Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Consumption ( If Thats How You Spell It )

AE82 GT

Hi guys,

My Rev 1 - SW20 has been eating a fair bit of oil of late, on average half a litre every 2 weeks? i am running Mobil 1 fully synth so i have put it down to it burning a lot when cold which would account for it + driving it hard 1/2 times a week.

so whats everyone's oil consumption like in general and is mine worryingly high?

Thanks

Tom.

any smoke out the back?

possibly worn piston or turbo seals

also check our sump, if theres any oil caked round it, maybe a worn sump gasket or even missing the oil bung washer!

Is it an NA? I would change the oil to something thicker, maybe 10w40 as toyota suggest... Castrol GTX magnatec. Thats what I use , and it uses minimal oil between 3000 mile changes :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys,

The car is a N/A - with everything standard.

It's not blowing any smoke at all? but i think the problem may be coming from using such a thin oil.

It's dew a service end of this month so i'll use GTX (which is what it was on before)

Thanks for your help.

Tom.

I use Mobil 1 in my GT4 and the consumption works out at about 1/2 litre per 1000 miles. Thats with variable driving, :thumbsup: Quite normal and well within MrT guidelines. of 1 litre per 1000Miles :thumbsup:

personally id say no-no to magnetec

i used it in mine and i sounded terrible, like a diesel on start up and made a loud ticking noise! i thought something was about to let go in the engine until 'oilman' on these forums explained the ins and outs of magnetec, and the fancy stuff that makes it 'magnetec' destroys part of its lube properties... or somat like that

went onto mobil1 and its quiet and happy as a pig in poo

My N/A uses a fair amount of oil. Has covered 80k miles and I'd say it gets through half a litre roughly every 6 weeks. I do tend to be over-cautious with oil though and sometimes I top up when it may not really need it.

well i guess that answeres that one then!

On further investgation it turns out that "good" engines that are designed to be driven hard (Ish) are supposed to burn oil.

apparently the honda ( dare i mention that name on our forum ) v-tec system on the early BA16 engine caines oil when the VT is engaged, in fact you can see a puff of black smoke when it lights up!

also the clearances in cold engines are larger when cold and when the lump heats up it expands making the tollarances in the engine less thus allowing less oil to get burned. ( an engineering explanation, to the cause)

so the outcome i guess is, nothing to worry about. result!

Cheers guys,

Tom.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links