Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Small Coolant Leak?

Toyota Mickey

Hi, I'm new on here so would like to say hello.

My wife has a 2000 1800 Avensis vvti and it has just started to loose a very small amount of coolant. It is such a small amount that the only reason I know about it is because I could smell anti freeze after the car had been on a long run.

I have had a look and can see some anti freeze marks behind the engine on top of the water pump and it looks like it may be coming from the head gasket : (

The engine is running at normal temp and we have just come back from a 350 mile run towing a caravan with no over heating problems, the oil and coolant are clean.

Could any one tell me if this a common problem and also where I can get any info on changing the HG if thats what I need to do, a Haynes manual would be nice but they do not print one yet.

Any help or advice gratefully accepted!

Mike

I take it you're not seeing any appreciable drop in the coolant level?

The water pump normally leaks a little. It takes time for the dynamic seal to build up when you start the engine and you get some condensate that can get out the pump. There are two drains built into the casting of the pump and if you get a mirror you may well be able to see the coolant tracks on it where it evaporates of and leaves a residue in place.

So long as you're not noticing a coolant level drop and there's no performance problems I'd just keep an eye on it. Doing any work on it would only cause potential problems elsewhere

I take it you're not seeing any appreciable drop in the coolant level?

The water pump normally leaks a little. It takes time for the dynamic seal to build up when you start the engine and you get some condensate that can get out the pump. There are two drains built into the casting of the pump and if you get a mirror you may well be able to see the coolant tracks on it where it evaporates of and leaves a residue in place.

So long as you're not noticing a coolant level drop and there's no performance problems I'd just keep an eye on it. Doing any work on it would only cause potential problems elsewhere

Hi mate, I have used a little mirror and from what I can see the leak ( small as it is ) is higher than the pump?????

I am seeing a coolant level drop but only about 5 to 10 mm after 400 mls.

I think I will do as you suggest and just keep an eye on it for now but I have a gut feeling that it will get worse rather than better as it has not used a drop of coolant in the last 2 years.

Sounds the wisest course of action for now.

If you can get a photo and want me to have a look let me know

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds the wisest course of action for now.

If you can get a photo and want me to have a look let me know

Thanks for that mate, I tried but could not get a good pic. What I have done ( rightly or wrongly because im not a great belever in add in quick fixes ! ) is added some Holts Rad Weld and the leak has stopped, well for now anyway. I will keep an eye on it and hope it lasts!