Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ah Someone Help Me Pleaseeeeee

MattTodd

Hi,

Right, basically, I was jet set to buy a Celica, and I happened to see a nice MR2 for sale, non-turbo. Now I really can't decide. I think the MR2 looks nicer, and I've always loved them, but I'm worried about these 2 things:

a) 2 Seats not 4

B) Rear-Wheel Drive

I live out in the country, so when we get snow in March, an MR2 is going to be pretty useless in all reality.

My girlfriend has an '03 Fiesta Zetec TDCI, which is more than capable in the snow, and I have access to an '02 Corsa as well, so I should still be able to get about.

What would you guys reccommend. Part of me says, Go for it, if you can't have a 2-seater sports car when you're 19 when can you, stop being dull, but the other part says be sensible. The thought of a T-Bar next summer is pretty damn good though. And nows the time to buy I guess, everybody wants one in the summer right?

By the way, before you all ask, I already have an insurance quote, and I'm not a lunatic driver :-)

I really need to buy by the end of next week, as my current company car is going, so I'm looking for some advice, and owner's opinions of the car. Thanks guys. By the way, GI Joe, that's one sexy looking car, and I love Bibby's XBox setup.

Cheers guys,

Matt

Matt,

i love my MR2, its great. I love the t-bar, the looks, the performance, the look of "oh $h1t" on my passengers faces when i take roundabouts side on etc etc. Its a great toy. But for me, thats exactly what it is. Its my toy. If i used it everyday for commuting then im not sure id feel the same. The fuel aint that good, its impractical (only 2 seats), and you need to be a gymnast to get out of it. I have a company car which i use most of the time, but as far as a 2nd/weekend car goes its great. (oh, and chicks dig them!) :yes:

Matt,

i love my MR2, its great. I love the t-bar, the looks, the performance, the look of "oh $h1t" on my passengers faces when i take roundabouts side on etc etc. Its a great toy. But for me, thats exactly what it is. Its my toy. If i used it everyday for commuting then im not sure id feel the same. The fuel aint that good, its impractical (only 2 seats), and you need to be a gymnast to get out of it. I have a company car which i use most of the time, but as far as a 2nd/weekend car goes its great. (oh, and chicks dig them!) :yes:

Cool, that's pretty much what I thought. I have a car I use at work, so that's not too much trouble, and I have my girlfriends car as well, so it'd be kinda like a second car, I think I'd still use it a fair bit though. As far as fuel, its pretty much the same as a celica, and one hell of a lot better than the Range Rover I looked at, so not too much panic there. I would love one in the summer mind.

Matt

yeah I say go for the mr2 mate :) definatly!!! I love mine so much and I haven't had it that long at all. Yes ok its not that practical but I was surprised to see it has more room for things than you think at first, well layed out car.

yeah sometimes 2 seats is annoying but it just means you have to be more careful when picking your passengers lol ;)

If you want fun, and a head turner, then it's got to be an MR2. You'll have a grin from ear to ear every time you come off a roundabout, especially when you know the driver of the car behind just soiled his pants watching you do it. It's really oversteer v's understeer. I much prefer oversteer (with RWD), but understeer (FWD) is a bit safer to deal with. If you've got a 2nd car like me then the winter shouldn't be a problem (choose you car for the day depending on the weather) . Just think of those icey cold morings when there isn't a cloud in the sky. The T-bar is perfect for such an occasion (as long as you've got a warm coat on). Plus, snow and empty car parks, means fun fun fun!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

........, if you can't have a 2-seater sports car when you're 19 when can you,......

Matt

When your 37 and your kids "don't want to go" anymore :lol:

I had a similar choice.. celica gt or mr-s.. went for the later :thumbsup: (cos i always wanted a 2.)

i havnt had mine that long either and its already the best car ive had. maybe not that practical but the boots are bigger than you think, id say go for the MR everytime mate.

Pre-loaded question coming onto the MR2 part of the forum and asking! ;) :D

Have you asked the same on the Celica section??? (Me too lazy to look...)

In all seriousness, you won't regret getting an MR2. If you like it now, you'll fall in love with it once you've got it.

I can't really say which to go for because: 1, I don't know completely your personal circumstances (apart from what you've said) and 2, I've never owned a Celica.

You don't buy an MR2 for practicality... if you don't need that, and you only actually need 2 seats then get the MR2.

Best bit... you and 4 mates want to nip down the pub for a drink... right... "Who's driving?"... "sorry fellas... only got 2 seats"... and you don't look bad because of it! :D

Good luck which ever way you go... oh... and welcome to the forum mate. ;) :thumbsup:

Want the opinion of a Celica owner????? The FWD Celicas are pretty good cars.Plenty of power. Ample room. I wouldn`t say they`re a full on 4 seater. Defo a 2+2 unless the rear seat passengers are kids or dwarfs. and you can get a months shopping in the boot. Full on hatchback practicality. FWD is not really a sporting drive but it is a lot more predictable than the MR2 in dodgy conditions.

If you can run to it and you can afford the fuel then i would say a GT4 Celica is the way to go. Excellent handling. Reasonable fuel economy if you can keep it off boost (Yeah right) and i think they look the mutts. But i`m rediculously biassed. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Want the opinion of a Celica owner????? The FWD Celicas are pretty good cars.Plenty of power. Ample room. I wouldn`t say they`re a full on 4 seater. Defo a 2+2 unless the rear seat passengers are kids or dwarfs. and you can get a months shopping in the boot. Full on hatchback practicality. FWD is not really a sporting drive but it is a lot more predictable than the MR2 in dodgy conditions.

If you can run to it and you can afford the fuel then i would say a GT4 Celica is the way to go. Excellent handling. Reasonable fuel economy if you can keep it off boost (Yeah right) and i think they look the mutts. But i`m rediculously biassed.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Ah, unfortunately I can't get insured on a GT4. On an MR2 Turbo. Got to be an N/A. No bother like. I like GT-Four's too, but I think I might just go with the MR2 for now. I figure if I'm not happy with it, now's the time to try, because if I get to April and I need more space, and it's not practical enough, I shouldnt find it too difficult to sell at the start of summer right? Besides, some of you guy's car's just look to damn good ;-) Hopefully I'll be taking friday off work with a view to a purchase!

Cheers for input, think I just needed reassuring!

Matt (soon to be MR2 owner) :D

Im in the same boat as you, couldnt decide between a Gen6 Celica and MR2

Mk2, however its been decided for me... cant get Celica and Vespa in my garage, so MR2 it will be... I cant wait to get one now. Got my eye on one local though. Good luck getting yours.

By the way, GI Joe, that's one sexy looking car, and I love Bibby's XBox setup.

Cheers for that, and welcome to the club. I've got to agree with what the rest of the guys have said above. It is more practical than you'd expect (space/luggage wise) but I'd hate to have to run it as a daily driver. Hope you make a good decision.

Joe