toyota Carina E 1.6 Auto "rattle"

sjapplet

Hi

Just bought a '93 1.6 Auto Carina E, which is lovely to drive and not too bad to look at!

Unfortunately I have just noticed that when the engine revs just over 2000 rpm, and up to about 2500 rpm, you can hear a strange noise that sounds rather like a "slinky" (the spring that climbs down stairs).

The performance is excellent, and in all other respects, the engine sounds like new, but I am concerned what the "slinky" noise could be.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

(I'm told by the garage that used to service it that it is normal and nothing to worry about - any other 1.6 Auto drivers that can verify?)

The thread below

"Carina E rattle on accelleration"

Has the advice you'll be looking for.

Took it to Toyota main dealer this lunchtime, who kindly looked at it and took for a test drive (for free!) and diagnosed loose baffle/something else loose in the exhaust.

I now have it booked in with my trusted mechanic for the accessory belt replacing on Wedbesday and I will post when I see if this fixes it.

My mechanic has now replaced the alternator belt and also the power steering belt for good measure - £40 and quiet as a church mouse!

I'm afraid more help is needed! :angry:

I drove the car from the garage and the sound had all but gone.

However, now when I start the car in the morning, or when she has been stood long enough to go cold (at least 6 hours) the noise is back with a vengeance and very loud for the first 2-3 minutes of driving. After this, it quietens down, and you have to strain to hear it, but it is still there.

Further, when I started her yesterday evening, there was a short sharp screech and a smell of burning rubber.

My mechanic advised me that there was a slight noise coming from the alternator and that this is now the most likely cause of the problem, i.e. worn bearings in the alternator. Does this sound plausible?

Any other suggestions welcomed!

I'm afraid more help is needed!  :angry:

I drove the car from the garage and the sound had all but gone.

However, now when I start the car in the morning, or when she has been stood long enough to go cold (at least 6 hours) the noise is back with a vengeance and very loud for the first 2-3 minutes of driving.  After this, it quietens down, and you have to strain to hear it, but it is still there.

Further, when I started her yesterday evening, there was a short sharp screech and a smell of burning rubber.

My mechanic advised me that there was a slight noise coming from the alternator and that this is now the most likely cause of the problem, i.e. worn bearings in the alternator.  Does this sound plausible?

Any other suggestions welcomed!

Are you sure none of the exhaust is in contact with the car body?

The conundrum deepens! <_<

I have now had the alternator replaced, which has resulted in no sound whilst driving.

However, when starting from cold, the loud rattling/screeching noise is as apparent as ever.

It seems that this sound only appeared after I had the alternator belt replaced. Would a faulty/ill-fitted belt cause the noises? It quietens down after only 2 or 3 minutes, but is still rather annoying.

I am happy that the exhaust is not to blame.

The conundrum deepens!  <_<

I have now had the alternator replaced, which has resulted in no sound whilst driving. 

However, when starting from cold, the loud rattling/screeching noise is as apparent as ever.

It seems that this sound only appeared after I had the alternator belt replaced.  Would a faulty/ill-fitted belt cause the noises?  It quietens down after only 2 or 3 minutes, but is still rather annoying.

I am happy that the exhaust is not to blame.

may just be the belt settling in, check the slackness of the belt and adjust as necessary may be when the belt gets warm its expanded and has slackened a bit :thumbsup:

apparently, putting the belt on backwards has cured it. i'll be posting again in the morning if it hasn't! how bizarre!

IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!

Although my mechanic maintains he has now fitted the belt backwards, I think it was probably backwards before. Wonder why it made such a noise?!

At least I'm no longer embarassed to start her up in a morning!

• 2 weeks later...

:crybaby: It's back!

Just a couple of days after the last "fix" it started again. Admittedly much quieter and not lasting as long, but it's driving me mad now!

Everything has been checked and rechecked, especially tension, so all I can imagine now is that the belt is faulty in some way.

Am going to get another garage to have a look and see what they think.