Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electric Sunroof Problem

taximark

My electric sunroof on my 98 Avensis is playing up, it will open all the way but when you try to close it it wont close all the way, i had to cover the little gap with plastic to stop any rain getting in, anyone know what it may be as it does not seem jammed either.

Mine did this a couple of times, as it was under warranty I took it to Toyota and they reckoned the cables were stiffening up with age causing the anti-trap mechanism to kick-in. Eitherway they lubricated it whilst parts could be sourced which helped a bit, and they replaced the whole unit, the claim came to around four hundred pounds, best thing once sorted, just use the A/C, it's more fuel efficient than having open windows etc and far more effective at cooling :thumbsup:

Cheers i will check that out, its very strange because it slides open then stops but if i press the switch to open it will again fully but when closing it closes about 90 % but then stops dead without any motor noise or nothing telling me its trying to close, its as if it thinks its closed but its not, im abit worried because i need this for work and its saturday !

Theres quite a few previous posts on this topic. One thing to check is that there are no small objects (stones, etc) resting in the bottom of the rails/gullies on either side. Obvious I know, but I thought I'd mention it.

Hello again, today i rang Toyota in Sheffield up and told them what the sunroof was doing they said its common and that if i want to save alot of money do it my self (very nice of them i thought).

Anyway i took the head lining off (tricky job) and made acces to the s/roof motor at the front, what happens is the cables start to stretch so sometimes when it closes it doesnt go all the way because it thinks its shut. What you do i manually close it by turning the main cog in the motor with a socket and ratchet, then i tried it and it now works again so really it just needed a nudge only i had to nudge it the long way round!

Anyone else with this problem should do the same!

Hello again, today i rang Toyota in Sheffield up and told them what the sunroof was doing they said its common and that if i want to save alot of money do it my self (very nice of them i thought).

Anyway i took the head lining off (tricky job) and made acces to the s/roof motor at the front, what happens is  the cables start to stretch so sometimes when it closes it doesnt go all the way because it thinks its shut. What you do i manually close it by turning the main cog in the motor with a socket and ratchet, then i tried it and it now works again so really it just needed a nudge only i had to nudge it the long way round!

Anyone else with this problem should do the same!

I have similar problem from time to time, mine shuts 90% then re-opens. My simply fix is to exert slight upward pressure with a finger as the roof closes this fixes my problem

I have similar problem from time to time, mine shuts 90% then re-opens. My simply fix is to exert slight upward pressure with a finger as the roof closes this fixes my problem

To me that deffo sounds like something blocking it, as it opens up again rather than just stopping. You could probably do with checking the rails round about where it sticks.

Mike.

My 99 1.8 closes about 80% if I use auto close, it's fine when the engine is turned off but stops at 80% if the door is opened. I guess opening the door breaks the circuit.

It has been some time since this has happended to me as I always close it with the engine running so I can't think exactly how I fixed it but I'm thinking I used manual close, engine off keeping finger on the depressed button and opened the door. My local dealer did not have a clue and told me to take the car to them (some 25miles away) hence I started to play to close it.