Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Vs Diesel

stevetubbyturbo

As the title says really whats better (or what do you perfur) Petrol or Diesel?

The reason i ask is my company car got hit by a lorry (lucky i wasnt in the car at the time) and its a 2005 Ford Focus 1.8 TDi and it is very quick and has loads of power.

The Focus has gone in for repair today and my loan car is a 2005 Vaxhall Corsa 18 SRi (which i hate as its horrid) and it has not got a patch on my Focus power wise, Ok the Focus has a turbo but i would have thought the petrol engine would have more power being a 1.8 and half the size im not impressed at all with it as i have to change gear all the time where in the Focus i dont have to change gear as it has a lot more torque as its diesel.

Its just seems that diesel engines are really coming on and petrol engines are getting slower.

my A4 feels loads quicker than my yaris,150bhp, huge bag of torque just pulls and pulls and pulls.......... but at the end of the day its not as quick. but yes if it was for an everyday car i'd go for the diesel every time :)

a lot more development seems to have gone into the Diesel engine since it's 'agricultural' early days. Even taxis are relatively quiet now. Even so, the only way to get an accurate comparison is to try a Focus petrol model. Comparing a ford focus to a vauxhall corsa isn't a fair contest.

Arsonists still prefer petrol though.

a lot more development seems to have gone into the Diesel engine since it's 'agricultural' early days. Even taxis are relatively quiet now. Even so, the only way to get an accurate comparison is to try a Focus petrol model. Comparing a ford focus to a vauxhall corsa isn't a fair contest.

Arsonists still prefer petrol though.

We do have a Ford Focus 1.8 zetec in our fleet i'll have to try pinch it for a day and explain to the manager its for a scientific purpose and omit to tell him i going to cane it :lol:

I'm a petrol gal - I have no need for diesel!

The Corolla is diesel, it does sound a bit "trucky", but its a lovely drive and very peppy!

But on the whole, I prefer petrol! :thumbsup:

The big advantage that I find is that my "other" car is a Renault Kangoo diesel van, & I don't have to look at the fuel gauge. If it is Thursday, it is time to fill her up. Sometimes I even get a pleasant surprise :thumbsup:

Much more economical

my dads seat ibiza sport diesel (1.9tdi) is a joy to drive and !Removed! good fun.

id have no problems with owning a turbo diesel

For everyday type of cars.. i would be happy with a diesel... but if i was after a car like my old MR2 Turbo... no TDi compares...

Sports cars need petrol (Of course this is changing) for best performance... and the whole sound of a diesel although quieter in the new cars... still sounds like rubbish ompared to petrol cars.

Can you imagine pulling up next to a Diesel TVR... :!Removed!:

For everyday type of cars.. i would be happy with a diesel... but if i was after a car like my old MR2 Turbo... no TDi compares...

Sports cars need petrol (Of course this is changing) for best performance... and the whole sound of a diesel although quieter in the new cars... still sounds like rubbish ompared to petrol cars.

Can you imagine pulling up next to a Diesel TVR...  :!Removed!:

i agree

i once had a ride in a 1987 Opel Kadette Diesel (or should that be Diseasal)

my hearing was damage permanent and put me off the filthy crap things for ever

petrol all the way for me, for now, however....

the drag car at donny show ran on diesel and did 100mph in 1 second! :eek:

I prefer Petrol as it's quieter and cheaper to purchase then diesel..however diesel does have good points - diesel lasts longer than petrol etc..

But yeah I like Petrol best :)

show me a deisel sports car .. and I *may* change my mind ..

And saying that the new TDi's keep up with petrol? IT'S CAUSE IT'S A TURBO.

Like for like, no 2.0TD will keep up with a 2.0T petrol ..

I've never driven a diesel so I'm not in a position to compare it to petrol, but does it really make much difference how noisy/quiet the engines are? Loads of people on here change the exhausts etc on their car to make it louder. My cousin's got a new Mitsubishi Evo 8 & that sounds magnificent, having said that, I have been a passenger in a fair few diesel vans & they tend to sound appalling.

Had a (DON'T LAUGH) Rover 218 turbo diesel, as a taxi did round the world acouple of times and still went like a pocket rocket when I part ex'd for for the mr2 :D

Diesel cars now-a-days are alot more refined than they were a few years ago..... more powerfull, quieter and still do the same miles per gallon as they allways did.

I'm very happy with my Toyota D-4D.... it's cheaper to tax and cheaper to fill up than the similar spec'd Toyota 1.8 vvti version.....

I had a Seat ibiza fr tdi ( 1.9t vw engine ) before I got my gorgeous Tubby off Fizz, well I can say the ibiza was alot of fun for its size, and it did feel fast due to the amount of torque, but the gears are too short to be a hot hatch, yeah it pulls with full torque from 2k rpm.. but all torque is gone by 4.5krpm, If you are willing to change gear alot to keep it in the power band then yeah it can be quite quick.

However from experience at the traffic light grand prixs with my old ibiza I have to say that off the line It was fast with all the torque ... but the petrol cars just have more in the gears and the diesal just cannot keep up.

Another good thing is their power when overtaking, fantastic amount of on tap power, however this runs out pretty damn quick because of the short gears.

I mean who hasn't been flying down a motorway when suddenly a tdi van comes flying up behind you and flashes you out of the way :o well this used to happen in my old 1.4 leon I had which I was always impressed by :)

But the noise.... the noise is horrible I think, I could not live with it, there was no way of changing it and at peak revs a diesal car sounds horrible imo...

I wouldn't change back for the world... the mr2 is the car for me :thumbsup:

one last thing... 20quid a week for fuel for the tdi ibiza.... getting on 50quid a week for the mr2 turbo... still love it to pieces though :)

Horses for courses I say....

Modern turbo diesel cars feel fast because they have bags of torque (and that's what you feel) and a sharply rising torque curve. But petrol engines have a much larger power band, so even though they feel slower, in reality they are not. When you actually look at 0-60 times for turbo diesel cars, there are only a few that have respectable times compared to a similar capacity N/A petrol engine.

And it's not always true that diesel cars are more economical. In the Sunday Times, they compared a 1L petrol citroen to a 1.4HDI (that new model, the same car as the Toyota Aygo). They did a lap of the M25 at 50mph. The petrol car did 83mpg :eek: , and the diesel only managed seventy something. And they said that the petrol car felt more spritely too.

Modern turbo diesel cars feel fast because they have bags of torque (and that's what you feel) and a sharply rising torque curve. But petrol engines have a much larger power band, so even though they feel slower, in reality they are not. When you actually look at 0-60 times for turbo diesel cars, there are only a few that have respectable times compared to a similar capacity N/A petrol engine.

And it's not always true that diesel cars are more economical. In the Sunday Times, they compared a 1L petrol citroen to a 1.4HDI (that new model, the same car as the Toyota Aygo). They did a lap of the M25 at 50mph. The petrol car did 83mpg  :eek: , and the diesel only managed seventy something. And they said that the petrol car felt more spritely too.

I think you will find that they are better at stop and start city driving.. :thumbsup:

I think you will find that they are better at stop and start city driving..  :thumbsup:

yeah I agree with that, the mr2 isn't as welcoming to stop and start driving like the old tdi was, plus it always wants to go ..... could just be my driving :rolleyes::unsure:

Only diesel (1.9) I've driven was my ex-boss's peugot. I think it was a 307, some estate. Absolutly horrible. About half an inch of travel on the throttle pedal, and yea there was torque and response and a big lump of power all at once before you have to change up, but its nothing like the response and continuous power build up of the celica (after 3krpm).

I won't base my oppinions of diesel's souly on that though, but that peugot hdi was terrible.

I cannot stand diesels.

I don't like the noise they make, I don't like the way they rev.

I don't like the smell of the fuel, of the black sooty smoke that occasionaly comes out the back......

Lots of torque though!!