Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E Exhaust Noise

Wombleman

I'm having a long saga with my 1.6 Carina e 1996 which may say more about Kwik-Fit than anything, but if anyone else has experienced this...

Back in May I started hearing a classic "blowing" noise from the exhaust - though no holes appeared obvious I took it to my local Kwik-Fit who diagnosed the centre-box part had collapsed inside. They replaced the long piece of exhaust that runs from the centre of the car right to the back including the rear box (1 part). If anything after this the noise was worse. Anyway I took it back and they fitted a new catalytic converter (one piece fits just before the long pipe already replaced - had to wait for the part too). After the the noise was terrible - everything vibrated especially at around 4000 rpm. Took it back and they put the proper mountings back on they'd "forgotten".

Anyway all OK until the last month when a noise returned - a loud "barking" from the rear when the accelerator was released. Under warranty they changed the cat for a slightly different one - leaving a worse bark from the rear. It's going back again to hace the whole long pipe replaced again (they think something has come off internally in the rear box) - if this doesn't cure it .....well what could it be?

Any ideas?

Well Kwik-Fit have changed the exhuast which is much quieter - but not perfect. The fitter contacted his garage and he reported that "there may be something loose in the gearbox" which is making the noise. There is also a small oil leak in the gearbox but is this a co-incidence? Anyone else heard of this or is it a dodgy excuse?

Well Kwik-Fit have changed the exhuast which is much quieter - but not perfect. The fitter contacted his garage and he reported that "there may be something loose in the gearbox" which is making the noise. There is also a small oil leak in the gearbox but is this a co-incidence? Anyone else heard of this or is it a dodgy excuse?

never have liked kwik fit tbh, alot of them dont seem to know what there doing, heard alot about these guys and most of its bad lol.

best way to find out if theres owt in the box is to drain the oil and put some new in, it could be an excuse tbh.

if ya dont mind me asking how much did they charge for the rear box part (bit after cat) of the exhaust as im going to be due a new one soon :yes:

The rear box/pipe was £113.50 including VAT (sometimes there a £1 charge for "eco disposal") so I'd guess the trade price is nearer £60!

You can see why I used the warranty. Actually checing the bill and the part was a "CARINA 1.8 9296 STP" - I wonder if this was slightly the wrong one. There does seem to be a lot of Carina exhaust varieties when you look in Kwik-Fit's order book.

The rear box/pipe was £113.50 including VAT (sometimes there a £1 charge for "eco disposal") so I'd guess the trade price is nearer £60!

You can see why I used the warranty. Actually checing the bill and the part was a "CARINA 1.8 9296 STP" - I wonder if this was slightly the wrong one. There does seem to be a lot of Carina exhaust varieties when you look in Kwik-Fit's order book.

thats mad a 1.8 system on a 1.6 what idiots!

i just checked up the rear box and pipe from a company called bosal and theres is a 4 stage system, theres so many exhausts out these days lol.

i know mines a 3 piece but it all looks exactly the same as there but with a pushfit joint in place.

and for £91.50 inclusive of delivery sounds a good deal if ya know how to fit it all yourself

08497002.gif

• 3 weeks later...

There's more. After all the replacement exhausts there is still a gruff "rasp" at 3,000 rpm. Kwik Fit contacted there MOT garage and they told me there may be something to tighten up in the gearbox (eh?). Anyway now I'm getting really bad vibration coming through the front of the car at about 2,800 rpm (60mph in 5th) accompanied by some alarming slapping noises (these go if the revs are kept below 2,500 rpm). So I'll be checking it back in to the garage - does it sound like an engine mounting bush has gone? I'm stumped.

You will probably find its down to the "Quality" of the exhaust fitted by Kw*k F*t - if you compare the weight of a Mr T silencer or pipework,they are a lot heavier and better made then the "aftermarket" one's.

They sell them cheaper because they use lighter gauge metal and less baffling - hence the "rasping" noise from the exhaust.They quite often tell you it will quieten down as it carbon's up a bit - but that is just a "crock of Sh*t".

Provided that it is the correct system for the Vehicle,all the mounting rubbers are ok and it has been fitted correctly - take it to a Garage and tell them you have a noise from the exhaust and get a 2nd opinion - good chance they will tell you the same.

IMHO - I wouldnt let Kw*k F*t near me Lawnmower let alone my car!!

:o :o

My local garage checked out the system - the rear box was leaking and the whole thing incorrectly fitted and bolted too close to the car floor. I got this check FOC and with sympathy. Kwik-Fit have changed the system again - appears fixed but I won't know until I've done a few runs.

I've penned a ripe letter to Kwik-Fit head office to get some bottoms kicked.

Would be suprised if you get a Sensible Answer from them - normally goes along the lines of " The person who fitted it is no longer with us " - Ha - more like " our fully qualified butchers have no idea what they are doing " :eek::eek:

• 1 month later...

Well after the long letter of complaint went to Kwik-Fit I was contacted by the area manager who invited me down last Saturday morning to give it a ful test (exhuast noise gone but odd shake at 60mph still). After re-balancing the rear wheels (and swapping the spare wheel and re-balancing that) I still get a shake at 60mph - Kwik Fit say this is "probably something mechanical", frankly they admitted they didn't know. Anyway nice to jump the queue and get treted with some respect on a Saturday morning.

Which leaves me with this odd shake that comes through the body of the car at 60mph (regardless of gear, worse when under load). What could this be? I've noticed the a judder on the clutch when puling off but no sign of slippage - is the clutch on the way out ?

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Garage are replacing flexible hose at front end of the exhaust in the New Year. The terrible slapping-of-belts sound at above 60mph was found to be the mudflap!!!!!!!!

Garage are replacing flexible hose at front end of the exhaust in the New Year. The terrible slapping-of-belts sound at above 60mph was found to be the mudflap!!!!!!!!

front flexi sounds about right. mine made a lovely growling noise while i was waiting for a new one to come from the garage lol, soon as they are disturbed they soon split.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links