Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance

sotal

Just had mine and the wifes insurance quotes through the post for renewal. Both had gone up by about £100 since last year. A quick search on the internet found other companies willing do to it for about £200 less on each, which is fair enough. The suprising thing I found though was that if I went to the company we were withs website. They also quoted about £150 less than the renewal quote. WTF are the doing that for??

I was telling my father in law about it last night and he said he had just had his renewal through from CIS and asked if I could look online for some quotes for him. I looked at some of the normal ones and we got it down about £150, which suprised him (he's been with CIS for years because he gets a 3% loyalty discount) Just out of interest we went on the CIS website for a quote a found out for the same cover instead of £395 which they sent on the renewal (that's with his 3% loyalty bonus!!) he could have the same level of cover etc for £210 that's nearly half!! :eek:

They seem to be completely taking the P <_<

Some companies have online saving schemes, like I'm with Tesco and I bought it online so I got an automatic 5% discount than if I'd paid over the phone - but £150 is a hell of a saving!

Personally, I cant stand how insurance companies work, because even if your the innocent party, your still guilty and you still have a "record" - I'm an insurance liability because people wont stop driving into me... I mean come on! :rolleyes:

It sucks - when we were looking for insurance for my mr2 - we did a quote for me on my own then just out of curiousity (sp) did one for rob on it on his own aswell

They wanted more to insure him on my NA 1989 mk1 mr2 than they did for him on his TURBO mk2 mr2! Work that out?! :blink:

It the way of the world though and you just have to shop around or grin and bear it im afraid - never be afraid to ask for a better quote - and always play the companies off against each other ;)

Hey, just wondering people, when did you put your own insurance on your own name?

cos im getting shelly's car, the Sr, and if its on my own name and standard it costs about £1800, but its got mods, and it'll go up to 5 grand if i keep the stuff.

Atm my dad's gona cover me, but im just wondering when it got cheaper for most of you guys. :thumbsup:

big T

I always use Adrian Flux.. every year they have cut my poilcy down by £80

the value of the car on the poilcy is still the same!

plus you can get gold discount with Adrian Flux :P

i'm with tesco till the end of the month then swapping to A.Flux...

on a jap import tesco are fairly good at £480 TPFT but adrian Flux are about £400 fully comp :thumbsup:

J

Adrian Flux were a it out with my quote. They want nearly a grand for Comprehensive Insurance on my Celica 1.8ST for me and the wife. Elephant only want £390 for the same cover. I can get insurance on a 1996 GT4 from elephant for under a grand! I phoned Adrian Flux up because so many people said they were good and you could haggle with them. Thye told me they could do it for about £700 - when I said I had a much better quote elsewhere they asked me how much it was - when I told them they laughed at me and told me I was stupid for wasting my time trying to beat Elephants quote because nobody would be able to beat it.

Definatley never going to touch Adrian Flux :<_<:

Haha, they said you'd never find nething cheaper than elephant? ... bit odd.. :blink:

What do u recon id get on a Starlet SR with nothing.. no no claims, no years exp, etc. (im only 17 :P still a kid :thumbsup::lol: Still got my provisional atm.. :( )

I dont think anyone answered my question about when u put your own name on your insurance.. and on what car really, because the insurance can change alot from that. Or do u recon i should deffinatly stick with having at least 1 years driving exp first..?

Big T

Ooops... just realised ive kinda taken over your post there Sotal. I didnt mean to highjack your post.

Sorry.. :P :(

Big T

Not worry Sotal - you're not paying the £700 that I have to fork out though - and that's just the car!!!

:D

I dont think anyone answered my question about when u put your own name on your insurance.. and on what car really, because the insurance can change alot from that.  Or do u recon i should deffinatly stick with having at least 1 years driving exp first..?

Big T

I went on my own insurance straight away, but then I was 21 when I passed my test, so it would have been cheaper anyway - my 1st car was an 800cc Daewoo Matiz, so not exactly the most powerful car in the world either! :thumbsup:

Adrian Flux are a broker, not an actual Insurance Company..they have access to some of the Top UK Insurers and search them to see a) who will insure you and B) what the prices are like. Sounds a bit weird saying that about elephant tho!

Hey, just wondering people, when did you put your own insurance on your own name?

cos im getting shelly's car, the Sr, and if its on my own name and standard it costs about £1800, but its got mods, and it'll go up to 5 grand if i keep the stuff.

Atm my dad's gona cover me, but im just wondering when it got cheaper for most of you guys.  :thumbsup:

big T

My Insurance has been in my own name since passing which was two years ago back in August 2003.

Haha, they said you'd never find nething cheaper than elephant? ... bit odd..  :blink:

What do u recon id get on a Starlet SR with nothing.. no no claims, no years exp, etc. (im only 17  :P  still a kid  :thumbsup:  :lol:  Still got my provisional atm..  :( )

I dont think anyone answered my question about when u put your own name on your insurance.. and on what car really, because the insurance can change alot from that.  Or do u recon i should deffinatly stick with having at least 1 years driving exp first..?

Big T

It's like the AA thinking they can beat anyones quote. They were over 900 pounds as well, then they ring you to get you to agree to it - when you tell them their not even close they don't even bother to try and get closer. This year the top three for me are:

1. Elephant

2. Admiral (parent company of elephant)

3. Tescos

Esure were the worst because they refused to insure me at all :(

Anyway - going on to your hijacked question :P I was on my dad's insurance for 2 years. Then an old woman wrote the car off by driving into the back of me and there was too much hassle with forms and stuff, luckily we had put that I was the main driver - if we hadn't and we had put down that I was an occasional driver they wouldn't have paid up. So after that I went on my own insurance for £800 Fully Comp on a Peugeot 306 DTurbo (Worst car I ever owned - and I had a metro once!!) Then I've had my own insurance since.

Same with my Sotal:

In order of cheapest:

1.Elephant

2. Bell (Under Admiral, as are Elephant)

3. Tesco

NU wanted nearly £1500 FC for my renewal!!!!

Gnome - do you find that motorbike insurance seems cheap compared to car??

I only have TPFT insurance on my bike but it's only £218. For a bike that does 0-60 in under 4 seconds and has a listed top speed of 172mph (think it has to be riderless to get there!) That's with pillion cover and everything. I would have thought it would have been the other way round???

Lol!

Well, my highly modified Bandit6/750 comes in at £420 TPF&T, which isn't all too bad considering my age & the bike. I do have 5 yrs NCB to hand which helps, but again, this is a bike with a listed top speed (Well, the motor at least), of about 150mph!

I think it would only cost me about £200 TPF&T at the most, if it was still standard with the small mods declared....

However, my first year on the Bandit on my ol 33bhp license, with 2 yrs NCB (From a ped and 125), was still £890 TPF&T. I've found that bike insurance prices drop far quicker and earlier than car insurance does though.

*Just had a quick check, and if I get a quote exactly the same as what my insurance is, MINUS the claim I made, it drops by just £30.....

That's with Elephant, my current insurers....

:wacko:

I started out on a cg 125 - and that was about 250 TP only for the first year then £200 for the second year, I had that for 2 years then got the Thundercat on my 21st Birthday, passed my test two days later and the insurance on the thundercat was about £350 hardley a difference going from 14bhp to 105bhp.

So what mods have you done to the bandit to get the insurance doubled??

I think insurance companies can "claim" to be the cheapest but then in the small print it says about "subject to status"

Diamond are always going on about being cheap for women - and they were actually, but stick on the extra premiums for paying monthly and they werent! :rolleyes:

Females aren't generally better drivers, they just don't go out in a blaze of glory like males do.

Most women drive on average slower than men, and have more difficulty with spacial awareness due to have a different layout for the brain. They can cope with doing more things at once etc (so it's swings and roundabouts) but due to a combination of the lack of spacial awareness and the fact they drive slower they have a lot more low speed bumps. A friend who works at an insurance company was telling me that 75% of claims are made by women.

Having said this I know some women who are excellent drivers and I know some men who can't drive to save their lives (literally)

ok, cheers people  :D

Big T

P.S how can females be better dirvers?!?!

i think ill hide from DA now..  :ph34r:

Dont need to hide from me.... just the other ladies on TOC :lol::lol:

It went from this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Gnome83/775daa27.jpg

To this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Gno...ostthere001.jpg

Progression piccies here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Gnome83/775daa27.jpg

You can see where I went from trying to use the original subframe, to "Ahh, sod it - out comes the grinder..." :D

Your progression pic is the same as the start picture!!

Your seat doesn't look too comfy on that final pic!

Is it just the angle of the photo or does the back end look quite up in the air??

Looks individually styled anyway - any perfromance upgrades?? Was it an accident that prompted you to alter the bike or was something you just wanted to do??

Looks liek lots of work went into it. Looks like a different bike! Resprayed Frame, Sprayed Engine, new chrome clocks etc

Diamond are always going on about being cheap for women - and they were actually, but stick on the extra premiums for paying monthly and they werent!  :rolleyes:

I was with Diamond for three years and paid off my insurance in full at the start of each year (on my credit card, I'm not rich or anything!! :lol: ) but once I asked to go onto monthly payments the premium went way up. Turned out I'd been getting an additional discount for paying by credit card!! I'm with Tesco now, even after being with Diamond for three years they still couldn't quote me cheaper than Tescos!!

Lol. By no means an accident. I had the seat unit sat in the garage for a year, and finally took the plunge this year. Have hardly used it, as it's been off road most of the year whilst me and my good mate have been working on it.

Seat is very high indeed. I'm now on tiptoes to get on, but with my little 31" inside leg, thats why. :D

I've yet to find a decent seat pad for it, so have a very temporary one I use (Basically a square piece of foamwith waterproof fabric on it!).

Performance wise, it's now sporting a GSXF750 (teapot) engine, Full Yoshi system, RAMAIR foam filters, HEL oil cooler and lines, Dyna coils and Taylor leads, and then a 14 tooth front sprocket. :D

I've yet to ride it with the new engine in; as it was a 600 engine before, so am eagerly awaiting the spring of 2006!