Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Got A Corolla Gti

rickoty

Hi all, I just aquired a j plate corolla Gti - 16 that's in need of a little tlc.

My first problem is actually getting it back to my house! :blink: It's been off the road for a while so I'm going to tow it back. I went to pick it up today ready with a tow pole and a mate with a van (who was in a bit of a hurry), I couldn't see a tow hook on the front of it. Do I have to take the bumper off and just find somewhere to attach the pole or is there a removable plate or the like that I've missed?

Feel a bit stupid posting this but I'd feel even more stupid if I went and took the bumper off only to find I'd missed an obvious panel! :wacko:

Rick

there's TWO towing eyelets on the rear poking through the valance, but there's one eyelet on the front crossmember, not really suitable for a poll, but rope will work, or a A-frame is better ?

There are also two eyelets which are below the front bumber mounted to the two front chassis rails

Thanks for the replies guys, it was the front of the chassis rails that I was planning on using, I hate towing with ropes though :( (and I don't have an a-frame)

yep a rigid tow is much safer. as said the two under the bumper will be fine but go armed with a 10mm and a 17mm socket incase the pole catches on the bumper. there are two 17mm bolts on the under side of the front chassis rails and a 10mm bolt on each wing (think thats it but maybe a couple more) and the bumper will come off.

welcome to the club.. nice to see someone getting a 92 as most seem to be selling these days

I got the car back no problems. Left the bumper on and used the holes in the chassis rails and the pole didn't hit it at all :) .

The tailgates rotten through like swiss cheese but I gather this is a common problem? suppose I'll just have to get handy with some filler for the moment :P

The brake discs are corroded unbelievably badly! took a lot of freeing and made some nasty noises on the way home <_<

Other than that the car seems pretty decent, So I'll be scouring eBay and probably asking you lot a few questions over the coming weeks!

Hopefully this is the start of a long and loving toyota ownership, :wub:

Rick

lol, 2 of the most common probs there - siezed rear calipers and rotten tailgates (check also rotten rear arches, back of sills/suspension turrets, A pillars and corner of roof, front wings...erm probably other places as well).

good luck with the project :thumbsup:

Hopefully this is the start of a long and loving toyota ownership,  :wub:

Rick

And an empty pocket :(

Good luck all the same, if I had the money/time I would love to sort mine out properly.

ICE

Its good to hear another Gti getting restored,most of um are dying and rotten.

Well it is a bit rotten :P but It's not dying! The front arches seem to be mostly filler but the rears are fine, small mercies and all that, :rolleyes:

Was hoping it was just needing discs and pads at the back but the more I think about and read on here, the more I think at least one caliper has siezed. :(

I like a challenge!

Here's a pic of it

04-10-05_1439.jpg

you're lucky with the arches, then - far easier to replace the front wings. you may be able to rebuild the calipers - check it's not just the sliders that are seized. brakes international do recon calipers for about £100 on an exchange basis.

If they are siezed I'd probably prefer to have a go at rebuilding them before buying recon ones, is it best to go to toyota for rebuild kits?

And is there a decent guide anywhere? AFAIK it's not too difficult but I've never done it before, and a good guide is like the holy grail in these situations!! :D

Another quick question, sorry :rolleyes:

I've read there's a difference in discs from early to late ae92, but when I looked on www.brakeparts.co.uk They only seem to sell one size, 242X9.

Whats the story here, and I have searched so apologies if I've missed the answer to this.

Yes, in all my years of owning a Corolla GTi i've seen this '2 sizes listed' in some books and that '89 was the change over year.

Yet from peolple I've known over the years fit them to various years of AE92 it appears one size has fitted all ;)

Theres some on eBay now

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Corolla-GTi-1...1QQcmdZViewItem

...yet 'claim' they are for early AE92 :blink:

Theres also some front wings

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/toyota-corolla-gti-N...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/toyota-corolla-gti-O...1QQcmdZViewItem

Have fun :D

Heres a picture of my AE92 (Which I bought in 1993) it's a '89 example

CorollaGTi.jpg

Thanks for that, funilly enough I've been looking at those things on eBay! seemed to come up at just the right time. :)

Your car looks great, the standard has been set, I'd better get to work! :D :D

EDIT :Reply on eBay about rear discs

Sorry for the confusion, but it was the size of the front discs that changed. From 1987 - Aug 1989 they were 238mm x 18mm, then from Aug 1989 to 1992 the size was increased to 258mm x 22mm. The size of the rear disc remained the same throughtout the entire period of the model's production run. Thanks

i'm not sure if toytoa do rebuild kits. brakes international sell all the items you'd need (im not on commission or anything :D ) - pistons (if it needed one), piston seals, slider boots etc.

i've got a car mechanics magazine somewhere, with a how-to on caliper rebuilds. i'll try and dig it out, as you can order back issues on the net, and i don't think they're any dearer

i've got a car mechanics magazine somewhere, with a how-to on caliper rebuilds. i'll try and dig it out, as you can order back issues on the net, and i don't think they're any dearer

That would be great if you could that mate.

And would it be the seal kit or the service kit I need? or the more probable BOTH <_< :P

well done. glad you got back ok.

front wings new are about £40-50 for pattern parts or £80 from mr t.

i may have a set of calipers soon but as has been said could just be the sliders that have seized.

have a good look round the car especialy in hidden areas (behind arch liners and quarter panel inner trim) for corosion as i found uite a bit at the base of the a post and the rear wheel house area.

other than that good luck

Brilliant thanks. I just ordered one :D

Now I have no excuses! (the bank may not agree but what ch'ya gonna do?)