Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Optitron Instruments

parker

I know that the instrument lighting is adjustable when the side/headlamps are on, but does anyone know if the daylight intensity can be dimmed? There are some lighting conditions, e.g. overcast, where I find the instruments distracting. Without switching on the sidelights to dim the display, I don't know if anything can be done about it.

Not found anything myself, after a bit of a search. SOme guys here know about toyota service 'hacks' to alter certain things i.e. seatbelt chimes. Maybe there is one for this. I dunno, keep asking!

Not found anything myself, after a bit of a search.  SOme guys here know about toyota service 'hacks' to alter certain things i.e. seatbelt chimes. Maybe there is one for this. I dunno, keep asking!

For Avensis

The meter display changes from the odometer to trip meter A trip meter and B

and the instrument panel light control in order then back to odometer.

to adjust the brightness of the instument panel lights display the instrument

panel as above push the knob down untill the desired brightness is obtained

taken from Avensis hand book

All I can say is it is possible -- here in Finland it's law that, like motorbikes in the UK these days, the lights come on as soon as you start the car (i.e. the lights are always on day and night, good safety feature). BUT, if you want all your instrument panels lit up at night (radio, air con controls, etc.) you still have to twist the stick as if turning the lights on. The upshot is that without twisting the stick you set a brightness for daytime, and when you've manually turned the stick as if going on to dip beam you set the brightness for night time.

In summary, try adjusting the diplay brightness with your lights off and then with your lights on dip (not side?) and see if your car remembers the settings for each.

• 3 weeks later...
All I can say is it is possible -- here in Finland it's law that, like motorbikes in the UK these days, the lights come on as soon as you start the car (i.e. the lights are always on day and night, good safety feature). BUT, if you want all your instrument panels lit up at night (radio, air con controls, etc.) you still have to twist the stick as if turning the lights on. The upshot is that without twisting the stick you set a brightness for daytime, and when you've manually turned the stick as if going on to dip beam you set the brightness for night time.

In summary, try adjusting the diplay brightness with your lights off and then with your lights on dip (not side?) and see if your car remembers the settings for each.

I think the answer is probably, as has been said, a similar "fix" as the silencing of the seat belt reminder. However, I'm reluctant to experiment in case I switch off the display completely, with the resulting expense and sniggering at the local dealer. I think I'll just accept things as is, and when the display appears to be too bright treat it as a warning that perhaps I should switch the lights on.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Did anyone ever find a way to dim the display when the lights are off? I find mine to be very bright, especially on a dull day.

It's the only minor irritation I have with what otherwise is a very fine car.

Thanks.

There is no way to dim the display with lights off. Toyota made sure customer was not able to do so. So, if display becomes too bright, turn on the lights to dim it. For me, when the day is sunny, iluminations of display is OK. When it's cloudy, I always turn the lights on because of safety reasons. I guess that's the way Toyota wants it to be.

There is no way to dim the display with lights off. Toyota made sure customer was not able to do so. So, if display becomes too bright, turn on the lights to dim it. For me, when the day is sunny, iluminations of display is OK. When it's cloudy, I always turn the lights on because of safety reasons. I guess that's the way Toyota wants it to be.

OK. Thanks for the information and advice. You are right, on a sunny day the brightness is OK.