Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot Sealant?

KevT3

Hi all,

I have just discovered that there is a line of sealant/cement kind of thing running along side the back of the boot (the wall behind the rear bumper)...

P1040187small.JPG

P1040186small.JPG

Does anyone knows what that it?

Has anyone got a similar kind of thing in their boot? or is mine just been repaired? I bought it from an official toyota dealer and they said they didn't know of any serious accident to the car when I asked them...

If that is not abnormal... can I get compensation? Where should I be writing to to complain?

Many thx

Kevin

As far as I know, that's the original sealant, I've had mine from new and I've got the same in the boot of my 97 3dr (8yrs). mines not-so neat in places too.

As far as I know, that's the original sealant, I've had mine from new and I've got the same in the boot of my 97 3dr (8yrs). mines not-so neat in places too.

Thx pal :thumbsup: But why the hell there are sealant everywhere? Is it leaking from the point it's manufactured?

Is it a general issue or are we the only two unlucky guys?

I'd ask to see if they would at least paint it up, so when you sell the next buyer doesn't have an issue with it. I'd be put off by it, if I didn't know it was a common fault.

I'd ask to see if they would at least paint it up, so when you sell the next buyer doesn't have an issue with it.  I'd be put off by it, if I didn't know it was a common fault.

Is yours like this? :blink: According to your info, yours in a T-Sport...

Kev

nope mine is fine, just offering my two cents. But all my joints are painted the same as the car, so If there was sealant i wouldn't have noticed.

nope mine is fine, just offering my two cents.  But all my joints are painted the same as the car, so If there was sealant i wouldn't have noticed.

Damn.... :unsure: Any other people's comments? One say normal, one say not.. :(

:blink: knowing my lack of knowledge it's probably the seam welds I've been looking at.

Mr miller does have a point about it being done prior to being sprayed common sense.

*seeds of doubt has been cast in mind

I'll have a look at mine to make sure.

there was a post about flooded boots previously (wondering if this may have been the fix?) , i'll see if I can find the link.

The flooded boot is my problem too... that's why I am creating another post just tot make sure the sealant is out of the question... I hope it is anyways...

I will be :ffs: if the dealer is this crap...

Kev

just had alokk in my boot.. yes its the same... ive got that grey sealant too.. just not quite as messy as yours. :thumbsup:

its covered by the carpet, so im not too bothered. maybe due to water in your boot mr T has tried to put extra on yours, as they would of noticed the water on the pre-sales check?

just had alokk in my boot.. yes its the same... ive got that grey sealant too.. just not quite as messy as yours.  :thumbsup:

its covered by the carpet, so im not too bothered. maybe due to water in your boot mr T has tried to put extra on yours, as they would of noticed the water on the pre-sales check?

Dunno about wether they know it prior to my purchase as I didn't discover it until I was curious about the condition of my spare tyre. I mean, they must have noticed it if there is an inch of water wobbling in the boot...

Kev

just had alokk in my boot.. yes its the same... ive got that grey sealant too.. just not quite as messy as yours.  :thumbsup:

Dunno about wether they know it prior to my purchase as I didn't discover it until I was curious about the condition of my spare tyre. I mean, they must have noticed it if there is an inch of water wobbling in the boot...

Kev

KEVT3, there are sealents in all Corollas at this area. The problem is not that there is sealant there. The problem is that this is too messy to have been done at the facory and not painted which means it has been added AFTER the car was sprayed.

I c.... :huh:

I will have a chat with them about it...

Kevin

Kev

KEVT3, there are sealents in all Corollas at this area. The problem is not that there is sealant there. The problem is that this is too messy to have been done at the facory and not painted which means it has been added AFTER the car was sprayed.

What do you reckon is the use of the sealant? I wouldn't have thought the rear bumper is glued on like this... <_<

to seal the porous welding done by a robot more than likely... knowing toyota GB.

• 2 weeks later...

got the same sealant in my 01 gs but its sprayed body colour so not so noticeable , didnt even see it until i read this post. seems a normal thing