Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sourcing A Turbo Engine

dawolf

I'm on the lookout for a cheap used MR2 turbo engine with ancillaries to convert my N/A. Had a quick look on some websites but can't find any. The other option would be to buy a cheap, damaged turbo car and take the engine from that, there are a couple going on e-bay. What do you think, any tips? Also, what would labour costs be?

Rogue Systems import engines as do Fensport. Can be costly though, but least you know they will run well.

Or as you said buy a crash damaged car and drop the lump, but you'll have no garantee of how well the engine has been looked after or no back up if things go wrong.

I also know from experience of swapping engines over (not turbo conversion) - there is no such thing as cheep engines. I got my engine for £75 and spent over £400 to get it to run properly. Where as I could have bought a low mileage engine with full history and garantee for under £300. I know what I'll be doing next time :ph34r:

You could also try Jon Barnes here:

http://www.jbmotorsport.co.uk

As far as I know he's still a member of TOC as well. He's got a Supercharged Corolla and a GT4 Carlos Saintz. He imports all manner of Toyota engines and bits. Apparently he's cheaper than Fensport and the engines are better (although I haven't had any experience of his engines yet).

wouldnt u need the ecu, wiring loom etc aswell????

here is a thought for u???? sell ur na and buy a nice turbo tubby???

good idea??

baz

ive seen low millage, st205 engines with loom and ECU, fully degreased, cam belt done and any other repair and an odd mod here or there if your lucky...

on the japanese auctions for around 3000 pounds!..... before you import it!

unknown engines as little as 750quid but likely to go bang or may already have done!

best bet, buy a turbo to start with

fensport do pre 94 low milege jap import engines complete with turbo, manifolds etc for 900 notes. give them a go. if you can get in touch with them, mission everytime.

That sounds very reasonable, I'll give Fensport a try  :thumbsup: .

I know Fensport have got some in stock at the moment. Don't forget to add VAT!!

jbmotorsport will do you a cheaper deal and a better engine too!!

dude, id just buy a tubby. After all the hassle and grief of a conversion (which it WILL be, ive had a couple myself), you'll only be left with a transplanted car. It wont be a GTS. It'll still have a G-LTD log book and it could prove tricky to sell. Turbo aren't exactly mega money, and it'll come with all the little extras that comes with a GTS Badge (plus, you'll be able to sell it easier).

just my 2p mind.... :thumbsup:

I found these guys ealier today.

http://www.reconditioned-engines.co.uk/index.shtml

They quoted me £1,195 to swap my engine for a completely re-built and degreased 3S-GTE engine. That included all new filters and belts, and oil. It comes with a 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty. The warranty covers absolutely any engine problems.

IMO that's a !Removed! good price!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I nearly went down this road a while back when I blew my old n/a engine..

IMOC always seems to have something going on in the forsale section, I passed up at 3 engines, all with everything for the conversion.. wish I hadn't now tho :(

Speak to Lord_Ed .. he had a spare not to long ago .. think he was after about £600.

I am ultimately looking at doing this... but I have my reasons for wanting to do it as opposed to buying a tubby...

1) I want a rev3 or better

2) you cant get the rev3 in Zircon Blue

3) If I have modded a car and got to know it and all its little bits.. replaced some etc etc and generally got it to a state I know... why buy something that will most probably be pretty standard for the money I'll have and also come with those previous owner niggles again..

I heard that Shahid on IMOC does a tubby conversion for around £1600 and loads of peeps say he is a top guy.. tho I have never used him...

Im also gonna look at that reconditioned engines place.. that looks good.

Dont forget you need a gearbox, linkage, hubs and loom.. it might be worth buying a frontal crashed tubby and selling the bits if you have the room.