Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling Noise From Boot Of Celica

Hello everyone,

There is a rattling sound coming from the boot of my Celica. Quiet at low speed or smooth roads but very noticeable at higher speeds or rougher roads. Sounds like plastic trim vibrating against something and is coming from the boot of the car. I've tried removing the plastic cover below the rear windscreen. No joy. Removed all loose objects from the rear. Nothing else loose. Anyone had this problem? My only other thought is it might be the cardboard piece placed over the spare tyre.

I don't want to sound like a git but... why don't you take the cardboard peice out?? :P

Git :P

:lol:

I do the same thing - I think of answers to my own questions why I'm still typing!!

To add some more useful info. When I have the seats down and go over some rough bumpy roads I can hear that bit of board but it doesn't really make a rattling noise it makes a squeeky type noise as it rubs on the tyre. Sounds a bit like polystyrene

When I heard rattling from my boot it turned out to be coming from the plastic trim right at the back where it meets the side trim. I wedged some card between the two and, hey presto, rattle free driving again (apart from that drivers side window which many of us suffer from!!)

Just a thought, could be that.

Thank you to everyone who's replied. I took out everything from the back of the car and then put each item back in one at a time to find out what was causing the rattle. Turns out it was caused by a flat piece of stiff board placed over the spare wheel. I removed this and the noise appears to have gone. I suspect the board has warped over time with loads placed on it and no longer sits flush on top of the spare tyre well. Removing this board has left a cavity in the spare wheel well so I've reversed the tyre so that the alloy side is on top for support. Slight safety issue if I'm hit from behind and the tyre flies out? Should be ok though. Thanks again one and all.