Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stolen And Written Off Motor :-(

Leeky

Ok tomorrow i was supposed to be going to Newcastle to swap my Toyota Supra for a Lotus Esprit Turbo but i've just done a Datacheck with the AA and found that the car was stolen and written off in 2003 :(

Im majorly bummed out now as it was pretty much a sealed deal.

What do i do now? :( Walk away? or should i still consider it?

:crybaby:

what category write off was it?

Thats the first question... if could just have been and economic write off... rather than major damage..

Depending on the above, get a full inspection - and knock down the price for it... if you still want it...

Just because it has been stolen, doesnt mean its not a good buy - but if your going to sell it on quickly, then walk away, too much hassle.. but if its for you, then at least give it a chance, you could save a few bob...

All I will say is, check the gearbox with a fine-tooth comb..

Yeah.. im waiting on the AA to get back to me with the Cat details. The datacheck was going SO well, until he got to the stolen/written off bit and i nearly fell off my chair :(

Oh well, i'll hang back until i get all the facts from the AA. I'll make a decision then.

Out of curiosity would Supra wheels fit an Esprit? Its just we were going to do a swap so there will be no money involved so if i cant knock him down im thinking i could keep my veilside wheels to make up the difference and leave him my supra with the Lotus wheels on it :lol:

Maybe it was just an insurance write off... as in , it was stolen and not recovered before the insurance paid ou to the owner.. or do you know it was in an accident?

Unfortunately it was in an accident

But! :)

Im waiting on the AA to get back to me to give me the full facts of the incident.

At the end of the day the Esprit is worth more than the Supra anyway regardless of the accident/thieft so it looks like im still going to get the Esprit. :)

I've pushed back picking it up until Saturday now so i have time to get the datacheck stuff through :)

Yeah, I agree wit Jaxx. Expensive salvage/flood/accident cars are rarely a good idea.

And trading a clean Supra for an iffy Lotus is...weaksauce.

Is it a private deal mate, cos I've worked in the motor trade in Newcastle for about 17 years now. If it's a trader with a bad reputation I can give you a shout :thumbsup:

I'd say leave it.

What happens when/ if you come to sell the Lotus - will the next person want to buy a car with that history?

As the Guiness advert says, good things come to those who wait. ;)

If it's a trader with a bad reputation I can give you a shout :thumbsup:

Cheers dude, may just do that :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input everyone, has really helped me think this over! :thumbsup:

I've been on to the guy selling her. Looks like all's well. We have striked up a deal so as of this weekend i will be swapping the supra as planned :)

End of the day i imported my supra and avoided all the usual costs so it didnt cost me much, and a similar Esprit to this would usually cost £8-12k :yes: A lot less than my supra cost me ;)

As of this weekend i will be a Lotus boy ;) :lol: But im also getting an ST185 so i'll still be a TOC'er :thumbsup: B)

Best of both worlds there then chap  Good plan. :thumbsup:

:D Yep, i'll also be one of you Gen5 GT4 boys :lol: :D

and the insurance?

A bit more than the supra..but im not surprised :) Insuring a supercar when your under 25 aint cheap :(

just because a cars been an insurance write off dosnt mean its a bad buy.

my rolla was written off in 2001. basicaly panel damage to the door and 1/4 panel.

recorded as a cat 'd' but repaired it myself and put it back on the road. it had to have an engineers report wich it sailed through. so cos it was written off would you consider it as a lemon? if i was to sell it for £2000 on the forum would no one buy i cos "it was a write off" i hope not!

as long as o get a full AA or RAC report on it there is no reason not to touch an accident damaged car.

just my 2c

by the way leeky hope all goes well. ps try to get a CS 185 as the Air to air version is pants :lol:

Yeah but dawsey everybody knows you and your car and knows how much work has gone into it - thats why they wouldnt be put off - but if i didnt know the person - as i dont think leeky does then i personally wouldnt touch the car

T x

Yeah but dawsey everybody knows you and your car and knows how much work has gone into it - thats why they wouldnt be put off - but if i didnt know the person - as i dont think leeky does then i personally wouldnt touch the car

T x

I'm of the same opinion :yes: but I get the impression the lads mind is made reet ooop!!! :thumbsup:

Dude.. if there is some way you can keep those wheels, you know I have a "thing" for them!!!!