Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cleaning

TSpot

Hi mates,

Two questions re cleaning if I may:

I'm getting some kind of stains on the headlamps, which seem to be dirt that does not come off (it's nothing in particular, on both lamps). The TS is 2005 model. Any ideas on which cleaners can be used or what's not recommended?

Also, is it safe to use the different sprays and shining materials on the dashboard? The plastic's color is getting a little light, on the doors as well.

Thanks!

as for the headlamps, warm soapy water, and a car cleaning brush, then dry it of and i give them a good squirt with window cleaning foam and rub it in, usually does the trick :thumbsup:

The dirt on your headlamps is a build up of flies and traffic film. Simple answer to removal is to wash your car regularly. If the stains are still present, then baby wipes are a quite good remover at first, but leave no protection thereafter. Use a good bug/tar remover on them, and then use a good cream glass cleaner (or foam or spray, so long as it's a decent car one) and then apply a thin layer of Rain-X if you can... this will allow dirt to glide off a bit more easily and will ease washing in the future.

If your dashboard is becoming dull then there a few things you can do, the best is to first give it a good clean with a sponge and warm soapy water (don't drench the thing!) using a brush for around dials. Then use a damp chamois or microfibre cloth to wipe away excess and then a good dash spray like Autoglym or Turtlewax will bring it to a nice non-sticky shine. Or you can use another dry microfibre and apply simple household pledge to it. If you want instant shine, then a quick shine pad will do, but that isn't a lasting solution. Also, DON'T use a shoe polisher, use CAR products, there are chemicals in the shoe ones that can cause the dash to wear prematurly over time (so i read somewhere anyway!)

Oh, before anyone asks, no my dash isn't clean, it hasn't been cleaned since JAE! My car is 100% filth on the inside at the moment and the outside looks a bit un-sightly at the mo too! Time to get the bucket filled....

I use a wet piece of Bounty kitchen roll on our dashboards followed by a dry one, removes all the dirt and doesnt cause any harm.

I hope you dont resemble one of the 'ladies' off the bounty adverts :o Didnt someone on here use tyre polish stuff to make the black bits on the dash a nice matt colour?

If your dashboard is becoming dull then there a few things you can do, the best is to first give it a good clean with a sponge and warm soapy water (don't drench the thing!) using a brush for around dials. Then use a damp chamois or microfibre cloth to wipe away excess and then a good dash spray like Autoglym or Turtlewax will bring it to a nice non-sticky shine.

Bought the Turtlewax spray today. Usually I prefer not to use these kind of sprays on the dashboard, since I had bad experience with American Eagle, but you recommended and it's Turtlewax, so I gave it a shot. I didn't spray it directly, but used a cloth instead. Though I did it after dark, it seems that it brought the dash back to life!

Thanks for the tip! Hopefullly the grey dirt on the cloth is not my dashboard melting but dirt that remained after cleanin with water...

Purple Helmet polish - "Mr Sheen" basically, but comes from local bike shop, and is purple.... :D

Works wonders on the dash, or when simly giving the car a quck polish over...

I had one of those sponge polish pads for interiors. Did the dash and it was a little too shiny. All those reflections! B)

A rub over with a dry cloth helped tone it down. :rolleyes:

:(  Baby wipes and glass cleaner couldn't romove the stains...

More ideas?

It really shouldn't be difficult to remove stains on a new car. Are you sure they are on the outside of the glass? Take it to Mr T and see what they say. My car's a 2005 and I'm not getting your problems.

Another thought, the glass isn't scratched is it?

It really shouldn't be difficult to remove stains on a new car. Are you sure they are on the outside of the glass? Take it to Mr T and see what they say. My car's a 2005 and I'm not getting your problems.

Another thought, the glass isn't scratched is it?

The stains were not on the glass, they were on the head lamps. Anyway, we took our third Toyota to the garage today for service, and brought my car as well. I asked them to get it off if possible. They used some gentle polish material and succeeded. They also said that if they couldn't do it - it's covered by warranty...