Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo Xs Bov

Markturbo

hi i finally got my turbo xs H/RFL bov today just wondering if anyone can help me along to fitting it

i know how to take the standard one off and i know you have to block that pipe but what pipe do i connect to my new bov

also how many washers do you think i should put in the bov and where abouts do you put them

i know how to take the standard one off and i know you have to block that pipe but what pipe do i connect to my new bov

You don't connect any pipe to your new one.....that pipe the old one connects to sends the PSSSSSHHHHH back into the intake area, so without it connected you gonna PSSSHHHHHH to the atmo :)

also how many washers do you think i should put in the bov and where abouts do you put them

Start with 2 and add from there if you need to :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Fit the valve and go for a run, try and get on full boost, then back off and dip the clutch, if it feels like it is going to stall then you need to fit another washer, keep repeating the process until it runs smoothly :thumbsup:

Be very carefull handling the valve though as it will get very very hot :yes:

so at the top of the bov i don't put any pipe on there because on my old blitz one im sure there was a pipe on there

also this may sound dumb where abouts do i put the washers

aslo i don't suppose if any of you two could send me some pics of it on your car so i can roughly look to see how to do it cheers

You should have one narrow pipe about 1/4 inch which attaches to the end facing the rear of the car. ( No2 )

If you hold onto the valve with the open end in your left hand, twist the other end just above the trumpet with your right hand ( No1 ), be carefull because it is spring loaded, when you have removed this part, remove the spring from the main body of the valve and thats where the washers go

The picture isnt a Turbo XS BOV just an example

post-16736-1127856793_thumb.jpg

well i will have a go tomorrow and hopefully it goes well

i don't suppose that if i get stuck if i take some pics i could post them to you and maybe you could try help me along don't worry if you don't want to though

i tried posting pics on here but i couldn't or do you have to be a paid member

You might get away with fitting it with a t-piece, but I wouldnt bother, get on to POTN and ask them if they have one in stock :thumbsup:

Custom intercooler pipes with relocated BOV (HKS SSQV)...

You can really hear wastegate chatter and BOV in stereo... plus no need to re-pressurize (sp?) intercooler when back on the throttle...

(strut brace still fits nicely, removed during fitting)

Before (with stock intercooler)

bov.jpg

After (with HKS Type-S intercooler)

bov1.jpg

that looks cool how much was the piping to get made up and where from is that on standard turbo and intercooler

does the bov sound just as loud in that place or a bit quieter

that looks cool how much was the piping to get made up and where from is that on standard turbo and intercooler

does the bov sound just as loud in that place or a bit quieter

The intercooler is an HKS Type-S which we were testing for flow, pressure loss, efficiency etc, from which to improve from with our intercoolers. This has been put on hold now... but means I'm left with a one-off nice set up!

After fitting the HKS IC I had the pipes designed by myself and a friend who works for an F1 company (handy having people in the know) for optimum flow, which we then made a template using conduit. I then sent this to Hayward & Scott for fabrication in 60mm stainless. A little tweeking was needed, but this was done when I took the car down to them. My friend made the adapter for the BOV out of stainless, and we've placed it on the inside radius of the pipe to reduce airflow disruption.

We've swapped over the inlet and outlet ports of the HKS intercooler. They intended you to run the cooled air back out down by the downpipe, passed the manifold, under the hot inlet pipe and over the cylinder head. Hmmm... they thought that through. We're using the original outlet as the inlet and vice versa. The cooled air now comes straight out following a nice radius near no other heat source. SSQV can be rotated to point straight out of engine lid... or as I have, fire it under the pipe. Might be worth wrapping that part of the pipe in thermal tape.

Moving the BOV has several benefits. Firstly, if you take the stock pipe from turbo to intercooler and look inside, have a look to see what the air coming out of the turbo first hits. A great big cavity for the stock BOV. Disruption of airflow in speed and turbulence. Secondly, as said before, there's no need for the IC to re-pressurize when back on the throttle. This is achieved by getting it as near to the throttle body as possible. Thirdly, feel the heat of the BOV after a run. Just give the engine some revs and feel the temperature of the air vented back into the engine bay from the BOV and back near the air intake. It's only a small point, but still makes a difference.

It's hard to put a price on developing the pipes, but to actually get them made after the hard work had been done cost in the region of £150.

The BOV sounds just as loud, but it doesn't mask the wastegate chatter, so you hear both in stereo. Awesome sound.

Like I said earlier, we were developing intercoolers to sell on with the same setup as mine, but with improvements made on the HKS intercooler. Bibbs was helping us out with some testing on his car so we could fabricate the kits to be universal for all revisions.

Airflow with new piping provides minimal pressure loss and has enabled us to run the stock Rev3 turbo at 1.44 bar whilst temps remain good (as did fuel). Pulls like a train. Back down to 1.15 bar after testing. Shame... once you feel the difference!!!

This thread has gone from Hayne's manual to a Stephen Hawkins Thesis in a couple of posts  :eek:

yep i havnt a clue whats going on here, trying to pick up bits and bobs!

wastegate chatter

Or compressor surge ;)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

You passed the test... :P :unsure:

Jesus has spoken :thumbsup: The MR2 god ;)

jerry!!

i thought 'wastegate chatter' was a mishaprehention (sp)

its the compressor that makes the chatter noise as air flow backwards through it and over the blades

the wastegate in theory doesnt make a noise... except for a rushing noise when its open as its letting off excess pressure :P

Jesus has spoken  :thumbsup: The MR2 god  ;)

jerry!!

I wouldn't go as far as that mate... I stood corrected on compressor surge! But thanks anyway mate. :D

i thought 'wastegate chatter' was a mishaprehention (sp)

its the compressor that makes the chatter noise as air flow backwards through it and over the blades

the wastegate in theory doesnt make a noise... except for a rushing noise when its open as its letting off excess pressure :P

Yup... like Kiwi said. Boy is my face red. :ph34r: