Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Hmm What Was That Burning Smell?


OldSkoO1
 Share

Recommended Posts

On the way home today i was stuck behind a moped on a bendy road with double white lines so when i got the chance to overtake i did. I put it in 2nd gear and put foot down, the front left wheel lost complete traction when it hit the white line but i didnt skid or slide badly or anything i just felt the front left skip a little.

Then after the manouvre i smelt like a burning smell come in, maybe an electrical type smell i guess not fire like :P

Its hard to describe as i've never burnt the clutch on the corolla, the only time it was a similar smell was when i jet washed my car.

Any ideas what it could be? Im worried it is engine related as it started when i overtook and put my foot down. Could it be?

Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


The same thing happen to my CTS after a similar incident, i got a strong electrical burning smell coming through the vents in my car and few days later the engine, traction and VSC warning lights all came on.

If you continue to have this electrical smell coming through your vents after you start the car from leaving it off for a good few hours then you might have a similar problem.

I'm getting the car checked out on Monday, so I'll give you an update on the situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Well got the the car back from my local dealer and they seems to think the ECU was at fault and needed to be replaced.

After paying an extortionate amount of money getting it replaced (800 frigging pounds) only to get the warning lights appearing a couple of days later!

Anyway, went back to the dealer and they are refusing to refund me the cost of the replacement by saying the ECU was faulty and that it needed to be replaced anyway.

The only argument I can think of is that the new ECU must also be faulty if the warning lights are on again with the new ECU. If this is not the case then I believe that I should be entitled to a refund.

At the moment I'm waiting for the dealer to get a diagnostic report back from Toyota on what they think the error is.

Help or advice anyone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well got the the car back from my local dealer and they seems to think the ECU was at fault and needed to be replaced.

After paying an extortionate amount of money getting it replaced (800 frigging pounds) only to get the warning lights appearing a couple of days later!

Anyway, went back to the dealer and they are refusing to refund me the cost of the replacement by saying the ECU was faulty and that it needed to be replaced anyway.

The only argument I can think of is that the new ECU must also be faulty if the warning lights are on again with the new ECU. If this is not the case then I believe that I should be entitled to a refund.

At the moment I'm waiting for the dealer to get a diagnostic report back from Toyota on what they think the error is.

 

Help or advice anyone?

Yep, ring Toyota GB and inform them of this useless dealer, maybe they would be able to help you with a refund?

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Burning smells, mechanical noises, mechanical inconsistencies are so usual to feel in Corolla TS. It is difficult to judge what is problem and what is typical of the non refined operation that characterizes CTS. Uncertainty is always here and can drive us crazy!

I used to suspect the clutch for all burned smells but some smells have arised after pushing hard the engine with no serious clutch work on gear changes. Sometimes I have the feeling that the engine gets too hot and I wonder about the thermostat's functioning!

Some smells may come from wax used for isolation which is heated by the engine. But all materials smell when they are heated. In addition, the Corolla vent system somehow manages to bring in a lot of air from the hot engine bay.

How an ECU malfunction would result to burning smell and why this should be related to electrical wires? This can result only from extremely high current.

I think the problem should be a too hot engine which "burns" other things around it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership