Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Throttle Body Bypass

markweatherill

I came across this cheap and easy mod, it involves removing the coolant supply to the throttle body. Apparently there's a small gain from the incoming air not being heated up so much. The idea of heating the TB is to stop it icing up in cold weather...

Has anyone done this on a 4E or 5E engine?

never knew it had one. ill have to have a look. never heard of that one before though. if it does there may be a slight decrease in intake temp and therefore denser air. cant see it making alot of difference though

i know its a common thing to do...but on lt1's and ls1's etc (v8 found in the gm f-body, corvette...)...but i think here it would be pretty much essential, especially during winter. the reason they do it in america a lot is because most of the people doing it live in places with very mild winters...

and i never knew the paseo / 4efte / 5efe had such a system...

I'm not sure if the turbos have it... But my Sera does and I'd expect other NA engines in the family to have. I've read reports from people who did it on other engines ranging from no difference to a small but noticeable difference.

I'm pretty sure the 4E-FTE has it as well. Its cold, so I can't be bothered to go and look.

These hoses are underneath the TB so difficult to spot. They are mentioned in my USA spec Paseo manual 1995

• 6 months later...

Could you do me a HUGE favor and send me any links or items you will need in order to do a TB coolant bypass to my e-mail? I dont go on these forums too much but it will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

E-mail: myk02k@aol.com

THANKS! I've been looking for this mod for a while.

yeah, the 4efe has them. ive heard of this before, but thinking about it i cant see a decent gain as the air would surely be traveling too fast to be affected by this warm throttlebody... thats my thoughts anyway, and thats why i didnt bother doing it. (also i think the 4efe coldstart runs off this water feed.)

Rich.