Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Yaris Is Dead (temporarily I Hope)

lewis23285

Let me set the scene, I'm driving my usual route to work in my 52 reg Yaris (1.0l GS) that I've had for 4 months, doing about 50mph in left hand lane on the three-lane dual carriageway A40 WHEN THE ACCELERATOR STOPS WORKING!!!

So I panically change gears (down to 3rd) and still no power whatsoever when I put my foot down on accelearator. Meanwhile the lorry behind me is getting close and closer. On go the hazards, and I have no option to pullover onto the semi-hard shoulder (not a m-way, so no full lane hard shoulder) - meaning I am blocking half a lane of the A40.

As soon as I pull over and stop the engine conks out. I try and relax, compose myself and switch on the ignition (praying it will start) - well, my prayers were not answered - the car started violently shaking and then the engine cut. So I tried again, and once again, car shakes and engine conks. I try one more time, and this time the engine doesn't even bother starting. ( I should add at this point - I had NOT run out of petrol).

So, I realise I've got a serious problem (! :crybaby: !), I climbed over to passenger seat and get out of the car from that side, and pulled out my red triangle from the boot and put it about 15 metres behind the car. Meanwhile lorries are still hurtling past me at 50/60/70 mph and my poor Yaris is just sitting there!

Just as I'm about to get into the car to call the AA, a police van pulls up in front of me :ffs: what the hell does he want? But to be fair, he was a really nice guy and asked if I was OK (I was) and if I was a member of a recovery service (I am), and whilst I half-expected him just tow me slightly safer, he just got back in his van and left.

So, I called the AA at 7.40am, and the lady I spoke to said she'd mark it as urgent and said the patrolman should be with me by 8.15am, and to wait outside the car on the other side of the emergency barrier, which I did. So I wait outside IN THE FLIPPING COLD till 8.14am, when I get a text message from the AA saying patrolman will now be with me by 8.30 am :censor:

Anyway, the nice AA man (Jim) arrives at about 8.25am and pops the bonnet and starts playing with the engine. He comes to the same conclusion that the car is fu**ed - but he's not sure why. We get the car onto the back of his tow truck and he lifts my little Yaris up into the air. We both got in the cab and firstly he drove us somewhere safe where he could have a look at the car without the risk of other idiots on the road who see a red triangle and flashing yellow lights, and think oooh lets drive even faster than we were doing and beep at them - pratts :ffs:

So now in a safe place, AA man plays with engine a bit more and manages to get it to start and not conk out :) . 2 minutes it after it conks out :( .

As I have "Roadside Relay" coverage, the AA man said he'd take my car to the nearest Toyota garage (Slough) and me to work (Staines) - which I must say I was very impressed with. So we get back in the AA truck and I desparately call 118118 to get Toyota Slough's number and warn them that they've got an angry customer on the way with a Yaris (4 month into a 1 year warrranty) on the back of an AA truck.

We get there, and manage to get the engine on, but now the ABS warning light was on, and the handbrake warning light was on, even though the handbrake was down ?!?!?! Service guy says he can't look at it today but will try tomorrow - not impressed, but nothing I can do really.

So, I get my laptop out the car give Toyota the key and AA man takes me to work at Staines ( I arrive at 10 past 10, after breaking down at 7.40am).

So to summarise, I'm now at home in Golders Green after taking train and two tubes home. My Yaris is currently dead in Slough and I'm UTTERLY PI**ED OFF!!!

:crybaby:

Lewis

PS any idea what might be wrong with it?

Gos that sounds terrifying - glad your ok though mate! :eek:

Lets hope its a relatively non-serious problem like Gerard says.... I'd be worried if I worked at that Toyota centre.... :unsure:

Good luck with getting it all sorted!

Sorry to hear about that dude.

Hopefully the garage will be able to sort it. Not the sort of thing you want happening on the A40 though!

OT - Jim the AA man. He wasn't about 5'10, dark/greying short hair, tattoo's and dog rough looking (:D)?

If so, that's my mate! :D

hope it can be fixed, bad stuff happens to everyone, just damn annoying when it does

Hi All,

Update: just called the Slough Toyota service department. Car hasn't been looked at yet, but the guy assures me it will be looked at today.

was your yaris made in france by any chance??

No, mine's Japanese made.

OT - Jim the AA man. He wasn't about 5'10, dark/greying short hair, tattoo's and dog rough looking ()?

No, my patrol man was about 6ft, thin, dark-greying hair and no tatoos.

If I hear more from the grage, I'll let you guys know.

Lewis

Eh? surely it doesnt make any difference? Unless I've missed something.... :unsure:

I think whats being suggested is that french build quality is ruddy (over jap). He aint suggesting it a common fault i dont think (havent heard anything bout it :P)

Sorry to hear bout your poor yaris :( Hope those yota ppl get it fixed soon tho and hope they accidently make it super quick :D (worth the thought to cheer you up :P)

UPDATE:

Toyota Slough have just called me to tell me what's wrong with my car...

Apparently it did run out of petrol. I tell them that's impossible as the gauge was showing 3 out of the 8 bars. The mechanic tells me point blank that there's no petrol and no petrol fumes left in the car.

Toyota Slough also tell me that they're not willing to do anything further on the car as when it gets more petrol, I'll be able to drive it safely back to Toyota Jemca in Hendon where I bought the car 4 months ago.

So tomorrow morning I have get to Slough, push my car to a petrol station (or get a can of petrol), and then drive 30 miles home with ABS and handbrake warning lights on. Then Jemca will look at the car and try and fix the problem(s).

Lewis (not a happy man) :censor:

Have you got an indicator on the LCD on your dash, so you can see how many miles you should have left in your tank?

If you can, get a jerry can on your way down, and fill it up with petrol. A bit harsh that they can't at least give you a lift to a petrol station to get some fuel.

No, mine's Japanese made.

Sorry, I have to laugh! :lol::lol::lol:

Gnome - he has a P1 - no guage....

I'm concerned about the digital display though - surely it must be faulty - if it can show three bars and be empty.... :unsure:

UPDATE:

Apparently it did run out of petrol. I tell them that's impossible as the gauge was showing 3 out of the 8 bars. The mechanic tells me point blank that there's no petrol and no petrol fumes left in the car.

Toyota Slough also tell me that they're not willing to do anything further on the car as when it gets more petrol, I'll be able to drive it safely back to Toyota Jemca in Hendon where I bought the car 4 months ago.

So tomorrow morning I have get to Slough, push my car to a petrol station (or get a can of petrol), and then drive 30 miles home with ABS and handbrake warning lights on. Then Jemca will look at the car and try and fix the problem(s).

Lewis  (not a happy man)  :censor:

Bad luck dude....atleast it wasn't anything serious!

Kick up a storm where you got you car from

I sure would :thumbsup: !

UPDATE:

Lewis  (not a happy man)  :censor:

That's madness, surely they can see the dash says 3 bars on it aswell? :unsure:

If those lights are on the dash then surely there could be a possible fault with the braking system? Once again MrT doesnt seem to care :blink:

damn sorry to hear about all ur problems fella, that sucks, and toyota didnt seem to be very helpfull what so ever!! did u find them to be quite rude to u?

make sure u get the car checked out again tho, its under warrenty this is the time to question it, seeing as i wouldnt have thought both warning lights would come on, secondly if it was out of petrol ur car fuel gauage is miss reading!!

Another Update:

Went to Toyota Slough this morning and they confirmed that the reason for the lights coming on was due to no petrol ??? They also agreed that there was a fault somewhere in the car with the sensors, but as I didn't buy the car from them and therefore my warrant wasn't with them. There was nothing further they could do. However, in their defence they did assure me that the car was safe to drive and that they definitely wouldn't let me leave if the car was not safe.

Then they charged me the 5 pounds of fuel they had put in it :censor:

So, skip forward 45 minutes to my arrival at Toyota Jemca Hendon. Went to reception and was impressed to already see my name assigned to an aftersales person (following my call last night). After 10 minute wait, he met me and we went to his desk wher I explained the whole saga - should have just printed out my original post and given it to him ;)

He immediately accepted there was a serious fault and admitted the car for service. Then I told him I wanted a courtesy car. To which he said that there were none available, as you have to book 10 days in advance. I explained that unfortunately I was unaware 10 days in advance that my car was going to break down. Fair point he said.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, he went looking in the back and managed to find a dented car that was actually on its way to bodyshop. He said did I mind if it had a dent and assured me it wouldn't effect the car's performance whatsoever, and that it would just look a bit ugly. I said fine and asked him what car it was....

1.6 COROLLA COLOUR COLLECTION AUTOMATIC 54 REG B)

I am of course very happy with this. I have it till Tuesday at the earliest, though I told him not to rush as I quite liked the corlla (even with a dent).

So thats the update, I'm off to do some fun automatic long-distance driving :)

Sounds like its all coming good in the end. :thumbsup:

Whats the kick down like? The previa i sometimes drives is pretty good, changes smoothly too. The auto yaris, with a MMT box, i had recenlt was awfull. Way to jerky and i use to roll back on hills slightly before engaging the clutch. The previa holds it. It that auto any better?

Sounds like you got on much better this morning :) Got a very nice car to use in the mean time tho too...

Enjoy the 'Rolla :thumbsup:

The auto yaris, with a MMT box, i had recenlt was awfull.  Way to jerky and i use to roll back on hills slightly before engaging the clutch. 

There is nothing wrong with the MMT box :P Changes are very smooth and slick :thumbsup:

If you used your handbrake like you were shown when you were taught how to drive, you would not roll back on hills. :rolleyes:

Lol, not a bad courtesy at all, good work blagging that, just dont get used to the 1.6L engine or the 1.0 Yaris will feel appallingly slow

When my brother had a Corolla courtesy car for 2 days it was the worst car ever, it leaned into fields on corners and just didn't move at all. I don't like them much!

Colour Collection might be a bit better though!

Anyway, when its time to collect don't let them fob you off with any rubbish excuses! :thumbsup: